cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 34 foot fiver and thinking about satellite. Any thoughts on a roof mount or portable? Also Direct or Dish?
17 REPLIES 17

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
I bought a DirecTv portable dish and tripod mount off the net and take a DirecTv box from home. Not HD but works great.

Same here but I got all the stuff minus the tripod out of junk piles. Works great with my el cheapo satellite finder (bird dog).

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
We us Dish 1000.4 to get 110, 119 and 129 birds. If you wish to record he from more than one satellite at a time, the tailgate will not work since it can only lock onto one satellite at a time. We have a 4 foot tripod to support the dish and anchor it with steel stakes. To set up we use android sat finder app and Sat buddy 2 meter to get signal.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a portable MP-1 and Dish Network. I remove the home DVR and take it with us. No additional service plan needed.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I use dishpointer pro on my android. Works great for locating satellites through trees and to determine where to put the dish.
I use a 5' portable tripod and a slimline dish with multiswitch lnb set up.
I run two cables (up to 100') to two separate receivers in my rig.
Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Direct TV hands down and try a Vu Qube can be setup and used anywhere and they have mounts kits for the RV if thats what you want
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
jayhardy wrote:
Whats the name App for the Satelitte finders for Directv

RV Sat finder
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you like to park under trees get a portable. If you mostly park in the open you can get by with a roof mount.
We like trees. We have Dish with a Tailgater. Works great. Find a hole thru the trees with a smart phone app, set the Tailgater in that spot, plug everything in, get TV in HD.
Dish makes it easy to change your service address and get the closest local network channels as you travel. Nice to have network programs in your current time zone as well as local channels for news and weather.

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
I switched to Directv a couple years a go just so I could take receivers from the house and have great TV. I take the standard DVR so she has her shows and I take a small box for the bedroom. I bought a $100 portable dish from Wineguard. You had water to the holder to add weight. It just sits on the lawn. I have found a signal every time for 5 years without any fancy "Finder" equipment. If I'm struggling to find a signal I will check out where all the other campers are aiming. I also right down where I got signal at every site I go in Washingtson State for future reference.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has an Iphone 5. I went to the app page and downloaded a satellite finder app by Norstar. It's free. Run the app and point the phone at the sky and it shows the location of all the satellites as well as azimuth and elevation. It makes it very easy to see where you can put the dish. We have Directv HD at the house. I was trying to figure out how to get a SD receiver to use in the trailer with the Direct TV standard dish. After lots of hair-pulling I finally called Directv and they sent me a SD receiver (RV doesn't have a HD TV) to use with the standard dish, costs me $6/month on my house bill. Cheap enough and the whole setup stays in the trailer, no moving back and forth and reprogramming the remote for the different TV's.

On my initial setup I could get it working until I found the satellite locator app and discovered what I thought was the correct place was wrong and the satellite I wanted was behind a tree.

Took it out last weekend and had a clear shot to the south. Set up dish and pointed it at the satellite and adjusted using the inline signal meter after the phone showed me where the satellite was. Went inside and checked the receiver, 86% and a perfect picture. Total elapsed time for my second time setup; appx 10 minutes. Probably a few minutes more than the setup time for the automatic deal considering running coax has to be done for both as well as making sure there is a clear path to the satellite.

The tripod setup was $90 with shipping vs ~$650 for the automatic. Same receiver either way. Nobrainer for me.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a DirecTv portable dish and tripod mount off the net and take a DirecTv box from home. Not HD but works great.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

williamp321
Explorer
Explorer
My Choice is Direct on a tri
pod.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
A lot af the places we like to go have trees and a roof mount would be blocked so I am going to try a tripod or some ground mounting. The automatic rooftop would be nice.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.