cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large slide squeals when retracting

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
The last two times that I had the FW out before the end of the season, when retracting the largest slide, there is a high-pitched squeal. I figured it was a warranty issue so I wasn't too concerned. But now, having the pleasure of working with my local dealer, their ability leads me to believe I'm on my own for fixing the slide issue.

Any idea what could be making that sound when retracting? It's a LCI electric slideout system. I've researched the LCI slideout owners manual, and based upon the parts diagram, I don't really see anything that could be making that sound. I almost thought it sounded like a failed roll-bearing of some sort, but I didn't see any indication of such. I've lubricated everything I can see (dry lube). I haven't opened up the underbelly yet - if I do, that won't happen until the spring.

Here's a link to the LCI slideout owners manual, in case I'm missing something:

LINK

Any suggestions on what it may be? Thanks!
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI
17 REPLIES 17

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the nylon tubes they describe are above the coroplast basement cover. I can see the frame cut-outs where the rams enter the floor area, just cant get to anything else without dropping the cover. Certainly sounds like a plausible solution to my noise. Perhaps when its warmer I can unbolt a section and look up into the floor cavity for these tubes.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
A follow up to my slide squeal. I took my FW to a reputable trailer shop (Transwest - they have locations in MO and CO), and they fixed the issue. No parts required, just lube and adjustment. Here is the write-up from the work order:

CHECKED SLIDE, LUBED RAMS, STILL NOISY, FOUND RAMS PUSHING HARD ON NYLON TUBES, ADJUSTED RAMS SIDE TO SIDE TO SET IN CENTER OF OUTER TUBE TO TAKE PRESSURE OFF THE NYLON TUBES, NOW SLIDE OUT IS QUIET. RAN IN AND OUT SEVERAL TIMES NOISE IS
GONE.

I'll pick it up today, and should be good to go! Hope this may help someone in the future.
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I had the 5er out for the first time of the season this past weekend, and sad to say the slide squeal did not magically heal itself over the winter break...

I tried the LCI bearing pack lubrication procedure. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. There are two bearing packs on this slide, and I disassembled and lubricated them both, actuated the slide multiple times, with no luck.

It's seems very hard to pinpoint exactly where the squeal / grinding is coming from. It almost seems like it's inside the floor, as if the internal end of the ram is dragging as it retracts into the floor. Really hope I can find a solution, as I do not want to live without my trailer for a month as the dealer....probably just makes it worse.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
I had two of my 3 slide outs squeal. I found info on LCIs website on the procedure for lubricating the gear pack. I do not know how to do links. Go to the LCI website, click on customer service at the very top of the page and click on the Slideout tab, then through frame tab, then 2 X 2 Electric slide mechanism, Manuals, then click service manual and it is on page 9. I did this on mine and it quieted it down significantly.

Much appreciated thanks
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to spring so I can get under the rig and see what needs my attention. Dont mind trouble shooting this stuff myself as I prefer to do my own work. Thanks for the reference material.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Click here for Lippert

I have electric slides so this probably does not apply to mine.

This should be the electric one
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
See my post above
about the gear pack. It stopped my squealing.

Good copy. I downloaded that and emailed it to myself for reference back at the hooch. Much appreciation!

greende
Explorer
Explorer
See my post above
about the gear pack. It stopped my squealing.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
So is it your large slide on the drivers side? I am having a similar issue with my dinette slide, and it does sound like metal on metal. Looking underneath I wonder if its where the ram goes into the pass-through hole of the frame? There might be something to the rubber also as now that mine's a year old im sure the rubber is less pliable. I did use brake cleaner on all the exposed "workings" I could see and then used a light dry silicone spray on cogs/gears etc but no change. Im wondering if when the slide "tips" as it comes in if the floor is just dragging on an area that should have had a wear strip...

For sure let us know if you track it down, possibly with pics as there is no way im going to a dealer as they will say its normal. I don't think that a loud squeal inside and out is normal and may lead to wear on a part I cant fix easily or cheap.

Daryll

Metal on metal is what it sounds like, only when retracting. It is the driver's side dinette / recliners slide (big one). My first suspicion was where the ram goes through the pass-through hole in the frame. While I had someone else actuate the slide, I was outside and underneath, looking specifically at that pass-though hole, and it did not appear to be the culprit.

When the weather gets better here in KC (springtime) is when I'll have the opportunity to dig a little deeper. Sounds like I'm not the first one experience this issue - I'll be happy to share my findings once I figure it out.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure if the electric slides have gear packs.. but if yours does you need to clean and lubricate the gear packs per Lipperts service bulletin and your noise will quit...

Page 12 on this link explains it all.. Most dealers don't know about this and it works and works quite well if your has these packs...

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Slideouts/Hydraulic_Through_Frame_Slideout_Service_Manual.pdf

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents here, I had a horrible screetching when extending and retracting the big slide and it was the last 18 inches or so of the extension or retraction. I tried all the dry lubricants recommended, plus some others, and I know not to use something wet such as grease. I read somewhere to try a spray on graphite. I found some at Home Depot. Extended the slide all the way out and used spray brake cleaner to clean off all the other tried remedies, and then sprayed down anything that looked like it could be metal to metal with the graphite. Retracted, extended and retracted and extended, and sprayed down again. All the screetching and squawking is now gone. I called LCI before I started the hunt and that was about as useless as...... well, I will let you finish what you think I was thinking.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I had two of my 3 slide outs squeal. I found info on LCIs website on the procedure for lubricating the gear pack. I do not know how to do links. Go to the LCI website, click on customer service at the very top of the page and click on the Slideout tab, then through frame tab, then 2 X 2 Electric slide mechanism, Manuals, then click service manual and it is on page 9. I did this on mine and it quieted it down significantly.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

olpops
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
It's probably the slide rubber. No big deal. You can try silicone lube spray.

X2 on the silicone spray
1- wipe down and clean all parts involved with slide movement

2- spray liberaly with silicone

3- run slide in and out to spread silicone

I've done this and had good results

Hope it works for you too
Don't Worry, Be Happy

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I chased a very annoying screech on one of my slides. I thought it was one of the roller wheels so I removed them to clean and lube. No joy.

I then went outside with the slides out and sprayed the heck out of the gear tracks and the noise is gone. It really sounded like a support wheel was dragging a rock over our tile floor.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008