cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

omg!!!!!!!!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
So we picked up our 2015 Grand Design Reflection last night and hubby had a very hard time backing into our driveway and told him he was too close to the mail box but of course he was at wits end by now cause that was about his 5th try backing up and guess what he scraped the side of our trailer with the mail box!!!!!!! Now we have to get it fixed!!!! He was very upset, but he thinks it is much harder to back 5th wheel than our trailer. But it is tight squeeze for him to get in driveway. Anyway that is our happy little story bringing home the new 5th!!!! Lol it is what it is:)
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
47 REPLIES 47

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, it is what it is. After literally hundreds of backin sites, very often small NFS or SP sites, without touching anything, that left a permanent mark, the trailer still has the ability to make an idiot of me, usually in the easiest sites.

When you get in a jam & things are going wrong it is best to pull forward & start all over.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IMHO the ONLY thing better about a TT is backing one up!

So don't fret everything else will be BETTER!

x2

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO the ONLY thing better about a TT is backing one up!

So don't fret everything else will be BETTER!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Backing up a 5er is always a topic. Next will be tripping up or down on the steps or going to the bathroom. This is also followed by the need of a step ladder to get into the cabinets.

Happy trails....................................

.......busting one's head on the bedroom slideout..........multiple times BEFORE I put the styrofoam "thingy's" on it to where it didn't hurt when I did it a few more times..:o

lets NOT forget about the dreaded Hitch Head far head.. To the OP.. tell DH to find a large empty school parking lot and some orange cones.. Visit that on some weekend and practice..

YEP...that's happened a couple of times also.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC Hauler wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Backing up a 5er is always a topic. Next will be tripping up or down on the steps or going to the bathroom. This is also followed by the need of a step ladder to get into the cabinets.

.......busting one's head on the bedroom slideout..........multiple times BEFORE I put the styrofoam "thingy's" on it to where it didn't hurt when I did it a few more times..:o

lets NOT forget about the dreaded Hitch Head far head.. To the OP.. tell DH to find a large empty school parking lot and some orange cones.. Visit that on some weekend and practice..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
In the long run, having towed both TT's and 5er's over a number of years, I prefer a 5th wheel for ease of towing, and once one has mastered backing it up, the rest is no big deal.:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
have him go to a parking lot and practice for a little bit. I'm sure he's like most of us.....with a little practice he'll get a system down. The first time we brought ours home it was similar but without the mailbox. We live on a busy road and wife was out directing traffic for me. There's a little hump in the road and she couldn't see over it.....she had a car go to pass me right as a car was coming over the hump. Got pretty intense there for a second. I'm sure some cuss words were said and fingers given that day. After 2-3 times I could pull it in without any assistance and nail it first try.

Ladymac
Explorer
Explorer
our neighbor missed his wife once by an inch backing in with his 5er, not to mention the ditch/culvert, almost tipped it over, guess that is why he never kept it long and bought a travel trailer

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch. Almost did that last year in a CG. I decided to stop and have her get out and take a look. I was about 2" from a tree. Would've crunched the upper left corner of the 5er. I already have some eastern Oregon pin stripping on one side.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If he can back in from the far side of the road/drivers side, he will have more time to get the trailer turning and not have to turn it real hard to get it in the driveway. Also have him start with the trailer wheels at least a full trailers length past the driveway. Again, more time to get it turning and more time to get the truck back in line with the trailer when he gets into the driveway.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

randeez2001
Explorer
Explorer
Ah yes. I feel his frustrations. Boy do I!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, you'll get more. Tree branches, curbs, turning too sharp, etc.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
caysea7254 wrote:
it is what it is:)

It is? What is it?

Bruce

I would imagine, the "it is what it is"....is the learning experience going from a TT to 5er and the upside is it happened and they'll move on and not let it get them down...part of the "live and learn" experiences one goes through in a transition from towing a TT to towing a 5th wheel.:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet