Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Redwood Need New Truck Help

jblake240
Explorer
Explorer
Will be buying a new Redwood 39MB with Gross Weight 16,500 lbs.,
will be travailing the US. But also need a new Truck, looking for Input and Recommendation.
52 REPLIES 52

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
My feelings are that any advice should lean towards getting a more robust vehicle than is actually needed.

Any vehicle of any less capacity may just be too much for a person of that skill level to safely handle.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
jblake240 wrote:
Will be buying a new Redwood 39MB with Gross Weight 16,500 lbs.,
will be travailing the US. But also need a new Truck, looking for Input and Recommendation.

Wow, .OP posted on Oct. 1st....and today is the 8th. and they haven't been back since.

Reckon they'll see that one of the new 1 ton SRW trucks could tow this 5er?...Though, I personally prefer a dually...My 5er weighs in at 16,200# and pin weight is 3460#, (no water). My 3500 Dually has a GVWR of 14,000# and a RAWR of 9750# (AAM rates at 11,800#). GCWR with 4:10 is a little over 37,000#..(NO, I'd never have a combined weight of that amount), but shows that 1 ton dually's are far more capable than they were just 3 or 4 years ago..

I Do believe that a new 350/3500 SRW truck would work with that 5er, but having towed the same 5er with both through the same mountains, I still think a dually offers a little more stability when towing on mountainous curvy roads...just from my experience.

Doesn't seem to matter what has been posted....OP asked and hasn't returned
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
Not only the weights but the stability that the duallys give over a SRW is w/o question.

Trying to beef up a 250 is tried by many but it does not change things when you are pulling the real heavy weights.

I'm not talking about beefing up a 250 and this is an RV site so we are not talking about real heavy weights. When you actually hook to a heavy load with your Dually you see that a srw handles it's max load as well as a DRW does it's max load.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Not only the weights but the stability that the duallys give over a SRW is w/o question.

Trying to beef up a 250 is tried by many but it does not change things when you are pulling the real heavy weights.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Simple law of Physics!! Add water to the front move center of gravity forward of wheels ======= more weight forward. want to balance the weight move things to the rear.
Milehigh you are right on!!!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Our Redwood 36RL has a pin weight of 3,400 lbs without water, 4,340 with water. We traded our SRW for a DRW because we were close to exceeding the rear tire max weight when carrying water, and we like to dry camp.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

mitchw
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 31 SL and have found that our 2008 F350 SRW does a fine job. It is a heavier trailer than the '04 KZ Sportsmen I had previously but the difference in towing to me is negligible. It seems the heavier it is the more that 1-ton diesel likes it.

Dave___Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Redwood 36RL and I'm very familiar with the Redwoods and their weights. All three of the manufactures make great trucks and all three will pull the Redwood. I would like to STRONGLY recommend a dually.

I started out with a 2011 F350 SRW and withing a month I bought a 2012 F350 dually. WOW what a difference in the trucks ability to pull the Redwood. The Redwood has a heavy pin weight due in part to the location of the tanks in front of the axles. This does however make these trailers very easy to pull in all weather and wind conditions.

The Redwood forums have had a great deal of talk about this
2015 Entegra Aspire RBQ

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
I find the topic pretty interesting. Those convinced their SRW can pull anything will never change, when the 5th wheel topic is regarding "payload". An F250 can tow plenty, but the payload limit is less than an F350 SRW - and the payload for the SRW is less than the DRW. People must know their "actual" pin weight to know if their truck is properly sized. Too many guesses based on a percentage of their trailer GVWR. I "know" my pin weight (3400 lbs) and I know my truck empty and loaded weight, and I know a F350 SRW would tow fine, but would be overloaded. That's why I bought the DRW.... If you have been to the scales and know your total weights, and you are under your trucks payload label, then you have the right truck.

I "know" my SRW 3500 would not be overloaded with your 3400# pin weight. Been there.
. 3400 is my pin weight, but my hitch weight is about 150, my tool box and contents are 300, two passengers 400, that's another 850, plus my 50 gallon transfer flow fuel tank, another 450 ... That's another 1300 lbs, plus I seem to recall the weight of truck fuel has to be added as well? That would be another 300 lbs. My Big Horn GVWR is 14,000 so my pin is close to 24%. We full time so we are packed. A 5vr with 16,000 GVWR is gonna go well over 3000 on pin, but if pushing 24%, closer to 3800 lbs, add to that the stuff in the truck and you'll be well beyond SRW label limits... Again, if using actual weights SRW is fine, but I'm just suggesting that people should stop guessing and hoping and go to the scales.

Nice to see some people understand how to determine what tow vehicle is actually needed to safely tow a load with all the information included.

Thanks!

I find it hard to believe he raised his pin weight ratio 6% without going over his trailers GVWR.;)
. My actual trailer weight is 14,300 lbs. 300 lbs over the label of 14,000 GVWR. That rating is with 6000 lb axles and 80psi tires. My axles were upgraded to 7000 lb Dexter axles and G Rated Goodyear tires.. That doesn't 'change my GVWR label, but effectively/safely allows that 300 lb over rating with range to spare.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
I find the topic pretty interesting. Those convinced their SRW can pull anything will never change, when the 5th wheel topic is regarding "payload". An F250 can tow plenty, but the payload limit is less than an F350 SRW - and the payload for the SRW is less than the DRW. People must know their "actual" pin weight to know if their truck is properly sized. Too many guesses based on a percentage of their trailer GVWR. I "know" my pin weight (3400 lbs) and I know my truck empty and loaded weight, and I know a F350 SRW would tow fine, but would be overloaded. That's why I bought the DRW.... If you have been to the scales and know your total weights, and you are under your trucks payload label, then you have the right truck.

I "know" my SRW 3500 would not be overloaded with your 3400# pin weight. Been there.
. 3400 is my pin weight, but my hitch weight is about 150, my tool box and contents are 300, two passengers 400, that's another 850, plus my 50 gallon transfer flow fuel tank, another 450 ... That's another 1300 lbs, plus I seem to recall the weight of truck fuel has to be added as well? That would be another 300 lbs. My Big Horn GVWR is 14,000 so my pin is close to 24%. We full time so we are packed. A 5vr with 16,000 GVWR is gonna go well over 3000 on pin, but if pushing 24%, closer to 3800 lbs, add to that the stuff in the truck and you'll be well beyond SRW label limits... Again, if using actual weights SRW is fine, but I'm just suggesting that people should stop guessing and hoping and go to the scales.

Nice to see some people understand how to determine what tow vehicle is actually needed to safely tow a load with all the information included.

Thanks!

I find it hard to believe he raised his pin weight ratio 6% without going over his trailers GVWR.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MTPockets1 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:

Thanks!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Ford and GMC spec sheets list payload maximum based on a stripped down truck. These numbers reflect a maximum without bumpers and in Fords case, without radio and center console. Also, empty fuel tank; but, they do give an allowance for a driver weighing 150lbs. Source; Car & Driver August 4th article.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify, payload numbers are always calculated after all fluids are full.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote: