cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home DVR players in 5ers

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Had a buddy ask me this question as he just bought a '14 TH 5er. Came w/ a DVR player but wanted to know if he could take the DVR player from his house (it's Dish or Direct satellite), put in his 5er and watch it instead of the one that's in the 5er? Told him I'd ask as I didn't know and we hardly watch movies as it is in camper wether it's a VHS or DVD. News, NASCAR or perhaps a tv show--that's it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
19 REPLIES 19

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
Dish on their webpage has a "Hopper Go" for 99 bucks that says it's "Coming Soon" that will fit in the palm of your hand and hold 100 hours of recordings. It works wireless with you Hooper dumping recordings to the device then you can attach up to 5 dives to it and watch movies. No dish or receiver required.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gearitis wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Before I get back to him, I think he just wants to take the DVR from the house and put in 5er and hook up to his tv. No connection to any kind of antenna or dish. From what I'm seeing for replies is that the DVR from his house which is fed via a satellite needs to have the same kind of set-up on his 5er in order for him to watch whatever he's recorded. All he wants to do is watch what's on his DVR and not worry about being hooked up to the dish.

Can he do just that though?

No, not with Dish. If you take the External HD from the 211 or 722 you must have the Dish Network satellite box to connect to because of the format that was recorded. Now I have moved the External HD from my 211 to my 722 and even my Hopper and was able to watch what was recorded. But No, you cannot just plug usb external hd into TV and watch, you must have the Dish box to plug into and watch thru that. You do not need a satellite dish as I have watched what was on the external HD thru my 211 without sat dish connected.

He didn't mention anything about an "external HD"...he's talking only about a DVR. I think you are not realizing that a DVR is a "Dish Network satellite box".

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
All he wants to do is watch what's on his DVR and not worry about being hooked up to the dish.

Yes, he can. If the recordings are on a DVR (not external hard drive), he can connect the DVR to a TV and watch all the programs that has been previously recorded on the DVR. No antenna required.

When we have DiSH blackouts (no signal)... i can still watch any of my recorded programs. Same thing as having no antenna at all.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I watch tv shows on my directtv DVR all the time without connecting it to a dish. It's the receiver from my garage I swap into the camper when we take off. Hardly ever hook to a dish. I have never tried to record from antenna or cable and I have my doubts that it would. No problem at all watching previously recorded tv shows.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Before I get back to him, I think he just wants to take the DVR from the house and put in 5er and hook up to his tv. No connection to any kind of antenna or dish. From what I'm seeing for replies is that the DVR from his house which is fed via a satellite needs to have the same kind of set-up on his 5er in order for him to watch whatever he's recorded. All he wants to do is watch what's on his DVR and not worry about being hooked up to the dish.

No, not with Dish. If you take the External HD from the 211 or 722 you must have the Dish Network satellite box to connect to because of the format that was recorded. Now I have moved the External HD from my 211 to my 722 and even my Hopper and was able to watch what was recorded. But No, you cannot just plug usb external hd into TV and watch, you must have the Dish box to plug into and watch thru that. You do not need a satellite dish as I have watched what was on the external HD thru my 211 without sat dish connected.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer

2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Gearitis wrote:
Yep, I do it all the time, in fact I have a Dish VIP211k and added the DVR feature and purchased an external HD, plugged it in and wa, la, DVR.

Not to derail this topic, but I was thinking of doing the same and was wondering if you can fast forward and rewind with the added external HD? I realize that you do have to record live.

Yes you can.

Cool,
Thanks.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope doesn't happen to our DISH DVRs. We take both of our 722 DVRs and put them in the motor home that has a DISH equipped Wineguard Trav'ler. All the programs that we have recorded at home stay on the DVR and we continue to watch them at our leisure in the motor home.

When we get to Oregon, I delete all the set recordings for the local channels at home (LA stations) and then go through the program listing and then set up the recording of the same programs but from the Portland local channels. I keep all the non-local channels that I have set up for recording as the channels don't change.

Works for us.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
Just throwing this out there because I didn't see it mentioned.

We use cable provider with "whole home dvr".

What has happened to us..
The box lost power for x time (I think an hour or so..). Guess what wasn't on the DVR when it booted back up?

You got it, all the shows/movies that were on it. I don't know if this will happen for all box types but something to be aware of as a possibility.
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK

dedmiston
lanerd wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Had a buddy ask me this question as he just bought a '14 TH 5er. Came w/ a DVR player but wanted to know if he could take the DVR player from his house (it's Dish or Direct satellite), put in his 5er and watch it instead of the one that's in the 5er? Told him I'd ask as I didn't know and we hardly watch movies as it is in camper wether it's a VHS or DVD. News, NASCAR or perhaps a tv show--that's it.

Yes, "if" the sat antenna (either on the roof or a portable one) is compatible with the DVR. The antennas are brand specific, but some can be "reconfigured".

So if his DVR is a DISH DVR and the antenna on the rv is DISH, then the answer is YES. But if the antenna is DIRECT and the DVR is DISH, then NO.

Ron

And if the DirecTV DVR is HD, then the antenna needs to be HD too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I too am not sure if "home" DVR's have to be "mated" to their home systems in order to play any recordings. Never tried it w/ours as ours is FiOS.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:

Yes, "if" the sat antenna (either on the roof or a portable one) is compatible with the DVR. The antennas are brand specific, but some can be "reconfigured".

So if his DVR is a DISH DVR and the antenna on the rv is DISH, then the answer is YES. But if the antenna is DIRECT and the DVR is DISH, then NO.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
I use my home HD DVR with my King on every trip. No worries. The King isn't HD but the DVR doesn't care.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I read that a DTV DVR will not work as a stand lone device. It needs to see the dish. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021