cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Protection..Why So Few Have If Really Needed?

fairhaven
Explorer
Explorer
For the past month I've been paying particular attention when I walk through camp grounds (both private & state parks) to see how many actually have power protection (not just a surge protector) for their rv. We camped 23 nights in June (5 different parks) and I only saw 7 protectors plugged into the power pedestal. These were all on large fifth wheel rvs. I talked with probably 1/2 of the owners and with the exception of the before mentioned 7 and motor coaches (which all had hard wired units) the owners didn't see the need for that kind of protection. So, 5 parks, 173 owners talked to, and only 7 with power protection that would take care of low voltage issue. Am I missing something on all the hype about needing this kind of power protection?
2014 Palomino Columbus 365RL,2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box, Aisin Transmission
Myself(Bob) Retired (25 Years USAF)
Tami(Wife/Retired 25 Years USAF)
Ashley-13(Daughter)
Nick-10(Our rotty)
76 REPLIES 76

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just got back from 10 days camping... Upon arrival my progressive industries 50A built-in tripped due to low voltage on one leg. I went to the office and asked for a new site/or refund of rental. They were skeptical- I asked them to come let me prove low voltage. I let them look at the remote readout and then confirmed with a voltmeter.

They moved me to the class A section - without argument! Beachfront for the cost of block 3!

I think it paid for itself.

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have a surge protector, and a auto former. So far all have been working as much as I can tell. We have a 30amp service. Now it's all happy-camping

socoguy
Explorer
Explorer
Have not read entire thread and I am sure it has been said. Get it it makes sense if you travel. You just cannot trust every campgrouds power supply. Agree if you stay in a few places all the time you may not want the expense. Cheap one time insurance in my opinion.
go well

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
jornvango wrote:
An incorrectly wired outlet killed our converter and microwave. We were lucky that it didn't affect other appliances like our fridge and A/C.

I don't understand why not more RV manufacturers build these into their RV's ...
In any RV things like power protection or even something simple like a water pressure regulator, should be built-in in my opinion.

2 reasons, aftermarket sales and cheap buyers.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
An incorrectly wired outlet killed our converter and microwave. We were lucky that it didn't affect other appliances like our fridge and A/C.

I don't understand why not more RV manufacturers build these into their RV's ...
In any RV things like power protection or even something simple like a water pressure regulator, should be built-in in my opinion.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
They don't protect from over current, that's what a circuit breaker is for. However if the voltage drops below the set point (102 or 104 depending on brand) then the device will remove power from the rig until the voltage goes back up. No voltage=No over current.

The OP did not say which unit he had but the basic surge protectors are for power surges ONLY, no over/under voltage protection.
Clif & Millie

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

By saying they don't protect against "over current" it would appear to me that it doesn't protect well from low voltage--which is when over current often occurs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
CC-skipjack wrote:
I no longer understand just what these units are supposed to accomplish. I owned a 30 amp Surge Guard (portable) and after disconnecting once last year I noticed the female recept was melted. I emailed the company offering pictures (which they had no interest in) and asked for an explanation and this is what I got.
product rep wrote:
Hello,

The unit does not protect against over current. If there is melted or burned connections it is not recommend to use the devise.

Regards,

Product Information
Technology Research Corporation

A Subsidiary of Coleman Cable Incorporated
Toll Free: 800-780-4324

So now I'm not sure it does much good....

You can buy a new 30A socket and repair the unit you already have. Be sure the prongs on your 30 amp power cord to the RV aren't corroded or burnt. If so, you gotta clean them up or replace that plug, too.

Also, make sure that the breakers on the pedestal are OFF before plugging or unplugging, to prevent burning. We learned the hard way.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
CC-skipjack wrote:
I no longer understand just what these units are supposed to accomplish. I owned a 30 amp Surge Guard (portable) and after disconnecting once last year I noticed the female recept was melted. I emailed the company offering pictures (which they had no interest in) and asked for an explanation and this is what I got.
product rep wrote:
Hello,

The unit does not protect against over current. If there is melted or burned connections it is not recommend to use the devise.

Regards,

Product Information

You can buy a new 30A socket and repair the unit you already have. Be sure the prongs on your 30 amp power cord to the RV aren't corroded or burnt. If so, you gotta clean them up or replace that plug, too.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
CC-skipjack wrote:
product rep wrote:
Hello,

Regards,

Product Information

which model? from this list, there look to be two 30 amp externals.
power protection device comparison
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
product rep wrote:
Hello,

Regards,

Product Information

Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
While sitting in our trailer this morning drinking coffee and watching TV the electricity in the trailer cut off. Not the park just the PI Protection kicking in. After about 2 minutes everything returned to normal. I checked the display and Line 2 had low voltage causing the shutdown. The park has been running 116-120v so it was surprising but I was glad I had the unit as the BR AC was chugging along at that time.
Clif & Millie

oh_boy
Explorer
Explorer
I put one in last winter 50amp HW,EMS,with remote 289.00 free shipping fast service. 50amp portable 239.00 that is very cheap insurance.
Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We bought one several years back. We stay in an old park in Colorado. We had some bad winds earlier, and a tree came down on a line. Over the course of several days are electric would go off and come back on. Then one day while running 1 A/C which all that can be used up here, as its 30 amp park, You could hear things kick off and then try to come back on. I was glad I had the protection. Not sure it would have taken out anything but I felt good that I had the protection. We stay here for 3 months, so this is a good investment. If I trade again, I'll make sure I get one that is hard wired.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
rtazz17 wrote:
I really need to get off my butt and get another one.I have a 30amp one from our last tt but since getting this 50 amp fiver a yr ago I havent had one due to the fact I like having all 50 amps available to use.I know I spent some serious coin on the 30 amp one.What is the difference between the very expensive outdoor ones and inexpensive outdoor ones.The joule rating?All of them will protect from low voltage correct? Joule rating would be useful for a big power surge like lightning correct?Im just not wanting to drop 300 bucks right now if 110 will do it.

I

I have the inexpensive external one.SSP-50 It does NOT provide low/high voltage protection. or live wiring issues (sudden lost neutral, etc ..)

I don't see one that provides that level of service external or internal for less that $300.
link provided earlier here with functional comparison
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB