cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lost an entire wheel and drum

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I made a turn into a shopping center parking lot, looked back and saw one of my trailer wheels lying in the middle of the road. We have a 2011 Cougar half-ton 5th wheel. The brakes, including backing plates were replaced new last summer. I greased the bearings via the outer zerk fittings this Feb. All this and the bearing failed, breaking the drum. the wheel came off along with the broken drum.
I blame this in part to the size drum they put on these light weight trailers. Mine are ten inches across the inside center. We are careful to load light for trips, despite the 2900 lb carrying capacity which leaves me to believe the Dexter axles are way under par for this trailer which weighs about 7000 empty.
60 REPLIES 60

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is we might be beating a dead horse here, some will do what they want.
But the bottom line is that in over forty plus years of doing all my own maintenance on vehicles and now of course trailers, if the trailer like mine now has EZ-lube I pump grease in till it comes out with the new stuff showing, BUT!
That does not mean you should not check bearings visually and you should be looking at the brakes over time, and for that I imagine all drum brakes require undoing the axle nut and taking drum off, so that is the time to also check bearings, but yes you can use the greasable ones, but every so often and especially before long trips do yourself a favour and check bearings and repack manually.
Can't hurt.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
This all reminds me of an old country song, "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel"

"Four hungry bearings and rings that won't seal. Oh, it's a fine time to leave me loose wheel."

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
I use wheel bearing grease. Not sure if it is internet approved. It doesn't melt.

It will...give it time.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use wheel bearing grease. Not sure if it is internet approved. It doesn't melt.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wild Card wrote:
Possibly melt was a poor choice of wording. And not everyone goes out and buys xyz premium spaceshuttle lithium grease.

Sure is funny that grease liquifies and drips from grease guns on an normal summer day.

And were not all talking to and about people who routinely maintain their hubs. Most who will read this could care less about their hubs and bearings.

Well I for one don't buy cheap grease the cost difference for a tub is insignificant, not to buy the best at least the better grade.:S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wild Card wrote:
Possibly melt was a poor choice of wording. And not everyone goes out and buys xyz premium spaceshuttle lithium grease.

Sure is funny that grease liquifies and drips from grease guns on an normal summer day.

And were not all talking to and about people who routinely maintain their hubs. Most who will read this could care less about their hubs and bearings.
The oil that you see leaking out of an unused grease gun is oil that has separated, or come out of suspension, not melted. The turning bearing will actually keep that from happening since it keeps the oil in suspension by the rotation of the bearing. Just like oil and water, let it sit and the oil will rise, keep it agitated and it will disperse, somewhat, in the water.

If you let the bearing sit long enough, some of the oil will indeed run to the lowest point. Another good reason to use your trailer rather than let it sit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
If you just pack the bearings and leave the large void in the hub greaseless, the grease in the bearing will get hot,melt and run to this void in the hub.

I've never had that happen.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
This all reminds me of an old country song, "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" LOL
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
If you just pack the bearings and leave the large void in the hub greaseless, the grease in the bearing will get hot,melt and run to this void in the hub.
I call FUD.
I just pulled mine at 10 years and maybe 35,000 miles... grease was still just fine on the cheepo bearings and all looked good.

X2!
I have packed many a wheel bearing in my life, and never pulled one later to find the grease the "Melted" and ran to the center.
I have been packing bearings for over 50 years.

Where do you come up with this stuff, marketing is great these days.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Wild Card wrote:
I call FUD.
I just pulled mine at 10 years and maybe 35,000 miles... grease was still just fine on the cheepo bearings and all looked good.

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
This just happened last week on a freeway near my home that I drive nearly every day...Tire came off a pickup truck... miraculously no injuries.....

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Won't centrifucal force sling the grease around the hub tubes outer area??

I learn to hand packet bearing as a young kid working in service stations back when they had service! Early 60's! Never have had a bearing failure to date. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^Well, if you're using EP2 lithium grease, a good wheel bearing grease, and it melts, you've got a very serious problem. EP2 lithium grease melts around 500 degrees F. Even lithium multi-purpose grease melts around 350 degrees F. So if you're melting grease, having the void full of grease isn't going to help much.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"