cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design Momentum , Think Twice Before BIG Mistake

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
I would think twice about Grand Design Momentum. I own one it has been camped in twice. So far I have replaced all grease seals and brakes shoes. GD response was a link to LCI were I could buy new parts. Awning upgrade, Kitchen faucet replacement, Rear toy hauler ramp repair to keep it from falling off. Five new tires.Garage lights replaced. Propane tank retainers replaced. Fuel filter added to gen set. Awning light replaced. Replaced DVD/stereo system. All of this was done out of my wallet. The last straw for me was when my main (center) 15K AC went out at 25 hours of use. We where out of town with 3 guest in RV. GD was of no help. I ended up getting the only Dometic certified installer in area to replace it. Cost to me
$ 900. I took the time and effort to bring old AC home. I contacted GD once we got home and offered to take it local dealer or whoever they wanted to look at it within 75 miles. That was 3 weeks ago never heard anything from them.
The Grand Design Owners Forum is tightly controlled for negative comments so don't get fooled like I did.
65 REPLIES 65

taken
Explorer
Explorer
SC1 is for real. They've posted the same experience over on IRV2.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I call BS...brand new member, first post, and not back to answer further questions. I don't own a GD either, but it appears to be a quality product. Sounds like OP didnt use much common sense when it came to warranty repairs. Most of his problems, if "actual" problems would have been taken care of by dealer or manufacturer.

Possible Troll? I'll apologize if I see a long listing of repairs and cost...not buying it.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
If this is a new unit, the next trip should have been back to the selling dealer, as said before they would all be warranty items,(that should have been caught in the PDI). Would you call Ford if you had problems with your F150 or would you go to the dealer?

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Something is not right about this post. If the camper was new as suggested all or nearly all of those things were warranty items. I am not a GD owner but I know a quality piece when I see it and GD is near the top. Sounds like BS like the F-150 EB post earlier
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Your experience with your Momentum is much different than ours. We just celebrated our 1 year anniversary full-timing in our 380TH and have travelled 11,000 miles. We've had a few issues, but Grand Design responded and took care of every one. Our rig spent 1 day at a dealer and every other issue has been parts replaced by me that they shipped at their expense to wherever we were at the time.

As for the Owners forum, I've been a member over a year and it is operated privately by an individual owner ourside of the company. I'm not sure why you thought anything was tightly controlled as I've seen plenty of rants from people with problems. However, in most cases when they went to the company the oeonl was resolved. Anyway, sorry you've had a bad experience and maybe tol hAve better luck with another company's product. We plan to be using ours for years to come.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
Because we have had an awful experience with another company's customer service I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We now own a Grand Design Reflection. It is our fourth FW and we have never experienced better support/ service. That seems to be one of Grand Design's greatest assets-superb customer service! As to the Grand Design Forum- we have frequently used the forum and I've never noticed censoring. There are always new owners signing in to forum. Perhaps the seeming lack of negative comments is due to the fact that there are so many satisfied customers -but even those who have had issues with their rig have little complaint against customer service! Can't understand why that hasn't been your experience.