Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Ton Fifth wheel advice...

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

Ok, The research has begun for the HT 5er.

Im towing with a f150 ecoboost. I am either gonna rig a sliding hitch or configure the rig with the reese pinbox...

sooo. I have seen the Cougars and looking at the jayco Eagle HT...

what are your thoughts on said rigs... and any other suggestions. I am in California. But am willing to drive to pick the the thing up. I just need the honest opinion....

Thanks
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun
33 REPLIES 33

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a bigger debt...oops I meant truck! 🙂

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Shadow_Grey wrote:
Lantley wrote:
sail2liv wrote:
If you are getting a 5 er....chances are you plan on keeping so why not get a 3/4 T truck or something bigger if you plan on moving up?

I get a kick out of guys that choose the smallest thing they can get away with as a TV then choose the largest rig they can find to pull?
But in the end we all have are reasons and the freedom to choose and do as we please.

It's funny too, a lot of you think you only get one chance to buy a truck. If I decide to move up in 5er, I will simply get a bigger truck too. Right now, if the camper only gets used 8-10 times a year, it is hard to justify driving that 1 ton dually to/from work, when a heavy 1/2 ton would be much more enjoyable everyday and pulls our camper real good.

Remember, just like campers, they make trucks everyday too.

Hey Shadows I understand your point and I don't want to hijack this thread.
I respect that everyone has different wants and needs. Trucks and RV's are expensive. I try to find a combo that will last me awhile in order to avoid upgrading either every few years. I try to foresee at least the next 10 years when I purchase.
Funny I do take a one chance to get it right approach vs. change vehicles as necessary. Experience has taught me it's cheaper that way. It always cost more to get it right the 2nd time. For the record I have had my share of getting it right the 2nd time and I try to avoid that scenario.
Once I set my sites on a 5'er, I purchased a dually for my next truck when the time came. I towed my prior TT with the dually for awhile in anticipation of the fiver.
In the end we all have our reasons,frequency of use is certainly an important factor.

Lantley...

Honestly I thought i was gonna stick with the standard travel trailer... but the bug has hit the family hard... I commute soo much that i can't justify trading a brand new truck.. taking the hit for a new vehicle trade... You are right.... a 5er is a purchase that is intended to last a while... Im gonna keep this thing until i retire... or hit the lotto! lol

I have actually taken the time to talk to the gurus at Ford... The deerborn plant guys are awesome... So I know what I can tow and shouldn't.... My next truck will either be a F350 SRW or a Dodge Cummins Diesel... but until I can cut my commute in half...

And.. an informative HT 5er thread is need. Even Keystone says 50-70% of its sales are in the HT 5er weight range... soooo we are gonna see a bunch of these things....

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the May Trailer Life article on half-ton fivers:
http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-trailer-news/half-ton-fun/

I thought the Forest River Shasta Phoenix line looked pretty good.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
LindanMick wrote:
Don't even think of using a 1/2 ton to go camping with, you can only camp with at the least a one ton dually. I personally think a 450 minimum for a 5er. The dealers lie about the campers. :B

We have over 50,000 miles on our Tundra and a large part of that is with the Flagstaff following. I would not go bigger on a camper, but it's not for the truck. Fuel mileage is not that great but the Tundra is for back and forth to work, all 9 miles.

And I do own a F350 diesel but it's a beast of burden as a daily. I will use it because we are getting a bigger 5er.

You sir, are too funny! :B

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
My truck doubles as a tow vehicle when go 'camping". It is my main form of transportation. I can put it anywhere I put my F150. I'm Not willing to go through all the inconvenience of having to drive a big long wheelbase dually every day for the few times (comparatively) I use it for towing especially when the F250 fits the bill for what I'm towing. I know some people who have super crew long wheel base DWR trucks just because they like the looks. And that just fine with me but I'm a little more practical. Now before people start "going off" let me say that I'm not saying people here fall into that category, let me say that's just MY feelings. If one feels that a DRW is needed for comfort, peace of mind or safety then I say "go for it" by all means.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

LindanMick
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even think of using a 1/2 ton to go camping with, you can only camp with at the least a one ton dually. I personally think a 450 minimum for a 5er. The dealers lie about the campers. :B

We have over 50,000 miles on our Tundra and a large part of that is with the Flagstaff following. I would not go bigger on a camper, but it's not for the truck. Fuel mileage is not that great but the Tundra is for back and forth to work, all 9 miles.

