cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How far have you traveled to buy/pickup your rig?

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have searched and found a fifth wheel that I believe would be perfect for my family. It is quite far from my residence though so I am considering a pretty long road trip to pick it up. How far have you traveled to pick up yours? Maybe it will make me feel better hearing about other road purchases while I consider such a thing.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*
53 REPLIES 53

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
Ours was shipped from Indiana to Ca by U-Ship. Cheap, fast and easy.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

j2catfish
Explorer
Explorer
From Newport, NC to Casper WY, in 2007. Its not a trip, its an adventure. Local services is no big deal as the Teton Homes are no longer manufactured. So far no major problems other than several blown out Goodyear tires with the attendant side repairs. This is my second Teton, first was bought in Atlanta; would buy again if they were available.
Regards,
Catfish
K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
2760 and worth the trip. Camped on the way home. Ohio to San Antonio TX.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I went 100 miles to buy the 5er and about 225 to get a truck.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Distances determined by using (internet) city to city distance calculator. ("Home" location = So. CA)

Both purchased new in year indicated.

(2005) 1T CTD Dodge pickup. Ready to "travel" 1567 miles for price at dealer *cost* (not dealer invoice).

Would have required plane trip to accomplish same.

A closer to home dealer -70 miles away- came within $500. of the "travel" price.....so 70 miles it was.

(2006) Fifth Wheel - 1,017 miles. (Just another camping trip on the way back - with pickup above).

Would do either again in a heartbeat.

~

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
First 5er to Dayton, OH, second to northern Michigan. Live on the California coast. Flew to both then hired a shipping agency to bring them out. First time was a good experience. Driver picked up RV at 10am Monday morning, arrived in Morro Bay at 7pm Wednesday. Second RV was not such a great experience.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
About 32 miles was the longest distance we've driven to purchase an RV. Shortest distance, about 10 miles. Always got great deals and good service.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We drove 300 miles one way. Well worth it. I don't have a local dealer anyway so as far as warranty work went I was on my own. I do have two dealers in state. One 70 miles and the other 50 miles. Better deal with the one 300 miles away. I had a couple issues early on. One was a slight water leak. MFG sent me a part that was wrong. So they ended up setting me up with a local independent RV repair shop. Fixed in a couple hrs while I waited.
My theory is that most RV's don't really need to go back to the dealer for repairs. Most can be done with parts sent from the MFG. I would rather save $1000's and do some warranty work myself. I guess it depends on how handy you are. I certainly wouldn't give up 2-3 weeks of camping to have my RV sitting at a dealer waiting for work. The time it takes to hookup, drop off then return to get it and hope that it's fixed right just isn't worth it to me. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe most trailers don't have problems that are that hard to repair, but of the 3 trailers we've owned, none have had anything serious. If you can replace most things in your home and do repairs needed then you can fix most things on a trailer.
I'll travel again for our next one. Mainly because of the 3 dealers in town none carry what we want.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
1000 miles each way and I would do the same thing again. Saved big money. I now fulltime so I have no 'local dealer' anyway.

My manufacturer (Heartland/Bighorn) said they would work with me to find a local dealer or a mobile mechanic for any needed warranty work - and they did. No problems. I think the fear of having no local dealer who will work on your trailer is way overblown. Is probably accurate in some instances, but not in most.

Elizabeth24
Explorer
Explorer
When we were ready to purchase our Truck Camper, we found a dealer in Chilliwack BC that offered us a far better price than the dealer in Calgary. We were very fortunate that they both had the same model so we were able to visit the Calgary dealer and got all of our questions answered but they would not match the price (over 8K difference) so we drove to BC to purchase. Once we discovered that the TC was not to our liking we went back to the BC dealer(next year) and traded for a TT.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A very long day of air travel, 3 flights, plus ground, another hour. Must have been 2500 miles Bermuda to Georgetown, Texas.

That was just to look, purchase & put into storage for the winter. Had to fly back next spring to get it then bring it to Maryland.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered our fiver from dealer in Mesa AZ. Found that I could save delivery charges ( about $3K) if I went to Indiana to pick it up. Had a great trip there and back, beside saving some $$.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

dedmiston
Only 80 miles to pick up our fiver. That was the easy one.

We flew from L.A. to Houston to get my truck from TexasDirectAuto.com. They were fantastic. They picked us up from the airport, we did the deal pretty quickly, and then we hit the road for the 1,600 mile drive home.

We also flew from L.A. to Spokane to pick up my wife's car from Post Falls Idaho in February. The roads south down the panhandle aren't good in the winter, so we looped to the east through Montana and came down I-15 through Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and back into California. We didn't make it very far the first day and I had to get home to see the Superbowl that weekend, so we set our new one-day distance record of 1,060 miles from Dillon, MT, to L.A. The new car was ready for an oil change by the time we got it home from the dealer.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Got our Escape from out near you. Southwick MA to Chilliwack BC, 3062 miles, or 4927 km according to google, one way. They have no dealers, you either take a vacation to go get it or pay to have it shipped to your door, think they said $1.50 a mile in 2014.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA