cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on fridge option

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are looking at upgrading our 5er. We have been looking at the Alpine 3700 / 3701. The difference being one comes with an 18 cubic ft rv fridge, gas and electric, the other comes with an 18 cubic foot electric fridge with an inverter. Not sure what the advantages one would have over the other. We rarely dry camp. Any thoughts? Thanks
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018
26 REPLIES 26

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had several trailers and all of them had gas/electric. Our dp Class A had gas/electric. When we decided to go back to a fiver one of the main things we wanted was a residential fridge. The one we have now is 23 cubic feet and it is SO much better. With this being said we never dry camp and always stay at cg's when travelling this great country. Our inverter has not used up the battery capacity yet. Even if you do lose power it is not any difference than losing power at your home for a period of hours or even a day---as long as you don't open the doors. That is where a lot of folks make a mistake, opening the door to see if it is still cold. Keep it shut and it will last a long time. I have been running ours at home with a temp stick inside to monitor the temps wirelessly with power off. It appears this morning the battery is getting low but that is after almost 24 hrs. I am satisfied.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want firm ice cream, get the residential one.

Our nevercold will be replaced with a residential one of these days.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DRM796 wrote:
We rarely dry camp.

Go with the "residential" refrigerator. You will be happier, especially in extremely hot weather.

agesilaus wrote:
If you ever camp where there is no power then your residential fridge, the one with the inverter will flatline your battery quickly.

True, if you don't have decent batteries and a good way to charge them. At a minimum, two 6V golf cart batteries, possibly even four. You would need a lot of solar to charge them or a good generator and charger. Expect to have to run your generator a couple of time a day for 2 or more hours each time.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I guess some must have a less efficient Res Fridge than we do. I did a test when we first got it and ran the Fridge for 36 Hours with the two OEM batteries and voltage was still at 12.5. Now have 4 12V Deep Cycle and can go a few days without a problem.

X2 on this.

Tested ours several times. I can go 2 days on 2 fully charged 12v. Batteries. No problem.

Outside air temp 80 to 85 degrees. Probably longer in cooler temps

Can't beat the storage space

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the residential fridge and rarely dry camping, you would rarely have an issue. Sorry to hear that you rarely dry camp missing so many beautiful wild places for a horizontal apartment with mini golf, shuffleboard, lots of pavement etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess some must have a less efficient Res Fridge than we do. I did a test when we first got it and ran the Fridge for 36 Hours with the two OEM batteries and voltage was still at 12.5. Now have 4 12V Deep Cycle and can go a few days without a problem.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

mds1
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis,

I'm sure if you are like the rest of us, you have been surfing around the forums to get as much info as possible on the residential fridge vs gas/electric decision. It's another one of those personal decisions based off whatever is important to you.

We are in the process of planning to go full time. We have owned one RV in the past with a gas/electric fridge and had no problems with it over six years. But we only used the trailer for weekends and vacation.

Our next RV will have a gas/electric. The Norcold 18.3 cubic foot Polar Max that came out a few years ago is very large and in my wife's and my opinion, erases the pro that a residential fridge is larger.

For us, we decided why limit ourselves as to where we stay to include overnight in a parking lot or whatever. Although we have friends with four batteries and a residential fridge and a generator that get by okay. Another friend is adding solar that takes up cargo space and capacity.

I really never had an issue with stuff staying cold in our gas/electric fridge but many who have more experience with the residential fridge claim the freezer works better. Not a concern for us, because we did not experience that to be a problem in the RV we owned, nor the one we rented and the one we borrowed from a family member.

Some say the gas/electric RV fridge takes a long time to cool down. Not a concern for us as we will be full timing in it and the fridge will always be on.

If my travel style was to stay in places with electrical service I would not be as concerned about having a residential fridge. But then again, on our last seven day trip we lost power twice in parks we stayed at. And in another we only had 30 amp service and it helped to cut the fridge over to gas/electric.

One thing for sure. Of all the blogs I've been following where others have residential fridges. Some write about power concerns. Never hear that out of the bloggers with RV fridges.

Some are still worried about fire hazards with an RV gas/electric. Even after all the recalls. One of my blog followers posted where you can get an add on device to monitor temperatures of concern that will shut down the RV fridge. It's called an ARP Controller. https://www.arprv.com/Here is a link. If that's true and the device works then the fire hazard concern may be mute.

Another friend, who has an RV gas/electric fridge also has solar and four batteries for other electrical items. His inverter runs down his battery bank if left on overnight.

I hope you find a few of the pros and cons listed in all this. Again, it's a personal decision. I know I am partial to the RV gas/electric but will admit if we stayed in parks all the time with electrical service I'd consider a residential fridge. And just have a small generator in case the park has an electrical problem.
Mark from Missouri

http://www.ourfutureinanrv.wordpress.com.

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

Looking to soon purchase Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Residential and add enough solar to keep it running.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Simply put if you ever boondock or dry camp do not go with an electric only fridge. You will end up regretting it. A buddy took his out and paid a small fortune to get a gas/electric model. Even with 4 batteries he was not able to run hardly anything else in his camper and keep his batteries up enough even with 400 watts of solar. Now with the gas electric he has absolutely no issues for weeks on end running what ever he wants. JMO would never get electric only unless I stayed solely in campgrounds.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I can only offer is my opinion after having both types. The residential fridge has so much room, and keeps everything really cold, the Gas/absorption old style was small, and the freezer was kind of poor .
We have an inverter and 4x 6 V deep cycle batteries, and when fully charged, keep the refer running for about 15 hours. Then I need to start the generator and charge up again.
We have a system that involves day time charge up, and night time quiet times and don't open the refer door too often, using a small cooler outside for some beers or soda.
We love the residential refer!!
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
A residential fridge requires at the least a 400 aH battery bank and 5 to 6 hours of ginny run time when dry camping over a 24 hour period. Our friends made this mistake.
If you always camp with hook ups it's fine until the power goes out.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you ever camp where there is no power then your residential fridge, the one with the inverter will flatline your battery quickly. The other will run anywhere so long as you have a small amount of 12V.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper