cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slider hitch issue - Need Help!

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a slider hitch. After moving the lever from towing to maneuvering DH holds the trailer brakes so that he can ease the truck forward and the hitch will slide back into position slowly. But it sticks in the towing position. When he applies enough throttle to break it loose it jumps foward banging all to heck and back. Is there something we should be applying to the hitch to stop the sticking or is he doing this wrong. Please help, it feels like something terrible will happen.
10 REPLIES 10

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Was the hitch just installed? Sometimes the rails are a little out of line after installation and have to settle a bit. I had this happen. I had a hitch I had been using for ten years installed in a new truck and it was very stiff in the beginning. At first I thought I would have to take it back to the installer but after some use I was able to slide it by hand as in the old truck. Yes, keeping it lubed does help.

My hitch is a Draw-Tite 16k which is basically the same as a Reece.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
I frequently have the same problem. I think part of my problem is the "dogs" on the maneuvering lever hang up in the holes at each end of the slide. I haven't figured a solution yet, but dropping the legs to take some of the load off sounds like a good idea, even if inconvenient.
Tuba Pete

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
As others have mentioned it helps to take some weigh off the hitch before sliding. That being said, my slider is easier to get from towing to maneuvering than it is to get back into towing position. To avoid having to move from maneuvering to towing I usually use my slider hitch when backing into a campsite and then immediately unhook afterwards. If I am immediately unhooking I leave the hitch in the maneuvering position, unhook, and push the hitch by hand back into the towing position so it is ready for the next time I tow. Since I have never encountered a situation going forward where I've needed to slide the hitch the only time I have to move from maneuvering to towing is if I stay overnight in a campsite and do not unhook the trailer from the truck which is very rare (maybe once a year) and the one time this occurred this year it was faster and less stress to unhook the trailer, push the hitch back to towing position, and rehook as opposed to banging the hitch against the stops as it brook free and moved back to towing position.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
mark5w wrote:
White lithium grease is what i used.

Yes this is what my Reese owners manual specifies.

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
White lithium grease is what i used.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

LOON17
Explorer
Explorer
I used a graphite lubricant . If you use a wd-40 type , it will be a magnet for dirt and dust . But I will bet some type of lube will do the trick .
Tom & Karol
2008 Jayco 30.5 RLS
20 K B&W
2011 F-250 Diesel

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to oil or grease it?

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
WD-40 on the rails, rollers, joints, pins, springs etc. I had the same issue and once I sprayed the rollers and rails it slid easily. When you don't use the slider much it needs to be kept lubed. Good luck. Travel on.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about your slider but some manufactures tell you to drop the landing gear to take some weight off the hitch, then slide. You also must grease the slide tubes so they don't stick and jam..I switched to a Pullrite Superslide to avoid getting out of truck, moving arm into slide position and having to take weight off the hitch just to slide. Hope this helps.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably should be lightly oiled.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper