cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you wax the front cap of your Fifth Wheel?

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
Having a problem reaching all the areas of the front cap to rub out and wax. Any easy way?
24 REPLIES 24

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care how she gets it done as long as dinner is ready on time.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with ChopperBill. Leave it to the pros.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Best way I know is the dry wash. They are pretty good cleaners, even on bugs, but get their application and removal tools. They extended. My easiest way is too back truck up close and use this tool. I'm short and yet I can get it cleaned with the extend tool.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Ya no free lunch cleaning these beasts. I stand in truck bed with extended brush and towel wrapped. Wax on towel to apply and clean towel to remove. Then a microfibre to finish. On to roof to do the last bit.

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same as most others with a tall step ladder. For the very top where the gel-coat meets the rubber roof I get up on the roof. I guess if you're looking for an easier way then one option is to hire a pro detailer but it'll cost you.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
K'sKamper wrote:
Thank you everyone, using all your suggestions, was hoping for something easier.

Suran wrap :W But I guess that takes a ladder also. I bet you have a gardener doing your lawn also :B Next project, window cleaning....
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
K'sKamper wrote:
Thank you everyone, using all your suggestions, was hoping for something easier.

Want it easy. Here is my way. For my birthday and Christmas for a special treat when we get to AZ for the winter I have the fifth wheel washed and waxed by the pros. They even spruce up the frame rails, hitch, front and rear jacks and running gear. Takes them half a day and about $225. Never looks better.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
I have a piece of 1" plywood cut 2'x6' and lay it in top of the truck bed rails, and back up to the 5th wheel..

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
With the trailer on the truck and the wheels well chocked;

run the landing gear all the way down without lowering the lower legs and lift the pin.

Unhitch.

Raise the landing gear (lowering the nose) as far as it will go. With the trailer kneeling you can reach a lot more of the nose from the ground or a short ladder.

To keep from overheating the motor(s) when bringing it back to level, you may want to run it half way up, go enjoy a beverage of your choice, then run it the rest of the way .

P.S. I do this as seldom as I can get away with. If I wanted to work this hard I wouldn't have retired.
. Thus is how I do it. Lower the front all the way, then I use my 7 ft step ladder... About as easy as it gets.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
roman traveler wrote:
Tall ladder and tall son that needs a little extra cash.

RT

Unfortunately my tall son lives in California too!

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Tall ladder and tall son that needs a little extra cash.

RT

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
10' step ladder. Use it to do all 4 sides above arms reach from ground.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"