cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new here! roof maintenance?

mike0825
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times and i apologize but i am going to ask again. i bought a jayco 5th wheel last fall. when i bought it the guys at camping world told me all these things i needed to do to the roof and rubber gaskets. as far a cleaning them and conditioner. it was quite the fast paced crash course and i remember nothing. so I've been doing some research and some people/places say to do nothing but wash the roof with a mild soap and water, some say to use all the different chemicals?!?! my camper is not covered at this time i hope to have that done by summer. I'm lost so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
12 REPLIES 12

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
What about those that live in the desert southwest? I see uncovered trailers only 5-10 years old badly beat up by the sun and hear about numerous roof problems.

I've always stored mine under shaded cover and have only hosed off the dirt a few times each year and washed the sides. After 20 years I sold my trailer and roof and sides looked good as new. My guess is that shade is the best thing you can ever do to keep your trailer in good shape.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I never wash my roof. My thoughts are that one has to do what makes him comfortable.

Next thing you may ask about wheel bearings and a bunch of folks will say to do it annually.

Now if I sold roof cleaner, bearing grease and on and on, I would highly recommend it. :W

It sounds like you are going to get it under cover so that will be good.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChopperBill wrote:
Wash it, forget the snake oil treatments. That's all the roof manufactures say.

Dicor recommends washing 4 times a year and they have products to purchase to do the job. Snake oil? Probably not. As for the 4 times, that is 3 more times then mine gets washed. I'm a ounce a year guy for that big job.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
waltbennett wrote:
CW and anyone selling RV stuff will tell you that so they can sell you what they carry. Go to any EDPM roofing material manufacturer's web site and they'll say you don't have to do anything to them. The white chalk-like stuff coming off is normal oxidation. If you just have to spend your time washing your roof, Dawn and a soft nylon brush is the only way to go.

Spot on post right here ^^^

This is exactly what I do twice a year. Dawn, soft bristle brush, and lots of water. Keep the sides of the rig wet also so all the nasty stuff that's washed off will rinse off easily. Roof looks like new after 3.5 years.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
CW and anyone selling RV stuff will tell you that so they can sell you what they carry. Go to any EDPM roofing material manufacturer's web site and they'll say you don't have to do anything to them. The white chalk-like stuff coming off is normal oxidation. If you just have to spend your time washing your roof, Dawn and a soft nylon brush is the only way to go.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do don't pressure wash near seams or close to membrane as it can rip it.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wash it, forget the snake oil treatments. That's all the roof manufactures say.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
My owners manual said to use Dawn dish detergent. I clean ours twice year as with all vent covers, A/C covers, antenna and top side of awning. Just be careful when washing the roof it gets very slippery up there.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cleaning is not required for normal maint. and will last just as long or longer without it. Make sure you keep up with seem maint. though.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that Eternabond on roof seams is a one time repair. Clean well before applying.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wash with mild soap ans lots of water. There are a ton of treatment products. Some work some a waste of money. Talk to a mobile tech guy and see what they use. Wash and wax the sides like you would do a car. Dicor makes two products for rv seams. Lap seal is for roof seams. The other one is for everything else

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber roofs, soap and water, using a nylon brush for stubborn spots; use lots of water to rinse, including the sides of the camper, as it will streak
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations