cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hooking Up with a Bed Cover

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I have always lined up the pin and the hitch visually. When I got the BakFlip folding bed cover it just did not dawn on me that when folded back for hook up and travel it would completely block my vision of the hitch. I hooked up today for the first time to see how things would sit. It took me several false tries and a few trips out of the truck before I finally got it lined up.

I was wondering if there are any tricks to doing this. The obvious answer is have someone directing me but today, and at times, this won't be possible. The other obvious answer is get a different cover but I bought it on line a month or so before I got the truck and have had it on for a couple of weeks now so I doubt I could return it. The boxes have gone to recycle heaven, also.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR
28 REPLIES 28

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Dankenbring wrote:
At our local auto parts store I got a rear camera so I can view everything.. It can be mounted so you can see the fifth wheel.

I tried this but because the camera is in the shaded/dark the sun light coming from the back of the bed blinds the camera. I have thought of putting a back up light next to the camera to put light on the front of the hitch so I can see it. I have a remote that I can run the kingpin up and down. I know there is a solution but so far other than my wife running the legs up and down I have not found it.......

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
X 54 on a piece of tape.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
... find reference points on the trailer with the sides of the truck and back in.

I also use a method of measuring the height of the TV box and the height of the pin so the pin is nearly always on the money. Rarely does it take a second chance at setting the latch.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I just line up the truck with the trailer, back up so far, get out and have a look, adjust if necessary, back into the king pin. Now I have a dually so the rear end of the truck is as wide as the trailer, almost so it's not to difficult. With a SRW truck find reference points on the trailer with the sides of the truck and back in.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

ronday
Explorer
Explorer
I do basically the same thing. Painted a white stripe in the middle of the folded up cover. Look in the rear view mirror, line up the stripe with the king pin and I'm good to go. Ron
2008 Chevy 2500HD D/A, Crewcab SB, Pullrite superglide
2011 Big Country BC 3250TS 33ft 5ver
2005 Fleetwood 26ft 5ver
2005 Sun Lite Truck Camper
Ron - 29 yrs HS Tech Teacher (ret) 24 yrs USN/USNR Chief (ret)
Sheila - 29 yrs HS Home and Careers Teacher (ret)

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a tri-fold tonno cover. I put a piece of this yellow electrical tape down the center of the pin box. I hooked up to the fiver then lined up a piece of the yellow tape on the tonno cover. Now when I back up I just have to line up the two pieces of tape in the rear view mirror. I also installed a Hopkins level plus to set the hitch height. Works for me! Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I Take a simple spring clamp and clamp it to the hitch. There is a large bolt on my hitch right in the center that I clamp it to!
The spring clamp (think heavy duty clothes pin)extends up high enough that I can see it over the cover. Essentially the clamp marks the center of the hitch allowing me to see it from the cab.
I simply align the clamp with the pin on the trailer. No mirrors,no cameras,very simple.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bak flip also and I put a piece of blue painters tape on the inside of the folded panel that is on top after folding. It is in the center of the panel lined up with the center of the hitch. Works great and is easy to see from the drivers seat.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Just for this purpose I put a small piece of white tape on the bottom center of my rear view mirror, a small piece of white tape on the bottom center of my rear sliding window and a small piece of white tape on the forward facing, center, and upper portion of my hitch. All I do is line up all pieces of tape while looking in my rear view mirror and slowly back up toward the hitch. I can usually back within a few inches of the connect point on the first try. This simple method is like lining up the sights on a rifle: align the front and rear sights (mirror and back window) to the target (white tape on hitch). If you can not see your hitch, try putting the tape on the part of your pin box that you can see from the driver seat. You asked for simple ideas, so here is what works for me.

Lakeside

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
rtazz17 wrote:
I have a bak flip cover too.I put a mirror on the nose of fiver to see hitch.Works great.5 bucks.

How did you attach it and do you leave it attached?
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a roll up cover. Even without it I can't see my hitch with a crew cab shortbox truck. No big deal. I use a couple reference points on the trailer with my mirrors and I get out a couple times to check it before I hitch. It's the only way I have ever done it..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bak flip cover too.I put a mirror on the nose of fiver to see hitch.Works great.5 bucks.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the BakFlip as well. My truck window has the center slider. I line up the edge of that window with the edge of the pin box; works for me. I suppose you could also make a mark on the cover fora target.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Dankenbring
Explorer
Explorer
At our local auto parts store I got a rear camera so I can view everything.. It can be mounted so you can see the fifth wheel.