And I do own a F350 diesel but it's a beast of burden as a daily. I will use it because we are getting a bigger 5er.

Redward
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cougar XL lite; 7600 pounds dry, 1415 Pin Weight GVWR 10,000. It is half ton towable rated. 28RDB sleeps 10 with double rear bunks, couch, dinette and pee wee queen. I bought it because we liked the floor plan and all standard options. I pull it with a 3500 SRW Ram Diesel, but would not hesitate pulling it with a max tow, F150 eco boost.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigcitypopo wrote:
I really dont want any larger of a unit... i dont want campsite restrictions... a 250/2500 is out of reach with a 1yr old truck. I'll take it in the shorts on a trade in... yuck!

i have upgraded shocks, have added a helper spring and ride rites. and upgraded the trans cooler...

just need to be patient for the right rig

Have you compared the physical size of a F150 to an F250 lately? I don't see that much difference.

I drive mine every day and can put it just about anywhere, far better than stretching the limits on a semi floating rear axle.

Currently the F150 GVWR is currently running about 95% or more of total GAWR, which means that you can exceed the GRAWR without exceeding the GVWR.

Yes, I also exceed my GVWR, but I still have 1,000# of rear axle capacity, on a full floating rear axle which means I have four big bearings supporting my payload, not two small bearings, and I don't need or have air bags. The truck came stock with a camper package and has one ton rear springs.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Payload is one thing but the most important spec is the GRAWR. Lots of people tow with a unit that puts them a little over on payload but well under the GRAWR. I'm not saying either way is correct but pay more attention to the latter.

-BC-
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I really dont want any larger of a unit... i dont want campsite restrictions... a 250/2500 is out of reach with a 1yr old truck. I'll take it in the shorts on a trade in... yuck!

i have upgraded shocks, have added a helper spring and ride rites. and upgraded the trans cooler...

just need to be patient for the right rig

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
fivecodys wrote:
Our Flaggstaff has the lightest (actual) pin weight I could find at the time.
1,100 lbs.
I'm still over cargo capacity.

Been happy with the unit.

Anyway you can get a 3/4 ton truck?
Your trailer choices will be a lot better.
I wish I would have. (not knocking the truck it's been great)

Bill

You can also step up to a 1 ton (350/3500) SRW, and have even more choices.

It just scares me to death the number of 1/2 ton owners that thing Air bags and Super Springs, solve the issues of the Semi floating 5 to 7 lug rear axles under the load they are putting on it. Wait until they see one of their rear tires passing them on the highway.

That's true..
But to be fair, It's not just 1/2 tons.....I have seen an awful lot of 3/4 ton trucks pulling huge toy haulers that are way over loaded too!
We have a friend who does that. Very scarry!

It seems as though the only education people get about towing is on this site and that is a very small percentage of the people out there towing.

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
Air Lift 5000

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fivecodys wrote:
1,100 lbs.

Bill

You can also step up to a 1 ton (350/3500) SRW, and have even more choices.

It just scares me to death the number of 1/2 ton owners that think Air bags and Super Springs, solve the issues of the Semi floating 5 to 7 lug rear axles under the load they are putting on it. Wait until they see one of their rear tires passing them on the highway.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
1,100 lbs.

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
Air Lift 5000

jeepman71
Explorer
Explorer
Forrest River has the Reese pin box standard and I'm a little biased but not so sure the Jayco is best. I see a lot of Rockwood/Flagstaff products on the road.