cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling Pickup bed to the hitch rails

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone find a pad or something to put it the pickup bed to build it up so it is closer to level with the hitch mounting rails? The trails are almost an inch high. The pickup bed mats I saw are @ 3/8 of an inch.
I guess I could double them up... Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Those drop in liners are the best paint remover and rust promoters around.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Matt_Lewis
Explorer
Explorer
My Ford came with one of those drop in bedliners, I just took it out and installed the custom rail kit from Curt and cut the plastic liner around the rails.

It is fairly flush.

2016 Ford F250 FX4 CC SB SRW
2018 Forest River Sabre 36BHQ

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas guys. I like the deck idea. I got hung up on the pad. I'm glad I asked & appreciate the responses.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My truck has a BedRug that is about 3/4" thick. I cut out openings that fit tight to the rails. Lumber and plywood slide right over the top. The BedRug or BedMat is very easy on the knees when crawling around in the bed. Stuff will slide around some compared to a rubber mat. Also, very lightweight.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
X-whatever on the wood flooring. Seen it more times that I can remember.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
In my old '03 F250, the floor of the box IMO was getting a little soft so I made a wood sub floor and had it from front to back & side to side. Sadly, didn't take any pics of it, but it did turn out quite well. Think I ran a couple 1 by's crossways in front and behind the hitch then screwed in 1 by's front to back (sorts like building a deck on your house). Want to say too that I did something similar on sides of hitch & between rails too. To get right height, I just measured from top floor rib to top of rail. If anything, the sub floor may have been a tad higher than the rails, but that was ok for me.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Just put the mat over the top, cut 4 holes for attachment points. It leaves a couple ripples, but not enough to bother for most things. You can still use a piece of plywood, with several cross boards under, if absolutely needing flat surface.

Jerry

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
I used 3/4โ€ plywood cut to fit around the rails and the contour of the bed. I then laid the standard bed mat over top of that. It took two 4x8 sheets to do it. By laying them sideways and cutting them to fit, it allowed me to go the full width of the bed in front and behind the wheel wells (if that makes sense).

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
If you are wanting just a level surface, the horse mats are available 1" thick in 4X4 or 4X6. What I did was use several 2X4 cross pieces and 3/4" plywood the length of the bed to have a surface I could load with a forklift.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Are you intending to put rubber pads between the hitch and the bottom of the truck bed?! I predict stretched and broken mounting bolts in your future at the minimum. But if you want to persist in this scheme Tractor Supply sells horse stall rubber pads that appear to be about an inch or so thick. Not big enough to cover the full bed, I'd guess, IIRC, that they may be 4 ft square. Look up their website.

But you could probably reproduce the effect just by stacking an inch or more of flat washers under the hitch around the mounting bolts. Let us know how it goes.

No, I think the OP wants to build up the floor to be even with the rails.
I wish I had an idea for the OP.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you intending to put rubber pads between the hitch and the bottom of the truck bed?! I predict stretched and broken mounting bolts in your future at the minimum. But if you want to persist in this scheme Tractor Supply sells horse stall rubber pads that appear to be about an inch or so thick. Not big enough to cover the full bed, I'd guess, IIRC, that they may be 4 ft square. Look up their website.

But you could probably reproduce the effect just by stacking an inch or more of flat washers under the hitch around the mounting bolts. Let us know how it goes.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper