cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michelin Ribs Bad Tires for a Trailer????

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

On another forum I participate in a poster is claiming:

1) Steel Carcass tires (like the Michelin Ribs) are "bad trailer tires"
2) "The flex/stress put on the trailer tires with steel casements can lead to sidewall failures."
3)"The steel sidewalls are also much more dependent on proper inflation. If the tires are run on low pressure, the steel flexing in the sidewall will fail. It is especially dangerous when you add air to a steel-sidewall tire that has been subjected to the flexing, and it blows out in front of you."

I have never heard this argument before...and I have read lots about tires....You all's thoughts on these claims?
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.
44 REPLIES 44

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
kakampers wrote:
Couldn't run ribs any longer once we moved up to a heavier trailer, as we needed G load tires (now have moved up to 17.5 H load), but would have run XPS ribs in a HEARTBEAT if they made them in G load....by far the best performing E load tire we ever ran on our smaller trailers!

X3. All the Ribs naysayers need to produce all these factual cases of sidewall failures that they are want us to accept as fact with out factual evidence.
Virtually zero factual evidence or anecdotal evidence of Ribs every failing yet they want to make you think they are dangerous.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

sandstravels
Explorer
Explorer
I had Ribs on my rig for years. The wear (50k plus miles) and ride was excellent. But, they did develop dry rot on the side walls in the second year. I kept the tires covered when in storage and during extended stays but it didn't seem to help. I've had the same dry rot issues on the truck with a set of MS and my current set of MS2's. However, despite this issue, I will continue to buy the Michelin tires.
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD, 4x4, CC, D/A
2015 Nash 23d

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyT wrote:
Ok folks lets get back on track. I do not want to close yet another tire thread...

JohnnyT Moderator

LOL
You mean this has happened before :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok folks lets get back on track. I do not want to close yet another tire thread... My patience is growing thin since its same individuals disrupting these tire threads...

Tire discussions that share experience and information are really important.

JohnnyT Moderator
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
kakampers wrote:
Couldn't run ribs any longer once we moved up to a heavier trailer, as we needed G load tires (now have moved up to 17.5 H load), but would have run XPS ribs in a HEARTBEAT if they made them in G load....by far the best performing E load tire we ever ran on our smaller trailers!

X2,
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had Michelin's on a former trailer. Excellent tire and never needed air. Unfortunately going into retirement I no longer can buy the best of the best. I settled on BF Goodrich on this trailer. Owned, along with Uniroyal, by Michelin. Uniroyal came with the HH and lasted longer than they should been left on. Bought the Goodrich because they seemed to have slightly better/more reviews and got a better deal.
As many RV's that there are I sure dont see many with tire problems on the side of the road, regardless of the brand.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
FastEagle wrote:
The Michelin XPS Rib has not been used as Original Equipment (OE) on RV trailers so any feedback is, at best, anecdotal.

When reading Michelin's RV information one must recognize that they are only addressing motorized RVs. The XPS Rib is used on some "C" class, RVs. It's strictly a summer tire so such fitment for vehicles normally operated in freezing temps can be risky.

On the plus side is its durability factor. An extra steel belt to absorb those pot hole strikes and help in puncture protection. Sidewall inserts to absorb curb scrubbing. Tall, dense tread area for high mileage and retreadability.

FE

We had RIBS on the 5er that preceded our current RV. Ran them through Utah in the fall during a snow storm from Bryce NP to Zion NP. Down a snow packed 6% grade with no problems. Ran them in May through northern Canada snow storm on our way to Alaska. Again, zero problems. Put on over 20,000 miles before we sold the RV zero problems encountered.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Again
my last trailer (Triple E touring) CAME OEM with ribs.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle wrote:
The Michelin XPS Rib has not been used as Original Equipment (OE) on RV trailers so any feedback is, at best, anecdotal.

When reading Michelin's RV information one must recognize that they are only addressing motorized RVs. The XPS Rib is used on some "C" class, RVs. It's strictly a summer tire so such fitment for vehicles normally operated in freezing temps can be risky.

On the plus side is its durability factor. An extra steel belt to absorb those pot hole strikes and help in puncture protection. Sidewall inserts to absorb curb scrubbing. Tall, dense tread area for high mileage and retreadability.

FE

Anecdotal??? Ok, so what we HAVE read from all posters on this forum as well as MYSELF that have OWNED the RIBs and have them on their 5er's for years and years and report how well they've performed are "made up"????? Too many good reports on the RIBS for reports by OWNERS to be called "anecdotal".....The RIBS used in the proper application are GREAT tires to use on 5er's with max of 6,000# axles.

summer tire....ok....doggone, glad the 5er wasn't thinking about that the time I towed from Seiverville TN to Asheville NC through the Gorge with about 3-4" of snow on the ground.., AND all the times 5er set and was towed in temps WELL below freezing , ( down to 10at one time in Cherokee NC ), won't go out of my way to do that, but I had no problems whatsoever, and I towed from February thru first of Dec. with the coachmen I had them on. I Kept my eye on air pressure in my tires...
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
cruz-in wrote:
Thanks Team....Was about to buy a full set of Bridgestone Duravis R250's and this gents opinion just gave me pause....the Bridgestone Duravis R250s are going on!

Also a very tire...Should also work for you:)

(guess I should have read top of page two.....my bad:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
LOL
Ribs are the gold standard if you stay within weight ratings.

Yep, agree with Rick, (they're not cheap)....I also agree as long as they are used with in their weight range rating....

Put 4 on an 04 coachmen Somerset back in 04', sold 5er in 07 to a very good friend of mine for sig. 5er...He ran those tires all over the US and had them for close to 7 yrs or so and still looked good, I recommended he needed to change them if I were him..ended up having them for about as long as cricketydog has had his and never had the first issue.

Haven't heard anything bad about them, but no from proof they'll last, used in the right application.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin says it all.
Michelinยฎ XPS Ribยฎ tires are the best value per mile in the Michelin commercial tire lineup and an ideal choice for commercial trailers because of low rolling resistance (for better fuel economy), a long-wear tread design and retreadability. These tires also have the strength of a reinforced all-steel construction for lasting durability.
Responsive handling helps you negotiate through tough traffic
Greater durability and puncture
resistance from a third steel belt.
Easily retreadable all-steel casing
Lowest cost per mile in this category
Resists sidewall damage with the sculptured sidewall protector.
Sidewall: black serrated
outline lettering.
Load Range: E
Service Description: 120/116Q
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
FE

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle