cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short bed - sliding hitch vs sidewinder?

JeffPritchard
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie to 5th wheel arena.

I'm in the throes of figuring out my next rig.

I'm planning to go with a short bed "half-ton" (nay-sayers, please hold your tongue this time...already hashed that out in another thread. 🙂 )

I have looked at a fair number of youtube vids about the awesomeness of both sliding hitches and sidewinder/revolution pin-box approach to avoiding collision between trailer and rear of cab.

I can't seem to decide yet which is "better". Any of you have tried both and can compare/contrast the two approaches?
Jeff Pritchard in Greensboro
2008 Lance 1191 - 2005 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel (paid for)
Wilderness Photographer - Click here to see my wilderness images
43 REPLIES 43

Curlida
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this helps but I have a short bed on my Silverado 3500 and a B&W 20K companion pulling a 40' Montana and I have no problem with sharp turns,in fact at 90 deg. I have about 3" clearance.

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
MinnCamper wrote:
Manual sliders here. Used it once in 15 yrs on my short box. Good insurance. Good luck

We are fairly new also but have a short bed with a 32' fiver. We have the sliding Reese with absolutely no problems at all. We have had to use it just once in an old New England CG; so our vote would be for the sliding hitch.

Good luck!

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
MinnCamper wrote:
Manual sliders here. Used it once in 15 yrs on my short box. Good insurance. Good luck

We are fairly new also but have a short bed with a 32' fiver. We have the sliding Reese with absolutely no problems at all. We have had to use it just once in an old New England CG; so our vote would be for the sliding hitch.

Good luck!

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Sidewinder here. Had it when I pulled with a short bed 2005 Dodge. Now have a long bed (8') Ram and keeping the Sidewinder. I don't understand the problem with lineup mentioned earlier. If you are mis-aligned just give the sidewinder a little push or pull right or left and line it up. I have never had a problem once I bought a brand dedicated wedge. With the standard wedge hook-up could be a bear. There is also no more instability in towing than any other 5er. The Sidewinder does the job without concern.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
rreynold51 wrote:
I know I read some one's comment that the sidewinder didn't work well with a B&W hitch but can't find it now. I talked with vendor and they told me they had a specific wedge for the B&W and it works great. I have a SB truck and looking at either the sidewinder or the airborne sidewinder to provide some better maneuverability. Does the airborne addition work well enough to justify the extra costs??? And anyone have any issues with the sidewinder and B&W hitch???

Thanks!

I have contacted etrailer and also B&W. The sidewinder is OK to use with the Ram (RVK3600) or the Ford Puck version. The regular companion that attaches in one place (gooseneck) is NOT recommended for using with a Sidewinder.

I have 5000 towing miles with my B&W RVK3600 hitch and Sidewinder. It works great. I did break the wedge on the sidewinder here recently, but they sent me a new one within a day. Good customer service
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
rreynold51 wrote:
I know I read some one's comment that the sidewinder didn't work well with a B&W hitch but can't find it now. I talked with vendor and they told me they had a specific wedge for the B&W and it works great.

Here's what etrailer says about that:

Question:
Can a Revolution Pin Box work satisfactorily with the B&W Companion 5th Wheel hitch for a gooseneck hitch? A blog on the B&W website says no, but it doesnt seem to be and official B&W entry or statement. Just bought a new 5th wheel Skyline Walkabout 28RE w/ dry wt. of 6745. So far this combination has worked great with no indication of a problem.
asked by: Gene B

Expert Reply:
No, a Sidewinder or Revolution pin box cannot be used with a B&W Companion hitch that fits in the gooseneck ball hole.

The problem is that the pivot point on the trailer is locked out at the hitch and moved back 22 inches to the turret on the Revolution/Sidewinder. This creates extra stress and torque on the hitch. This extra force can end up twisting the hitch, and where it connects in the gooseneck ball hole, and can damage both.

If it was the Companion hitch that fits in the 4 pucks on the OEM Ford and Ram 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch prep packages then a Revolution or Sidewinder can be used.

You would have to have a regular 5th wheel trailer hitch installed to tow with a Revolution pin box. If you can tell me the year, make, and model of the truck and the length of the bed I can make some recommendations. However, the gooseneck hitch would have to come out to install a 5th wheel hitch.
expert reply by: Michael H

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

rreynold51
Explorer
Explorer
I know I read some one's comment that the sidewinder didn't work well with a B&W hitch but can't find it now. I talked with vendor and they told me they had a specific wedge for the B&W and it works great. I have a SB truck and looking at either the sidewinder or the airborne sidewinder to provide some better maneuverability. Does the airborne addition work well enough to justify the extra costs??? And anyone have any issues with the sidewinder and B&W hitch???

Thanks!
Rick & Debbi NJ5W/N5GHN
El Paso, Texas

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
do yourself a favor get the sidewinder

X2

Curlida
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this helps but I have a 2015 Silverado,3500 diesel with a short bed. B&W goosneck w/ 20k companion hitch and no slider. When I did my research I was told I did not need one,and I'm pulling a 2016 3711FL Montana. They were right, I have 4 plus inches of clearance between my cab and fifth when close to 90 deg. Turn. I have not had to do a complete 90 but am sure I can with no problem.

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
busmanns wrote:
I use a pull-rite and love it never having to think about anything just back up or turn any turn.

X2. Love our super glide, but it is a heavy hitch at almost 200# if you have a half ton and weight is an important consideration.

busmanns
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pull-rite and love it never having to think about anything just back up or turn any turn.

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 5.5' bed and use the 5th airborne SW with our rig. Over 12000 miles towing and never a problem. Plenty of clearance and can turn over 90 deg.

'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jeff we use an etty bitty tinny tiny Ecoboost to lug our monster 5'er around and hold it to the truck with a Pullrite Superglide. What a fantastic combo to travel with regardless of what all the self proclaimed experts on here say about it.

Milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

Calkidd
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be a lot of comments about the Sidewinder, but very little information about Pullrite Superglide. For a few hundred dollars more you will get a much better and superior product that keeps your king pin in the proper placement over your rear axle. The Superglide is very well built, automatic and you will not find a better company that will take care of you and the product for years to come even after the warranty is over.

I mistakenly bent a part (3/8" plate) in my 9+ year old 16k superglide. I was given the opportunity to purchase a rebuilt, updated Superglide hitch for a reasonably reduced price and I wasn't the original owner.