Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking at 5th wheels with rear kitchen

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

According to SWMBO we're going to step up to a fifth wheel this coming spring. I went the camper route with current rig three years ago and I thought we'd be using it with my fishing buddies, we've only used it once.

We're ok buying used and we've checked out several rigs but two things we noticed in several designs, the kitchens are about the same size and footprint as the one we have in our AC 1150 and you have to watch TV from the back through the dinette and kitchen.

To those that have a rear kitchen, please let us know what year and model you have, around the 2000-2008 models there are several so if you have one please let me know the year and model.

Thanks for your participation and smooth roads to you all!
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
49 REPLIES 49

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a rear kitchen 5ver for 10 years and it served us well. The main reason we went away from it was for more space, and the wife wanted the large rear window. It did have a large pantry in the rear which we no longer have and do miss.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007, Tango, RKS2660. Made by Pacific Coachworks.
The rear kitchen and rear entrance is what sold us on the fifth wheel.
Never an issue with stuff breaking or falling off the countertop when under way.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Fxfymn
we too have the 2001 Cardinal. it show model 28 on outside.
my wife loves the flooplan.
our refrigerator is on the side, this way we can use it without having to open slides.
the whole back is all counterspace, with cabinets galore.
would like to see some pics if possible

we have really remodeled our unit in the last year.

BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Carri-Lite with a RK. The only thing we didn't like was that it evidently rode rougher on the very back, because our dishes wouldn't stay stacked, etc.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We've had two, the first one a 2005 Komfort 291FSG. Our current is an Arctic Fox 27-5L. Out of the two floor plans the Arctic Fox is our favorite, hands down.

Before we got the first rear kitchen we had a trailer with the big back window and haven't missed it.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
I love the rear door on ours. The fridge is right beside the door, saves a lot of walking around by the wee ones when getting a beverage.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 Keystone Laredo 25RK that we bought not too long ago. We still haven't used it because we don't have a truck yet. It's about 28' long and is very comparable to a Keystone Cougar. Everything is accessible when the slide is in except for the TV. The only thing I don't care for and really it's not that bad is the door is in the rear. I'd rather have the door up toward the middle. Good luck in your search.

Here's a link with some pictures that I posted when buying. Oh yeah, the person that pulled it home for me has a new Chevy and he didn't have to use the slider to make a tight turn backing up to get it in my driveway.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29016948/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Fxfymn
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Cardinal with rear kitchen. We are very happy with it; to the point that we would love to replace it, but we just cannot find anything else that we like as well. Our big points are that it must be accessible with the slides closed and be small enough to get into most state parks.

To date we have put well over 20K miles on it in the 14 years we have owned it and the rear kitchen has never caused an issue. As long time RV'ers we did know enough to adequately pad and secure everything beforehand.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2007 Keystone Everest 293p. It was the bomb floor plan. Huge rear kitchen, tons of countertop space, and storage.

We modified the existing tv area to be a large pantry, and put 2 lazy boys across for the tv. It was the best!

The Everst was top of the line Keystone from I believe 2005-2010, so it was great quality ( when there actually was quality control ) and all in a 32' 10" rig. It had a true walk around king bed, w/d combo, corian countertops, 10cu ft fridge, and beautiful cabinetry.

Might be one to check out
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see anywhere that you indicated what size unit you are looking for. We had a 2005 Citation Supreme 28.5 RKS that we bought new. It was a true 4 season unit with complete winter package including 2 stage furnace, thermopane windows, etc. It also had 2 dual pane skylights which made it a very bright and open unit. It had one main slide in the kitchen & living room but did not have a bedroom slide.

Citation/Corsair fifth wheels/trailers/truck campers were built by General Coach in Oliver, BC, Canada and were extremely well built, durable units. They had several rear kitchen fifth wheel models including many with bedroom slides. Unfortunately they did not survive the economic crash and closed in 2009.

We loved the trailer but wanted a larger rear living room model. We did buy the same brand, however because they are so well built.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2003 Montana fifthave wheel, rear kitchen. Loved it. Believe the model was 27RK.

When the slide came in, it closed off the microwave, but that was not an issue, since no generator. Some rear kichens I have seen, the slide, when in, shuts off refrigerator access. Not good for lunch breaks.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Depends on what you prefer. Personally I would not have a rear kitchen. I like to look out my rear picture window and see the woods.

That is not always true, some times another trailer.
We have large windows in the living space and kitchen.
That an DW loves the space to cook!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Keystone Challenger 29RKP. Really like the rear kitchen and the large picture window mid-ship.
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on what you prefer. Personally I would not have a rear kitchen. I like to look out my rear picture window and see the woods.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Keystone Montana 3295RK. We really liked the living room layout as well (entertainment center across from the sofa). It also had a lot of interior storage space.

one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)