cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skylight above shower

gwinn1952
Explorer
Explorer
What do you all do to keep sunlight out? So much heat comes through the skylight.
43 REPLIES 43

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
nremtp143 wrote:
Painted it with White Krylon Plastic paint. Lets in the light, but not the heat. This is painting the outside(top) of the skylight after cleaning it.

Do you have any pics from the topside? Seems to me the paint would black it out from the inside. Must be a fine coating. Mine is starting to yellow and I want to make it look better.
2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Fortwo Passion
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has an exhaust fan in the shower instead of the sky light.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Even better - Why do manufacturers insist on installing these cheap pieces of plastic in the first place? Why not give us the option to purchase an RV off the lot without the port hole?

Lifestyle uses a Fantastic fan roof vent over there showers, instead of the skylight. A standard roof vent insulator works.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch & Di wrote:
We ordered our 1996 Carriage with a bathroom skylight in the shower and ordered the shade option. When we want light we keep it open. When we don't or when it is extremely hot weather, we just slide the cover closed.
I would take a picture of it but can't seem to figure out how to post a picture on this forum. Di

Thread Hijack

Did some buddy just get a new truck? Did you compare OEM brake controller before installing your old one?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered our 1996 Carriage with a bathroom skylight in the shower and ordered the shade option. When we want light we keep it open. When we don't or when it is extremely hot weather, we just slide the cover closed.
I would take a picture of it but can't seem to figure out how to post a picture on this forum. Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
The bubble reflective window cover for the main door fits the skylight. Been using them for years. I get them from RV dealers, I believe they are made by Camco.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
I made a skylight cover for my previous trailer.

Camco makes a reflective cover for entry door windows that was the same size as my skylight.

I bought a snap kit and replaced the interior skylight shroud screws with screw in male snaps at the corners and side center.

I put corresponding female snaps at the corners and sides of the Camco reflective door cover.

http://www.myrvtalk.com/152528-post12.html
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

Its4mykids
Explorer
Explorer
I took mine out. Hated that thing!
R.D., Kathy, Jonah(16) and Meg(14)
1994 F-350 Crew Cab, Dually, 460 with Banks P/P (50k miles - showroom new!)
1998 Prowler 31 5R

Money you can beg, borrow and steal, but you only have your kids for a season.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
DC wrote:
Why not just close the bathroom door?:E

Perhaps the shower is not in a separate room?

We also used the foam method, however my seamstress wife was able to fit our 2" foam with a cover :C Keeps the early morning sunlight out of our bedroom.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
See my previous post here:
Skylight cover
Go to my post dated 07/06/10. I described how I built it and show pictures. It blocks the light and heat. It looks a whole lot better than cramming a piece of foam in it or painting it black.
Camped in every state

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Even better - Why do manufacturers insist on installing these cheap pieces of plastic in the first place? Why not give us the option to purchase an RV off the lot without the port hole?

For guys like my skyscraper husband....lol!!! That's where his head fits.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Aftermarket idea

skylight shade
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Painted it with White Krylon Plastic paint. Lets in the light, but not the heat. This is painting the outside(top) of the skylight after cleaning it.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
jcullipher wrote:
The heat from sunlight was terrible during the summer months on ours. I removed the bottom half of the skylight , covered with aluminum foil and put it back. Made it darker, but easier for me to deal with than the heat.

I did this but used cling on window tint film between the 2

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)