cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landing gear, worm gear stripped and dropped 5er (lucky)

Brad_NSW
Explorer
Explorer
Left Front landing gear was binding/acting up. Bought a rebuild kit for the top gears ($45). Put Left side on a block, replaced the gears. As I was running it through a test, it was binding even worse.

On the way back down, the trailer dropped 3 inches onto the block! WOW, surprised the heck out of me.

Now 11AM, call a parts shop for a new leg, They said I had an hour before they closed. Got there 5 mins before closing and got a replacement leg.

Pulled the old one off and when I took the foot pad off, 100s of shavings from the worm gear fell out. Evidently the worm gear was damaged and finally stripped itself, causing the trailer to drop. Good thing I was doing the repair and had a block 3" under the frame.

Well, 2 hours later, new leg on and it lifts silky smooth again. All's well that ends well.
USN Ret. 03Ram3500, 5.9CTD, 5spd, SRW, ATS filter, S&B Intake, IssPro (Pyro, Boost, Fuel, Trans & R Dif) SMARTY SR, Prodigy Controller, AirDog 100. 09Montana 3665RE 5er, 6 TST Tire monitors. Pakbrake Ex brake & airbags, 12' Baltik inflatable w/3.3HP OBM
5 REPLIES 5

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
That is the reason I carry a 6T bottle jack. And have needed it for the same reason a couple of times.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Brad_NSW
Explorer
Explorer
Our jack in the truck is able to lift the 5th wheel. Used it before when the same jack acted up. Mobile repairman "supposedly replaced it" with a new one two years ago. Maybe he put in a used one or the same one???

Anyway, I'm liking how smoothly they work now. They always seemed to be working too hard in the past.

Heading out for a 1500 mile trip in July so now I'm confident in the rig again.
USN Ret. 03Ram3500, 5.9CTD, 5spd, SRW, ATS filter, S&B Intake, IssPro (Pyro, Boost, Fuel, Trans & R Dif) SMARTY SR, Prodigy Controller, AirDog 100. 09Montana 3665RE 5er, 6 TST Tire monitors. Pakbrake Ex brake & airbags, 12' Baltik inflatable w/3.3HP OBM

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I had one side fail several years ago, and I couldn't lift the FW with the landing gear to get hitched back up. I was at least 80 miles from the nearest parts dealer, and it was Sunday, so they were closed. I was able to gather some flat logs that somebody left near the camp. I put a hydraulic jack on top of the logs and was able to jack up the FW enough to hitch. With the weight off the leg, I was able to remove it.

Now, I always make sure I have a couple of wooden blocks and a hydraulic jack "just in case".
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brad NSW wrote:
Left Front landing gear was binding/acting up. .......
On the way back down, the trailer dropped 3 inches onto the block! WOW, surprised the heck out of me.

.......... All's well that ends well.

Good planing on the blocking, I have always said plan for the worst and hope for the best!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bird_chaser
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same exact problem with my right leg. This is the follower on my 5er. We were out on a two week trip and 1000 miles from home. I was only able to retract the landing gear about half way and was very careful when raising and lowering. Took the leg apart and found the jack screw pretty much stripped and the swedged nut frozen onto the jack screw. Lucky my RV is still under warranty, the factory just sent me a new one. Installed now all is fine.
2014 GD Reflection 303RLS
2001 Silverado 3500, 6.0L/4L80e