cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some advice on which 5th wheel units are "high end"?

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

We are in the process of selling our class A and would like to go to a 5th wheel unit.

It's not that we don't like the class A....we have just learned over the last eight years of owning it we don't utilize it enough to justify the cost....sits most of the time. It is a high end diesel 45' coach and we love the space, even lived in it full time for three years.

Our coach is quality built and we would like the same quality in the 5th wheel since we will be spending alot of time in it, and possibly living full time. We don't see ourselves moving but maybe every few months at the most. I only have a 3/4 ton diesel truck now but willing to upgrade to a 1 ton as needed for the trailer. I can use the larger truck in my work so it can be justified. (and actually we may look into getting/building a slide in truck camper as our travel unit)

Can you point me to manufacturers that would be considered quality units? I plan to look for something used....cost is important but it is not the driving factor. I like the 102" width, multiple slides, fiberglass roof if possible, 35'-45' range. I am willing to invest the time in learning and searching for the right trailer...just would like to narrow the search down. We did own a 2002 Keystone (approx 32' I think) once that was used as a camper for the kids when they came to visit but I am interested in something bigger and nicer for now.

Thanks for the help!
2000 American Coach 45' Heritage
36 REPLIES 36

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Go to RV Trader and put the parameters in that you want, select age 4-6 years old, price 30-50K, length and location and find out whats out there. No better way to narrow down thousands of RVs to a few brands. Then do a goggle search to find out the problems with your selections.

ocbms
Explorer
Explorer
High end means difference things to difference people. To me a high end starts on the ground. 17.5 inch tire and at least 8000 pound axles are a start. A well insulated with thermo pane windows part of the requirement and anything less would give me some grief sometime.
Just my two cents to get to Veebyes well done
2015 Freightliner M2 106
2016 Mobile Suites 38PS3
Previously 2010 Montana and Pleasure Way Excel TS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
At $80K new today you are not high end. Cooked medium well maybe but not well done. Really well built 5ers today are going to be over the $100K mark new real easy.

Depending on age & condition finding even a DRV Mobile Suite under $50K won't be that easy. Check up on some of the builders frequently listed here. Study the specs on the websites then go out for a touchy feely look, paying close attentiion to the usual fit & finish, quality of hardware used, running gear for wheel size, arrangement of spring hangers on the frame, how neat the wiring is arranged in places that are normally out of sight, anything that separates quality build from the junk that so many are.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of used Excel and Nu Wau units in the midwest as that where they are made. Our older Excel is near top of the line. 80% of repairs to RV's are appliances. Excel builds their units entirely online, including frames, oak woodwork and furniture. The newer stuff is not near the quality from the big guys. Buy a used unit and save your money to keep it working.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at used Nuwa Hitchhikers at Kansas RV Center in Chanute, KS. They refurbish & sell used units. (We bought one.) They would be in your desired price range and are quality units. They likely have more than show up on their website. They will upgrade various items for a price to make it yours... We added the fireplace, changed to a king bed, added a washer/dryer etc. to our used unit.

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
psuce wrote:
Luke Porter wrote:
Prices on rv trader mean nothing.

What do you mean by that?

They are just asking prices. The seller of every rig listed will sell for less than they are asking.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure and look at Lifestyle. They build their own frame, which comes from the old Carriage plan. I've had a lot of problems with Lippert frames which most RV uses. Evergreen owns the Lippert company. They build good stuff. Not cheap but not as expensive as some.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
Continental Coach
Spacecraft
New Horizon
DRV
Excel
Luxury Lifestyle

most here can be built to your spec's
and if 80 G's is your budget, then you can't get any of these unless used.
Cedar Creek is a unit that doesn't use "OSB" and is not laminated so can not delam!
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
Alpenlite is/was a very well built rig. They are more common on the west coast since they were built in Washington. Went out of business around 2008 and in the last couple years had some problems with the Lippert frames. Prior to the last years they made their own frames.I own a 2000 model Alpenlite and have owned probably a dozen RVs in my time but this in my opinion is a good one. Quality.

psuce
Explorer
Explorer
Luke Porter wrote:
Prices on rv trader mean nothing.

What do you mean by that?

draknor
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears - how did you end up finding your fiver in mid-Wisconsin? Craigslist, eBay, RVTrader, other...?

DW & I live in Madison and are just starting our search. Not really in the same tier as OP, but we'll be looking for a good solid used model (hoping for $15k-$20k). Just want to make sure we're looking in the right places!
Beulah: '04 HitchHiker Discover America 31.5 LKTG
Beast: '07 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab SRW w/ 5.9 Cummins

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
jimmac28 wrote:
Not knowing where you are at in northern Illinois. At Timber View RV in Frankfort IL., they have a 2012 Mobile Suite right in your price range.

To be honest with you, we were in central Illinois when we started our search for our first used fiver. I found a couple of the floor plans we wanted in the Chicago area. We expanded our search to about 600 miles. Prices started getting much cheaper in Wisconsin and Indiana. We ended up buying from a private owner in the middle of Wisconsin.

My suggestion would be is you find a used Mobile Suite floor plan on a used model you really like, shop around and don't be afraid to do a little driving to look at some. It was well worth it to us.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

jwduke
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Excel by Peterson Industries they build a very good 5th wheel for the money. and I think they are considered high end too.
'04 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 w/CTD
'03 Hitchhiker II 31RLBG

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at the Luxe by Augusta RV. Some seriously high end features designed for ft living.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"