cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Percent of Pin Weight on Each Axle

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We will be switching from a TT to a Fifth Wheel sometime in the not too distant future, so meanwhile I am doing my due diligence. My question is a technical one.

If the fifth wheel hitch is installed where it is recommended, which I understand is several inches in front of the rear axle -- How many inches is correct, BTW? -- What percent of the Pin Weight will be on the rear axle and what percent on the front axle? I realize the % on the rear axle is very high, 90 or 95% or more perhaps, but I would like to know what that figure generally is.

Our TV is a 2004.5 Ram 2500 diesel, Quad Cab, short bed (6'4"), if that info is a factor. Thanks for any input!
41 REPLIES 41

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
My question is a technical one.

If the fifth wheel hitch is installed where it is recommended, which I understand is several inches in front of the rear axle -- How many inches is correct, BTW? -- What percent of the Pin Weight will be on the rear axle and what percent on the front axle? I realize the % on the rear axle is very high, 90 or 95% or more perhaps, but I would like to know what that figure generally is.

You can't can't calculate it without knowing the distance between the axles (wheelbase). But it will only be a couple of % at the most. By the numbers it would be x/(wb-x) where x is inches in front of axle and wb is wheelbase in inches.

If you want to calculate the factor the front axle is unloaded by putting the pin behind the rear axle use x/(wb+x).

For all practical purposes, you could use x/wb in either case... You'll find a couple inches either way really doesn't make much difference.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Mines about 2" in front of the rear axle. Front axle weight never changes.

X2

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ours is maybe an inch forward, never add weight to the front axles. That said, because the weight is directly over or slightly ahead of the rear axle, it doesn't unweight the front like a TT does.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Mines about 2" in front of the rear axle. Front axle weight never changes.

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you don't want to do is have negative steer axle weight. In other words, you don't want the steer axle to weigh less when you are hooked up than it does unhooked.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch weight is 3500 pounds, none of which is on the front axle per the CAT Scale.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I use an Andersen Ultimate whose pyramid design distributes the weight optimally centered over the axle. I can shift it back 4" from the cab with a Curt Offset ball and I can shift it 8" toward the cab by flipping the Andersen kingpin adapter. The weight is all on the rear axle and I use Firestone Airbags to inflate back to level. Primary reason I chose the Andersen was it is light and takes away the least amount of payload capacity.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 2 inches in front of the rear axle.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
crcr wrote:
We will be switching from a TT to a Fifth Wheel sometime in the not too distant future, so meanwhile I am doing my due diligence. My question is a technical one.

Our TV is a 2004.5 Ram 2500 diesel, Quad Cab, short bed (6'4"), if that info is a factor. Thanks for any input!

According to B&W, the goose ball on my T.O. Ball is about 3" forward of the axle centerline and the center of the kingpin is about 1.75-2" forward at the most extreme forward position of the sideplates. Frankly, I'd prefer the 3" that the goose has, but this works.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is probably an inch or so in front of the rear axle. I have about 140 lbs. on the front and about 3,000 lbs. on the rear duallies when I hitch up.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DrBaker
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is right over axle. My front weight is approx same with and without 5er.
2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

Jerry_and_Glori
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2008 Ram the SuperGlide hitch it is mounted center the rear axle and it puts no weight on the front axle. It stays 4440 to 4460 all the time

Jerry
2015 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4
2010 Everest 345S