cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling the trigger: Jayco Seismic 4112

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after looking around, we decided on the Jayco Seismic 4112. We looked it over again for about the 3rd. time today and though it's lacking a few things, the wife really likes it and so do I...two full baths, washer/dryer hook up, residential fridge, 5500 Onan generator, even a dishwasher:E..Has a GVW of 20,000# and probably a pin weight probably close to or a little over 4,000# or more....(have the truck and hitch for it:)....The king bed takes up a lot of room in the bedroom and not as much "clothes space as in our HR, but there is a lot of room elsewhere to put clothes. Doesn't have a convection oven, but guess we can buy one, (has a microwave)....Love the floor's and full body paint makes it really look good.

I'm towing a 39' 9" 5er now, loaded to 16,300# and this unit is 5' longer...guess I'll have to make wider curves? :)...

Unless something happens, this will be the unit the wife and I will spend a lot of our retirement in..

Any input from anyone? With 2 yr warranty and pretty decent insulation structure, believe it'll work..Whatcha think:).

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet
61 REPLIES 61

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
4wheelingNUT!! wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
3 ACs with an Onan 5500? I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with a larger generator.

I would assume it only allows two to be run at a time. Three would be sweet in a toy hauler all at once but I don't think any do that.

I think. :h

Yep, 3 AC's, but gen set is only 5500....Really not a big deal....We don't really boon dock..We have a camp in WVa on a River....250amp service with RV 50 amp hook up, a 30 amp hook up and two 120 hook-ups as well as septic system and city water, (how city water is in the middle of nowhere and no "city" around for 40 miles is odd), but most of what we will do will be where you hook up to electric. This will be our "retirement 5er"...it affords the wife and I a little more room than what we have now with, what I think is a great company with a good reputation and a 2yr warranty. We'll spend most of our time at our place in WVa, then when it get's too cold, we'll head to warmer climate...that's the plan, hope it works out for us....I plan on retiring 1 Aug of next year, (turned 65 this past July).

It's a big step, but only thing I'm wondering about is how do I handle an extra 5':)
I don't think you'll notice a big difference at all In the extra 5 foot. Should handle the turns similar to what your old unit did, depending on where your axles are located from the back, It may have just a little extra tail swing. Triple axles will scrub a little, on tighter turns, but It's really not a big deal, cause double axles do to. I just don't think It's much to worry about. Sounds like you have got a really nice setup, and pictures of your rig would be nice to see. Enjoy your new toyhauler

Thank you for the input...Was wondering about the cornering...I've seen tires on my HR scrub when turning around in our cul-de-sac...so I figured the middle tires will scrub if making a sharp corner on a triple axle....Guess with unit being almost 5' longer, that I was wondering about corning,,,,

again, thank you,
Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

4wheelingNUT__
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
3 ACs with an Onan 5500? I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with a larger generator.

I would assume it only allows two to be run at a time. Three would be sweet in a toy hauler all at once but I don't think any do that.

I think. :h

Yep, 3 AC's, but gen set is only 5500....Really not a big deal....We don't really boon dock..We have a camp in WVa on a River....250amp service with RV 50 amp hook up, a 30 amp hook up and two 120 hook-ups as well as septic system and city water, (how city water is in the middle of nowhere and no "city" around for 40 miles is odd), but most of what we will do will be where you hook up to electric. This will be our "retirement 5er"...it affords the wife and I a little more room than what we have now with, what I think is a great company with a good reputation and a 2yr warranty. We'll spend most of our time at our place in WVa, then when it get's too cold, we'll head to warmer climate...that's the plan, hope it works out for us....I plan on retiring 1 Aug of next year, (turned 65 this past July).

It's a big step, but only thing I'm wondering about is how do I handle an extra 5':)
I don't think you'll notice a big difference at all In the extra 5 foot. Should handle the turns similar to what your old unit did, depending on where your axles are located from the back, It may have just a little extra tail swing. Triple axles will scrub a little, on tighter turns, but It's really not a big deal, cause double axles do to. I just don't think It's much to worry about. Sounds like you have got a really nice setup, and pictures of your rig would be nice to see. Enjoy your new toyhauler

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
big buford wrote:
Best wishes for a speedy full recovery!

