cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator problems

davonelson
Explorer
Explorer
My Dometic two way frig will cool on gas but not on 110. How do I test to determine the problem? Thanks. DAN
10 REPLIES 10

greende
Explorer
Explorer
You should check power going into the circuit board and power out to the heating element as well. I recently had the same thing happen but only intermittently. I have reason to believe that relay is sticking. I always have 120V power into the circuit board but none out when the element doesn't work. Then, spontaneously, it will work again. If it keeps up or gets more frequent, I will have to replace the lower (outside) control board.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Check the obvious first. Does the outlet that the refrigerator is plugged into have power?
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
How long is a piece of rope?

I know the answer to this....Twice the distance from the center to one end.

Ron
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question: With a VOM meter and some knowledge of electricity. Good luck.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
The fuse has been replaced?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
davonelson wrote:
My meter reads the exact same 43.7 as yours. Does that mean the heater element is bad? DAN

I would say the one in the picture is good. At 43.7 ohms and using Ohms Law that would be a 329.5w heating element. IIRC there are 2 350w so that could be close. At least on my Norcold.

On Ohms scale 0 is a dead short. No reading is open.

Go to AC Volt scale and very carefully check the voltage on those 2 wires with it turned on. The should be ~120v AC there, if not figure out why.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

exp_II
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry the picture is one from the web, not mine, picture was for where the element and curcuit board are located
My element read 0 ohm meaning it was open or it had a break in it, the one pictured is reading good.
To be safe it is best to have the fridge unplugged when testing the system for conuity .

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long is a piece of rope?

What does that question have to do with anything you might ask......

Well w/o more info on which Model of Dometic you have is same as asking my initial question.

Know that you have a Dometic 2-way fridge that doesn't work on AC power but like my question not much more.

Some models....44 ohms is good
Some models....80 ohms is good

Sometimes element can ohm good and be bad
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

davonelson
Explorer
Explorer
My meter reads the exact same 43.7 as yours. Does that mean the heater element is bad? DAN

exp_II
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was doing the same thing, I looked on the web and checked almost everything
What I found was when I tested the heater element for the 110 volt it tested open
I think when it failed it also blew a fuse in the print cucuit board
this all sits behind the outside panel that can be removed.
Something like this