cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane detector squealing

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
We're on the road travelling south to Arizona and stopped for a few minutes at the US border. I heard the propane detector ringing off and on. The tanks are turned off, we're hooked up and we can't figure out why. The tanks are 8 years old and were last used during the summer. Any thoughts?
21 REPLIES 21

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after reading thru the comments I guess I need to check mine as it is 11 years old and has not made a sound yet. It was powered up Sunday when I was in the trailer looking for something.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

Another consideration, is detector location. It needs to be in best area, and the right distance from the floor.

Jerry

A good point for the OP - who seems to be "new" to propane detectors -

Since propane is heavier than air.......

the "right distance" is close to the floor, and NOT "upstairs" in the bedroom!...:W

~

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I replaced mine with same as original. They are not cheap, but easy to replace. I think mine was just under $100 from Amazon. You want one that runs on battery power, live all the time.

Mine was one day past the date marked on back, when it started going off every once in a while. Even though my FW is a 2012, the date on the detector was 2010. The new one has yet to go off, other than when I hit test.

Another consideration, is detector location. It needs to be in best area, and the right distance from the floor.

Jerry

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Although the propane detector appears to be working fine now, advice from other posters has convinced us to replace it. Our 5th wheel is a 2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite. Would you suggest we use a plug in replacement or should we find one that wires in like the present one?

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My LP alarm doesn't like extreme heat (just like me) and it goes off on summer days when the trailer is closed up. I reset it and open the door for awhile and it stays off til the next blistering day. It's also probably due to be replaced. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Endricken wrote:
FYI
My OEM Detector lasted 5 years. Replacement has just turned 5 years old and has started going off occasionally. Will order a new one soon.
Perhaps their lifespan is associated with being "ON" (Battery power on) and we're practically fulltimers so maybe that's why our detectors lifespans are nominal vs. longer.

Most are wired directly to battery bypassing disconnect switch ......parasitic draw.....so they are always ON

:h :S

Guess it sould be called only a partial disconnect switch!!

I installed my own, directly in the positive side of the battery.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a build up of dust set off smoke detectors but not sure if the same would set off propane detectors.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Endricken wrote:
FYI
My OEM Detector lasted 5 years. Replacement has just turned 5 years old and has started going off occasionally. Will order a new one soon.
Perhaps their lifespan is associated with being "ON" (Battery power on) and we're practically fulltimers so maybe that's why our detectors lifespans are nominal vs. longer.

Most are wired directly to battery bypassing disconnect switch ......parasitic draw.....so they are always ON
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
FYI
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Just to be on the safe side, CHECK your stove knobs to make sure they didn't get bumped to the on position. Been there done that.

I know the OP has already ruled this out, but I wanted to make a comment.

Several years ago I was sitting by the fire mid-day, when the trailer my sister-in-law had rented started beeping like crazy. Good thing the trailer was unlocked.

I shut off the stove, aired out the trailer. They returned from the pool none the wiser.

yes....someone must have leaned on it.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

You know they also make great alarm clocks at 2:00 am in the morning, when the 50 amp has only one good side, and it isn't the one that powers the 12v converter! :S

Or when the dog decides that snuggling with the sensor on a 35* night would be a good way to scare the cr-p out of dad. :E

Be glad it was going off during the day.

Try going back to sleep with the thought: "I think it was just the dog...I hope it was just the dog".

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Our propane detector was less than 2 years old when it went out. My goodness, it made so much noise that everyone in our camping loop must have heard it (it was night time). We disconnected it and purchased a new one. They are pricey but essential.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Propane detector sensors have a shelf life ...typically 5-7 yrs.

You posted in 5th wheel, posted that tanks are 8 yrs old.....so guessing you probably have a 2007 5th wheel

Replace that old detector ....it's time for a new one
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ipeltier wrote:
Thanks for all your advice. Once again, the RV Forum comes to our rescue. When I read all your responses to my husband, he did a double check on the battery and reconnected the wires. The squealing stopped. He thinks it might have been a loose connection. But we are also going to check the expiry date on the detector in the morning (not camping in it right now--in a hotel in Great Falls on our way to Arizona).

You know they also make great alarm clocks at 2:00 am in the morning, when the 50 amp has only one good side, and it isn't the one that powers the 12v converter! :S

Glad the solution was easy.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"