Thank you.....I'm going to have to learn patience (:
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Jim sorry to hear about your stroke. Hoping rehab goes well and quick for you.

Thank you very much.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Best wishes for a speedy full recovery!
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

Y-Guy
Jim sorry to hear about your stroke. Hoping rehab goes well and quick for you.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Had a bit of a set back. I had a stroke Wed morn, Aug. 19th. around 1am and I'm in re-hab right now...The Jayco is sitting at my dealer and we told them to take their time and get it done in a non hurried manner and..they're not charging me to keep it there til I can have it moved...I have pics and will try to post some as soon as I can

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

C130
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
joebedford wrote:
taken wrote:
As to towing 44', ours is a tad over that.
According to the Forest River website, a 395AMP is 42'2".

According to my tape measure it's 44'6". The industry is full of this. My last RV was listed as 36' on Road Warrior's website and was actually over 40 as well. They have since corrected it. One thing I've learned from buying four RV's.... never trust the specs on their website...

Some of the manufacturers measure length from rear to center of pin. Depending on where the pin box is located can affect the total length. Grand Designs measures from the center of the pin I think so their Momentum's are a little longer than advertised. I'm going through this issue now as I need to make sure whatever I buy will fit in my 45 foot storage unit and know it'll be tight for sure. I'm hoping to not have to move to a larger size as they charge a lot more. I'm going form a 35 foot toy hauler to probably around 42-43 feet advertised length.

As far as the license I had to get the Class A Exempt for my 35 foot toy hauler. It's based on weight in Texas. It's not difficult but it is kinda a pain just taking the time to do it. But, it is well worth it if it's needed and one less thing to worry about. Now, California is a different story and more in depth from what has been discussed in a long thread on another forum. If anyone ever needs any information I'd be glad to help. There's a very detailed thread on the Keystone RV forum.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to pick it up this Friday .. we'll see how it goes..pics will follow.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Get-r-done! Want to see some pics!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

taken
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
taken wrote:

According to my tape measure it's 44'6". The industry is full of this. My last RV was listed as 36' on Road Warrior's website and was actually over 40 as well. They have since corrected it. One thing I've learned from buying four RV's.... never trust the specs on their website...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
taken wrote:

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, you said it's wired for solar and a back up camera. You will be very happy with both if you add them. I have a 160 watt panel on my roof which keeps my two 6v's topped up while not in use or during the day while dry camping. No, it won't run a 3k inverter but it does what we need it to. We also have the Garmin RV 760 nav with back up camera. The camera is great for watching my bride direct as I am backing into a tight spot. The nav is great as you can set it up with your length, width, height, and weight. It will then direct you around any roads where any of these may be an issue.

As to towing 44', ours is a tad over that. No trouble towing it at all. Last one was 40 and this feels no different.

As for not having toys, you'd love a nice custom golf cart to explore the larger campgrounds. I thought it was too old fart for me, but after seeing some of them, they are really cool. Just a thought.

Anyways, congrats on the new rig. Mike Aplin left Heartland's Road Warrior / Cyclone division and is now running Jayco's toy hauler division. He's a great guy who I'm sure built you a great trailer. He's also great if anything goes wrong and will stand behind his product and get you back to 100% if necessary.

Looking forward to your pics...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
I'll bet both of you were surprised how much stuff you had in the old trailer! We felt like hoarders when we unloaded ours!

Well, we've done this quite a few times over the years and actually unloaded un-needed things before we started this time, (learn by doing?:))...BUT, again, as you stated, had more than you would think..When I see post on loading campers up and someone "speculates" how much they'll put in their unit, (pound wise)...I usually chime in and say something like you did....It's amazing how much we pack in these units and you don't really realize it until you unload it into a new one:)......
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet