cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

scale

beachbum5
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot about weighting at cat scale, what is cat scale or where do go to weight truck and trailer.
13 REPLIES 13

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Oregon State weigh stations leave the displays on 24/7/365. You can pull into one evening or weekends and weigh for free, and with and without the 5er in most. There is one on 101 north of Seaside by Ft. Stevens SP that is pull through only.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
I have weighted mine a couple of times at the local feed mill. Thier scales are certified as they are used for trade. I don't get tickets, just drive across and read the display that is set so you can see it. Oh, I use to work at the company that owns the scales. A very large local egg firm.

X2.
My feed store (small town) has a feed mill and buys their own grains/sorgum/etc. They leave the scale open 24/7 so I simply stop by especially sundays and play around with truck/trailer axle weights.

I keep axle weights in every car and truck and trailer on the place. Even my blue tractor.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have weighted mine a couple of times at the local feed mill. Thier scales are certified as they are used for trade. I don't get tickets, just drive across and read the display that is set so you can see it. Oh, I use to work at the company that owns the scales. A very large local egg firm.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Almost all truck stops have certified Cat Scales. I don't worry about saving a couple bucks on the second weigh in. I will fuel up when we are loaded and ready for the next days travel (truck only). Of course that weight ticket will cost me $10.00. Then at some point when I am getting fuel while hooked up, and the scales at the truck stop I am using are not busy, I will take the whole rig across and get my other weight ticket. I just keep my weight tickets in the truck and then in a couple of days when I have time I will pull them out and start going through the numbers to see where I am at.

I know doing your weights this way actually costs an additional $7.00. But to me it is worth it for the convenience of not having to drop my fiver in a truck stop parking lot in order to weigh my truck solo.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Also, if your a member of escapees they have scales at their events along with several fixed scales around the country that weigh individual tires. their site is HERE.
Look for the smartweigh selection on the lower page.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If the trailer is riding level I figure my side to side weight is equal or close enough for me.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:
hbillsmith wrote:
Just curious. But how do you get the left and right weights? I want to make sure my side to side is balanced also. I haven't figured out an easy way to get those.

You'd want to be weighed using individual scales that will give you each tire weight. I used a member of this forum who has no sold his business but felt it was well worth the extra $$.

Check HERE for an example

I found a state trooper here in Indiana who was nice enough to follow me home when he was not busy and weigh each tire on the RV and the TV. This was not a fully loaded weight, but it gave me the start I needed. Thanks to the police!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
Just curious. But how do you get the left and right weights? I want to make sure my side to side is balanced also. I haven't figured out an easy way to get those.

You'd want to be weighed using individual scales that will give you each tire weight. I used a member of this forum who has now sold his business but felt it was well worth the extra $$.

Check HERE for an example
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer

Also, a few times that I've been at a CAT, I was chastised for not letting them know my ticket number on the re-weigh. Basically, they wanted me to come inside and pick up my ticket before I dropped for the second or third reweighs. They needed my initial weigh ticket number in order for CAT's system to recognize it as a reweigh. I think it's $10 for a first weight and then $3 for additionals.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

beachbum5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Cat is just the name of the company that installs the drive on/off scales at most truck stops. It is like calling all copies xerox. There are three separate plates to the scale. One for the steer wheels, one for the drive wheels and one for the trailer wheels. You park with the appropriate wheels on the appropriate plate, hit the talk button and when they answer tell them you are an RV. They will say ok and then you pull off the scale and go inside and get the weight ticket with the three weights and a total listed. IF you are concerned about your hitch weight then you can disconnect in the parking lot and go back to get just the truck weight without the trailer attached. This time you say it is a reweigh and you pay a reduced cost and get the new ticket. Compare the two drive wheel weights to get your hitch weight. I am generally more concerned about individual axle weights so I split my front and rear trailer axles on the reweigh between the drive and trailer plate. Try to avoid spending to much time on the scale since there are commercial drivers that want to get on too.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

SH
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link for Cat Scale locator
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK