cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lube Plate

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We're picking up our trailer in 3 weeks and I need a lube plate. I see 10" and 12" plates are available. What size is everyone buying? Thanks.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
22 REPLIES 22

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
My kingpin slider hitch says not to use a lube plate with it, but I think this is because of the slider. Since I don't use that feature, I use a 10" lube plate. Works great; no problems so far. Any comments? Is this okay to do? Thanks.
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the 12 inch but it cracked right away where it over hung the front of the pin box. I put on a 10 inch and its been there for three years now.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
12" works great.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
If its weakened and falling off, go buy a new one, only $12-$14!!! I've never had one just fall off. I carry a spare in the truck so if I need one I have it, but I would never attach one to the pin box, kinda takes away the purpose. I don't think the size matters on those.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
lostdog wrote:
attuco wrote:
I use the 12 inch. Install it, trim if necessary. I also countersink a screw ans drill and tap the box to keep the lube plate from turning.

I believe the entire reason for having a "lube" plate was to reduce friction. It needs to be able to turn to accomplish this.

No it doesn't screwing it to the pin box will keep it from falling off. The plastic is the slippery surrface.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
I believe they make different size king pins so buy the right lube plate to fit the pin, standard size is 2 7/8".

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I have used nothing but the "lube plate" since they became available, and have always had Reese hitches. But I just bought a new Chevrolet, diesel Duramax/Allison, which came equipped with a Curt hitch already installed.

Someone said above that the lube place cannot be used with a Curt

The owner's instruction with the Curt explicitly recommend the lube plate, and a brand new lube plate was included with the hitch.

I hope the Curt serves me as well as every Reese hitch I've had has done.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have to use two lube plates; 1/4" thick combined with another 1/8" thick. With just a 1/4" plate my upper kingpin ridge rides on my hitch jaws and did not compress the lube plate making it worthless. I would think kingpins would be of standard specification but apparently not. It took some trial and error to get the jaws centered in the kingpin groove. Just something else to think about, if I recall the Companion has some thick jaws.

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input - some good information was posted. I see eTrailer recommends 10" for my B&K Companion. Guess I'll go with that.

3 weeks until retirement. Down to nut cutting.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
To those of you who say the fingers won't hold the plate on the king pin any more. Mine did this also, I don't remember who told me this but take the plate and lay it on concrete or pavement. Then you just take a hammer and bang the fingers a few times. I guess this flattens them and lengthens them a bit. Works for me. I also use the 12" one.

And when that doesn't hold any more you buy the o-ring. Been there done that.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch manufacturer suggests 12", so that's what we use.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oops!!! Double post. Sorry.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
To those of you who say the fingers won't hold the plate on the king pin any more. Mine did this also, I don't remember who told me this but take the plate and lay it on concrete or pavement. Then you just take a hammer and bang the fingers a few times. I guess this flattens them and lengthens them a bit. Works for me. I also use the 12" one.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered the 12" one from amazon. Nice price came with 2 day shipping. We had it for 4 years and it was great then we upgraded to a new hitch that has it built in so no longer needed.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system