cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Separate garage?

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that have the separate garages do regret it? Or if you don't one do you wish you did?

We have a friend that had one and said not to get the separate garage because it cuts down on space. But, I kind of like the idea. For one we don't have to see the garage area and two we can put our dog back there while camping if its wet out and don't want her running all over the living area.

I think it would be easier with separate because we could get one big enough to haul 2 4 wheelers but we can always put one in the back of our truck.

Opinions please......
35 REPLIES 35

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 30 ft Nitros ultralight till tomorrow open garage and I really liked it, my lady was ok with it except we where bumping into each other. She is buying a 2015 311 impact keystone tomorrow with the closed garage and 2 slides. when the Harley is out that space will be used as a leisure lounge looking out the back at the country.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
TraciK wrote:
Johnny H Lots of 4 wheelers being stolen around here. We bought chains and locks to lock ours up at night. I know someone can cut them. But, hopefully people aren't traveling around with cutters. Also, we've heard of generators being stolen. We also lock that up.

Stolen generator???

Mine is built into a cabinet in my toyhauler.
Would be alot of work to take that out of there...... ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Don't have a garage and don't regret it.

I bought my hauler to haul lots of toys. Not to sit inside and have a separate area from my garage.

Been doing this since 2001 and have spilled gas, oil and antifreeze on the floor. Clean it up and the smell goes away.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny H Lots of 4 wheelers being stolen around here. We bought chains and locks to lock ours up at night. I know someone can cut them. But, hopefully people aren't traveling around with cutters. Also, we've heard of generators being stolen. We also lock that up.

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we finally bought one!! Got one with a separate garage. We will see how it all works out. If we decide we don't like it we will sell and try and again. lol We going to try it out this weekend.

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer seperate simply for the fact that I am really getting to the point where I just don't trust people, too many sour apples in the mix. I like being able to pull my toys into the garage lock the doors and nobody can mess with them and it keeps me out of jail.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Going to look at one today that does not have the separate garage. The price is right. But, we will see.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have a garage and don't regret it.

I bought my hauler to haul lots of toys. Not to sit inside and have a separate area from my garage.

Been doing this since 2001 and have spilled gas, oil and antifreeze on the floor. Clean it up and the smell goes away.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Y-Guy
Congrats!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
steiny93 wrote:
just inked a deal on a new 5th wheel yesterday

Got to go with what works for you. Same reason we moved to a Class A with trailer.

So the 25,000 dollar question is... what did you go with?

Looked at a pile of different 5th wheels; front living quickly became a hard requirement (I'm 6'4"; crouching in a shower is lame). Out of all the choices we landed on a Montana 3711 with pretty much everything except the genset. I really really liked the cyclone but if you aren't using the garage it totally kills your living room space. The Montana has the front entertainment area which my wife loved; so we'll see how this one plays out.

Truck will be getting a mod so we can haul 3 atv's or 1 atv and a pair of side x side's all on the deck. Think a single double decker lift for 1 atv. Once that is in place we will be able to take 3 toys and the trailer with or leave the semi and pull it with a 3/4 ton pickup for shorter trips.
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

Y-Guy
steiny93 wrote:

Got to go with what works for you. Same reason we moved to a Class A with trailer.

So the 25,000 dollar question is... what did you go with?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer

we departed from a toyhauler back to a regular 5th wheel; here are our reasons
- gave up way to much storage going to a toyhauler; that was a hard transition
- after getting the semi we didn't need the garage to haul our atv's or side x sides; we now have a solution that enables 3 on the semi
- interior space to cramped; 41.5ft and a tiny kitchen that was a drag
- wanting a separate space for the kid separate then the kitchen and nicer then a garage; we thought the loft would be the ticket but no go; to short

I think a lot of those rationales are in the vein of the separate garage or not decision. But as others have posted, it'll totally depend on how you use the rig.
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Never had smells from my open 22 or 35 foot trailers-
Having said that, I would not go with out a garage ever again. It is just a better layout so long as you get a big enough garage.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
As for fumes...

If you ride 2-strokes or poorly maintained ATV/motorcycles then yes your likely going to get fumes in the trailer. Ride four strokes that are properly maintained/cleaned and take the time to turn off fuel lines and run floats dry then pinch off the gas vent line there is really no smell to deal with.

So this isn't a one size fits all answer. Some will get fumes and others will not. Plain and simple...

Got to say I do not agree with this statement either, haul two and four strokes in my trailer all the time, no smell once the toys are removed.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX