cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pedestal Tables

Omaklackey
Explorer
Explorer
So I did a bunch of searches for this question hoping someone had already asked it. If they did please let me know and I can delete this post. So we bought a 2017 Toy Hauler Dutchman 2905. It has tables with pedestal based. The salesman initially said we should remove the tables every time we go anywhere but we are getting ready for a long two and half week cross country trip. I do NOT want to have to set up and take down every time we stop. We also have the double bunks on the electronic rails I would rather leave down as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pedestal tables staying up while traveling and the beds staying down instead of in the all the way up position. the least set up and take down we do the more enjoyable this long trip will be
13 REPLIES 13

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I removed the pedestal table mounts and covered the holes with electrical box covers (white).

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVs use these pedestal tables, the only ones that get put away while moving are the ones in the toy haulers. The pedestal bases are cheap pot metal. I've replace mine. I doubt leaving the tables up while driving is the reason the pedestals break. However, pushing the table down to hard or getting up and leaning on the table while getting up, or standing on it - yeah that will crack the base.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I'd leave the tables up and the beds down. Easy enough to check along with tires, hubs, etc. when you stop for a break.
No offense, but that really doesn't make too much sense. Why would you check them when you stop for a break? If they're broken it's too late to do anything about it, and if they're not broken what are you checking to see? It's not like you'll be able to tell when they're about to break, they'll either be broken or not broken, not much in between.

I'd be checking to see if they are still standing. I don't see my bases cracking.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I'd leave the tables up and the beds down. Easy enough to check along with tires, hubs, etc. when you stop for a break.
No offense, but that really doesn't make too much sense. Why would you check them when you stop for a break? If they're broken it's too late to do anything about it, and if they're not broken what are you checking to see? It's not like you'll be able to tell when they're about to break, they'll either be broken or not broken, not much in between.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
If you leave the pedestal tables up you can almost guarantee that the bases will be cracked and loose after a couple days' travel. They are just weak pot metal and won't stand up to the constant vibration and stress.

2nd that I hit a lot of dirt roads, I left mine up a few times they both cracked.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Omaklackey wrote:
So I did a bunch of searches for this question hoping someone had already asked it. If they did please let me know and I can delete this post. So we bought a 2017 Toy Hauler Dutchman 2905. It has tables with pedestal based. The salesman initially said we should remove the tables every time we go anywhere but we are getting ready for a long two and half week cross country trip. I do NOT want to have to set up and take down every time we stop. We also have the double bunks on the electronic rails I would rather leave down as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pedestal tables staying up while traveling and the beds staying down instead of in the all the way up position. the least set up and take down we do the more enjoyable this long trip will be

Not sure on exactly how long it will take to damage your tables if left up while traveling,or if it even will damage them.But have seen tables that have delaminated, broken bases, broke pedestals, etc. These tables are not extremely durable tables. So its not far fetched this will shorten their life from the vibration/bumps/bangs that sets up from being mounted on a pole in a towed rv at speed. If one does come lose from a big bump/ruff roads/etc, its conceivable it could break something else on its way down..? I have had a table come down while driving...

The beds should be in the full up position, tight at the top of their travel, to prevent any movement, with pinned track. If left in the down position they can move around maybe damaging something or themselves from road bumps vibration.
Just a guess, but on some setups it might even add some rigidity/strenth to the walls if beds are up tight..?

It takes just a couple of minutes to put the beds in travel position.
And the same goes for removing the tables. Do it if you want, or not, its not critical imo...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

dannko
Explorer
Explorer
Omaklackey wrote:

Well most motorhomes have the same table and are designed to be up when driving. I rented a class C with this setup and yep halfway thru the trip the table was wobbly and loose. I had to go retighten the flange screws, one was stripped. It held, but this unit was new, so I can imagine after putting on some miles that base (bases, multi-pipes) will break and the screws strip out. So that salesperson may actually be helping knowing full well the base will give out and you will have an issue.

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
I've only broken 1 I think in 9 years. They pockets are available cheap and can be replaced in less than 5 minutes with a cordless drill. I carry both with me all the time.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
If you leave the pedestal tables up you can almost guarantee that the bases will be cracked and loose after a couple days' travel. They are just weak pot metal and won't stand up to the constant vibration and stress.

I think that is a bit extreme but they will break eventually. The pockets for the posts are pot metal and the flush ones don't have much reinforcing, the surface mount ones look to be stronger but they'd get in the way if you're loading toys.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My pedestal table has not been removed in 13 years.
I think your good to go!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would listen to the directions in the manual that came with the RV long before I listened to a salesman.
If this is a pedestal like I'm thinking of with about a 2.5' pipe set into a little hole or holder on the floor I don't know why you would need to remove it. My TC has one of those. It's always up when traveling. Has been for 14 years.