cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jerky bounce over bumps, 2005 F350 diesel

selnoil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I have a 2005 F350 extended cab diesel towing a 12k+ 38' 5th wheel ball style Cougar 330RBK. When going over bumps the truck has like a jerky bounce. Just put new Sailun tires on which did help but I am not sure if the issue is on the truck side or caused by the trailer. Being an extended cab I am thinking it's the front end bouncing but obviously can't try to watch and drive at the same time. It can't be good for the truck or hitch.

Any ideas what might help take care of it?

Mike
15 REPLIES 15

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
I musta missed the goose part. We are using a bw turnover goose with a convert a ball adapter. Figuring out placement of junk to bring was key for us.

We didn't get to customize our 350 but once past the issues. It's a really nice truck for the price.

Good luck and happy camping
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK

selnoil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies!! Now I know the official term for this. My ball type 5th wheel is frame mounted under my flat bed. Open the hatch and flip the ball up so no way to change that. I also use this truck for my farm hauling the livestock trailer. My next truck will have the regular 5th wheel setup with the airride hitch. Few years away when we can travel more. Tied to the farm right now until my daughter gets out of college and can run things. As one commenter said I have already been down the egr/oil cooler and injector route. Thankfully I have the Good Sam extended warranty, They hate me I am sure. But I bought and had the truck custom built for me new so I know it inside and out. Plan on running it until it won't go anymore.

Again Thanks for the tips!!

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
Just my 2cents worth..

We have an 06 F350 DRW and had the same issues. I found depending who was loading the trailer could make the difference. If possible, make sure you are loading what you can over/behind the trailer axle. You have a quite a bit more trailer than us and I'm sure more pin weight due to the wheel location. Hopefully, you can at least minimize it with weight distribution.
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
I put air bags on my 2000 f250. It solved most of my chucking issues.
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
My way of thinking is the soft hitch or pin box are the last steps.
Fix the ride of the 5er first, this includes proper balance 20% to 25% pin weight, level when towing, and shocks on both axles of the 5er. We have near zero issue with chucking and don't have a soft hitch or soft pin box. I will say there are certain combinations of wheel bases that make it hard to stop chucking.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
Don't worry your egr, oil cooler, oil pump, ficm, head gaskets, injectors, will soon end your chucking problems.

Wow I bet the OP is glad you came along to help him... I can really see how your comments pertain to his issue.

OP...as someone else mentioned try some air bags, they will help.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Air bags aired to around 30 psi loaded with Bilstien 4600's will work wonders!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry your egr, oil cooler, oil pump, ficm, head gaskets, injectors, will soon end your chucking problems.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Install a shock absorbing pin box. That should get rid of 90% of your chucking. I think we have to live with the remaining 10% that usually occurs only in extreme situations.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
B&W companion hitch and Demco glide ride pin box. I have to check the rearview mirror every once in a while to be sure I haven't lost the fiver.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I found my b and w hitch to be a whole lot better towing experience with hardly any chucking.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I fought 5th wheel "chucking" for several months. Lots of opinions and remedies out there. I tried leveling the trailer, adding pin weight, Bilstein shocks on my truck, etc. Finally I installed a MORryde shock absorbing pinbox and it made a huge difference. I won't own another 5ver without a MORryde or similar shock absorbing pinbox.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same year truck except crew cab. I put Timbrens on and that helped.
Bill and Joey the dog

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, you now have Chuckng, welcome to the wold of fifth wheels. Google is your friend, lots Of experience with chucking out there. All it takes to fix it is a few Grover Cleveland's.