cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older 7.3 Deisel vs. Newer Ford Engines

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 Ford F250 4wd 7.3 diesel, Which I have pulling our 30' Newmar 5er for the last 5 years. The wife is wanting a newer truck wheather it be diesel or gas. I want to hang onto the work horse that I have. Sure, it slows way down going up a grade. Am wondering what everyone else would do. :?
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'
73 REPLIES 73

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You for all that has responded. With all of the pro & cons, I think I am going to Beef up my 7.3 with a K & N air filter system, increase my exhaust with Banks Exhaust & try out the programming chip. Then, I will go from there & maybe if a real good deal comes along on a newer truck, I may have to jump on it if this does not work. Happy RVing out there. We can't wait till March, then it's full time.
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Okie1 wrote:
I have a 97 F250 with 250,000 miles on her, still looks and drives like new. I pull a 37' fifth wheel to Silverton, Co. quite often, sure the $60,000 trucks will get there 15 minutes before me but I am not in that big of a hurry. I average 18mpg in town and 20mpg on the highway, 10 to 11 towing. Put a programmer/chip, intercooler(95-97) and exhaust on your 7.3 and it is a different truck.

I've been past going up hills before but it not from lack of power with over 250000 miles I am just a little out of warranty with the tuner its got plenty of power.
Lol I won't talk about milage
Gary

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Our is still stock. However, we are getting a newer fifth wheel and will be adding some springs or bags and a different exhaust. We have to do the oil pan seal due to leaks not rust (never seen a winter) but it still beats a payment for a new one. I am sure my truck with 105K on it, no winters and is very clean in and out would bring good money but I still would be making huge payments on a new truck and then not be able to go camping and isn't that what it is all about.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Kenc_AL
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2000 - 7.3 and put 280,000 on it. I live in rolling hills and the best non-towing fuel mileage was in the 17 range. Towing I was around 11. My repair maintenance in 280,000 miles was very minimal. Lost water pump, one wheel bearing and fuel pump, otherwise just routine stuff, oil, brakes, tires etc. Still had the original tranny, but I had the oil and filter changed every 50,000 miles. Great truck, great engine.

I now have a 2011 6.7. Another great truck that is better than the 7.3. Just Sunday I did a 350 mile trip, checked the fuel mileage, and got 21.7. Last year I was in Florida for six weeks and got over 22 MPG. I am still getting around 11 towing a 34' 5th that weighs a little over 10,000 loaded. Recently I made a towing trip to Kentucky and just flew by the 18 wheelers on I-75 north of Knoxville on the mountain pull. The truck never came out of cruise and topped the mountain at 62 MPH. Very pleased with this truck. I now have 75,000 trouble free miles on it.

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 97 F250 with 250,000 miles on her, still looks and drives like new. I pull a 37' fifth wheel to Silverton, Co. quite often, sure the $60,000 trucks will get there 15 minutes before me but I am not in that big of a hurry. I average 18mpg in town and 20mpg on the highway, 10 to 11 towing. Put a programmer/chip, intercooler(95-97) and exhaust on your 7.3 and it is a different truck.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

xPIXx
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Wow 20MPG towing / 30MPG unloaded...

Does that require magic fairy dust?

HAHA I have a 99 7.3 and get around 11mpg that's "real world". I've known of plenty of that era 7.3's and they get the same.

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
99 7.3, 30' fiver... Reprogramed with Superchips... added a Banks Monster exhaust, BTS trany rebuild, never looked back... 298k and still pulls as fast as I want to go... did I mention No Payments... ๐Ÿ™‚
HTML

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
mustangglp wrote:
Let me see no truck payment or truck payment = 7.3
X-2 The old 7.3 is getting long in the tooth. But it's nice not having a truck payment.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

No, just an internet subscription:)

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
rtazz17 wrote:
Dannyabear1 wrote:
The older trucks had 'real' numbers as far as payload; try putting the listed payload in a new one and you will find you need air bags most of the time; it's an advertising game.
This is not true atleast with my 2011 f350 6.7.. I have had 3k in the back and dont come close to overload springs.My 2002 7.3 diesel would squat like crazy.There is no comparison.The new 250 does squat,they dont hacpve the same springs as 350.This new truck is a beast in everyway.Pulls my 14-15k fiver effortlessly.

To the O.P.Dont drive a 6.7 unless you are willing to buy one.You will fall in love with it immedieatly.I had a 2002 7.3 with 95k on it.Mint cond.Sold it the day after I drove 6.7. Truck is a dream.Once you tow with it you will see the huge difference.I get 12-14 towing 15k.

My 2011 Chevy 3500 D/A handles its numbers just fine. I agree with rtazz on this one.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Let me see no truck payment or truck payment = 7.3
Gary

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:
n7bsn wrote:
There is no doubt the 7.3 was a real beast, great at just about everything, except fuel economy.

The new trucks certainly ride better, they still ride like trucks, but less so then the old ones. They also certainly have better creature comforts.

Something I have wondered at, a complete rebuild (engine, trany, rear-end, cabin, seats, A/C, everything) vrs driving away with a spanky new truck. Which would actually cost less?

Huh ! Fuel economy, you surely must be talking about the 6.4

Agreed. Fuel economy is but a couple hundred dollars away. I've got real world unloaded travel at nearly 30mpg with my 7.3L. I routinely average 22mpg in mixed highway driving unloaded, with my foot in the soot maker. Crank up the horses and find the right speed for your tire size...and it cruises along sipping at fuel. Yes, stock I was getting 12-13mpg on the highway. Literally $2,500 later I was up to 22-24mpg. Paid for the mods in 6 months of commuting to work.

How many trucks can haul 7K on a trailer with 5K on the bed up the the mountains of BC, YT & AK and average 17MPG?

I have friends with 6.0's and 6.4's, and am a member of multiple truck clubs....no one has come close to the MPG figures of a mildly built 7.3L

6.7L, I don't know...but the more emissions******they put on it, the worse mileage it gets. Even if it is better mileage, what's the cost? My truck has been paid off for 5 years already.

I too have had $20K offers for my truck, it's not for sale yet. Especially after I upgrade to an ATP transmission in the spring.

Update your 7.3L, and be happy with a paid off hauler that gets phenomenal gas mileage. Give Ford a couple years to get things figured out with their 6.7L
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

psford
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
There is no doubt the 7.3 was a real beast, great at just about everything, except fuel economy.

The new trucks certainly ride better, they still ride like trucks, but less so then the old ones. They also certainly have better creature comforts.

Something I have wondered at, a complete rebuild (engine, trany, rear-end, cabin, seats, A/C, everything) vrs driving away with a spanky new truck. Which would actually cost less?

Huh ! Fuel economy, you surely must be talking about the 6.4

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
A 30 footer, Gas of diesel will work The ford has a good diesel, and for a Gasser the Ram's 6.4 Hemi is Superior to any other gas truck.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours