cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting thought on Ford's Eco Boost engines

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
I own a Ram Cummins but found this video interesting because it parallels what we have noticed about our new Ford Escape with Eco Boost. This little 1.5 has unbelievable power....when called for..and good economy...when conditions are right. I believe all those folks I have talked to about pulling a trailer with an F150 Eco Boost experience the same thing. Watch this short video, interesting observation!! It won't do both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVVqr5xS8s
28 REPLIES 28

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
....Many F150HD owners report a rear axle weight in the 2300-2500 lb range depending on selections...
Actually, 2500 lbs is way off base. The current aluminum body F150's are about 2200 lbs including the bed liner and tonneau cover. Skip the tonneua cover and bed liner and its around 2100 lbs.

Not true...this one:
http://www.houstonford.com/vehicle-details/2018-ford-f-150-xlt-pine-river-mn-id-20787250

Has 2426lbs of payload, including the bed liner.
2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Well I am towing a GD Reflection 220rk with my '17 ecoboost. At 65mph I get around 9 mpg. With my Reflection 29rs I get around 7.5 mpg but its a heavier and taller trailer.
My truck is tuned by 5 star and has a Wagner CAC. It runs good! I also get great fuel economy when running unloaded on the highway. I would not consider a 1/2 ton diesel as they can't compete with the HP of an ecoboost

Whats your weights?

I have not weighed either RV but the 220rk is a better match for my truck with a 1170 lb (unloaded) pin vs 1580 lbs unloaded for the 29rs.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Well I am towing a GD Reflection 220rk with my '17 ecoboost. At 65mph I get around 9 mpg. With my Reflection 29rs I get around 7.5 mpg but its a heavier and taller trailer.
My truck is tuned by 5 star and has a Wagner CAC. It runs good! I also get great fuel economy when running unloaded on the highway. I would not consider a 1/2 ton diesel as they can't compete with the HP of an ecoboost

Whats your weights?

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
An F-150 can be had with over 3000 pounds payload. Really. Thatโ€™s plenty for some 5th wheels.

That 3000 lbs is a gvwr based payload placed over front and rear axle. When 3000 lbs is placed in the F150 bed such as pin weight/truck camper will overload the trucks 4800 rawr.
The most any F150 can carry in the bed such as a 5th wheel pin weight/hitch and other junk is in the 2400 +/- lbs range all depending on how much the F150 rear axle weighs.
Many F150HD owners report a rear axle weight in the 2300-2500 lb range depending on selections.....now add 3000 lbs back there = 5300-5500 lbs for a big overload.

High HP/torque numbers make a better towing machine. However like all trucks that carry a 5th wheel or GN or carry a TC ita gotta' have enough rear axle/tire/wheel and rear suspension to carry a heavy load in the bed.

Very informative.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
....Many F150HD owners report a rear axle weight in the 2300-2500 lb range depending on selections...
Actually, 2500 lbs is way off base. The current aluminum body F150's are about 2200 lbs including the bed liner and tonneau cover. Skip the tonneua cover and bed liner and its around 2100 lbs.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
An F-150 can be had with over 3000 pounds payload. Really. Thatโ€™s plenty for some 5th wheels.

That 3000 lbs is a gvwr based payload placed over front and rear axle. When 3000 lbs is placed in the F150 bed such as pin weight/truck camper will overload the trucks 4800 rawr.
The most any F150 can carry in the bed such as a 5th wheel pin weight/hitch and other junk is in the 2400 +/- lbs range all depending on how much the F150 rear axle weighs.
Many F150HD owners report a rear axle weight in the 2300-2500 lb range depending on selections.....now add 3000 lbs back there = 5300-5500 lbs for a big overload.

High HP/torque numbers make a better towing machine. However like all trucks that carry a 5th wheel or GN or carry a TC ita gotta' have enough rear axle/tire/wheel and rear suspension to carry a heavy load in the bed.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Quantum82 wrote:
justme wrote:
I's stick with diesel. Even the 1/2 ton trucks are now offering diesel alternatives these days-- finally ๐Ÿ™‚

Hard to make the numbers work on the 1/2 diesel.

More expensive fuel (around me anyway), more expensive maintenance, marginally better fuel economy, but not enough to offset the extra $$ for fuel and maintenance.

Plus the upfront $4000 extra....I realize you'll recoup that on resale to some degree.

Plus...the weight cuts into your payload...rending the 1/2 ton useless for towing anything over 5000lbs legally.

A friend of mine has the a 2015 Ecodiesel...it has 908lbs of payload.

He can barely put his family of 6 in his truck without going over payload.

Sounds like a great idea, but I think diesels in the 1 ton segment make the most sense.
Most mfg's beef up the suspension to handle the extra weight and power of the diesel engine. Diesel engines have a longer life span because they are built to handle the torque and high compression as well as running much cooler. Diesel fuel also has higher BTU than gas which provides better fuel economy. Diesel are built better for work and pulling because of their high torque. Also when trading in a Diesel vehicle, the odometer reading is less relevant because of the diesel drive train reliability.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Why is this thread in the Fifth Wheel Forum ?..:h

C'mon - you owners of Eco Boost powered vehicles towing FIFTH WHEELS jump in!.

.......or maybe the Mods should move it.

:W

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Ford made a big decision when they decided to go with boosted smaller displacement engines in their half tons and good on them that it has worked out so well. More choices are a good thing. As far as turbo 4โ€™s replacing V6โ€™s go in other vehicles, the industry has been moving that way for some time.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Merrythought
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Explorer Sport with eco boost and twin turbos. It goes like a rocket. Gas mileage, who cares when heading down the road rocking out with Sirius radio! I have always loved fast cars.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Dont dismiss single vs twin too lightly, they dont spend that kind of money X a million units without a very good reason ,in this case pressure ramp up is earlier in the torque curve then a single - more torque more sooner.

I'm not dismissing them, of course there are reasons. I mentioned spool up time. Two smaller turbos spool up quicker than one big one. They also work well with V engines because they can put a single small turbo on each bank instead of running all the exhaust through a single larger one. Four cylinder Ecoboost use a single turbo. Ford didn't invent twin turbo's, they had been around for some time.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Dont dismiss single vs twin too lightly, they dont spend that kind of money X a million units without a very good reason ,in this case pressure ramp up is earlier in the torque curve then a single - more torque more sooner.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-