cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Kitchen

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a unit with a rear kitchen that we liked. My question is, has anyone had problems with too much bouncing around causing dishes to break etc.... thanks for any info you may provide.
36 REPLIES 36

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Our next trailer will be an RK. The type with the U shaped counter. Not worried about stuff bouncing around. I'll add shocks if necessary. Cabinet closures are also a culprit in doors opening. We have a RL right now and several drawers open during travel. No biggie.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our second TT with a rear kitchen, and have never had anything broken, no cabinets have come open, nothing thrown on the floor, etc. No issues whatsoever.

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Tango 2660 RKS, with a rear side door and rear kitchen.
That floor plan is what sold us.
Our coffee maker rides on the counter top and stays there all during the trip.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Love our RK, only one incident. Hit a road buckle that was more like a speed bump at 45 mph! TV with Bil's did fine, 5er almost left the ground! Beer and sodas in refer door shelfs took out the shelfs. The 5er now has shocks and zero issues.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I was a RV transporter and I hauled a new unit from the MFG. to a dealer. The sales people were unaware that it was a rear kitchen. As I pulled onto the lot the sales people had heard that I was bringing in this great new unit that was the rave of the MFG.

When I opened it up and they saw that it had a RK I thought I was going to be hung and shot all at the same time. As far as the sales staff was concerned it should never had been brought in. They had a long list of why, but the gist of it was a RK unit was hard to sell, women did not like them because stuff always bounced out or was broken etc.

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the responses

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
My last 5th wheel had a rear kitchen and over a period of ten years I probably lost a dozen drinking glasses and a couple of dinner plates. I had to put a lock on the pantry door to keep the groceries from spilling onto the floor. To a large extent it depends on the quality of roads you are traveling on.
That said, I would not hesitate to buy another rear kitchen if I liked the floor plan.
Another peculiar thing was a separate drain for the galley tank that was at the extreme rear of the trailer. At a dump station you dumped the front tanks and then pulled forward 15 foot to dump the galley.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1998 Coachman 297RKS TT with a rear kitchen which worked well for us,only drawback was not enough rear window area.We would tie wrap the cabinet doors closed (re-usuable tie wraps)to keep things from bouncing out while going down the road.

After one incident of broken dishes we packed everything a little different and that stopped the problem.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T wrote:
We are going on 4 years in a unit with a rear kitchen and have had no issues. I love having a rear kitchen!

2006 Jayco since new w/rear kitchen.

Works fine for us - would have another.

If an RK fits your needs/plans/likes - go for it.

Make sure whatever you buy has *shocks*..;)

Important for *any* 5th - but especially for Rear Kitchen models..:W

TANDDRIGGSNFLA
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our rear kitchen for almost two years and love it.

SH
Explorer
Explorer
HERE are six pages of an older post with the same question! Now that we actually have a RK don't think we would have anything else. RL's are nice but seems like with the rear recliners you never get to take advantage of most "views" anyway. DW loves the kitchen and counter space!

2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Sundance RK. We take a little extra care packing but nothing serious. Weren't careful enough the first year and broke the Microwave turntable no we pad it with some bubble wrap and it's fine.

DW loves the kitchen storage and counter space.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Our 1st 5th wheel was a rear bath model with a tiny center kitchen.
Our last two 5th wheel trailers were the RK models. Our current '97 RK has over 125k miles with no issues.
Were looking to downsize to a shorter trailer or maybe back to a truck camper. If its a trailer the wife sayzz it will be another RK.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MrRetired821
Explorer
Explorer
Had RK in our Excel for about 10 years. The only thing that broke was the glass tray in the microwave which was along the back wall. After getting a new tray we put a small throw pillow in the microwave whenever we traveled. No more problem.
Smokey&Bobbye