cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Something to think about..LT or ST tires

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I think all or most tire stores are watching more about what tire/size that came on the item that the tires are being put on and not wanting to stray from that because of the liability that is involved.
That would or could be a nasty lawsuit for both the trailer owner and the tire store if an LT tire blew out on a trailer that was suppose to only have ST tires and caused an accident causing a death. I'm betting the courts would rule in the victims favor that ST tires should have been on that trailer.
Just my .02 and something I always try to keep in mind.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
46 REPLIES 46

Y-Guy
... and I think we're done with yet another tire thread.

Y-Guy

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
fly-boy wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
As some have stated, some tire dealer won't deviate from the stock recommended tire size or design. I'm just saying that it is probably a liability issue as to why they won't.

Everyone do as they please but I prefer not to take the chance of a possible legal issue because I used LT tires on an RV that came with ST tires and marked on the spec tag as such, but I do make sure I have good quality tires to prevent possible blowouts.

I want and will always use ST tires on my toy hauler simply because I feel that what I read about tire design that the ST tires stiffer sidewalls are designed for the side loading or sliding sideways as you have to do with a tri-axle trailer making turns.
But again that's my opinion and everyone can and will do as they see fit.

All I wanted to do was to get the thought out there because of the possible liability issue in our sue happy society.

We will be sure to waive when we drive by you jacking your rig up to fix a flat.

Make sure you honk once so I know its you!! ๐Ÿ™‚

If you are lucky maybe one of the G rated LT tires on my rig will magically fall off and come to a rest next to your flat- Please feel free to keep it, use it and then buy a match set.

Safe travels
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
As some have stated, some tire dealer won't deviate from the stock recommended tire size or design. I'm just saying that it is probably a liability issue as to why they won't.

Everyone do as they please but I prefer not to take the chance of a possible legal issue because I used LT tires on an RV that came with ST tires and marked on the spec tag as such, but I do make sure I have good quality tires to prevent possible blowouts.

I want and will always use ST tires on my toy hauler simply because I feel that what I read about tire design that the ST tires stiffer sidewalls are designed for the side loading or sliding sideways as you have to do with a tri-axle trailer making turns.

All I wanted to do was to get the thought out there because of the possible liability issue in our sue happy society.

We will be sure to waive when we drive by you jacking your rig up to fix a flat.

Make sure you honk once so I know its you!! ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"We will be sure to waive when we drive by you jacking your rig up to fix a flat. "

Did you do that on purpose? ๐Ÿ™‚ Pretty funny, even if unintentional, in fact especially if unintentional. ๐Ÿ™‚

Make sure you honk twice so I know its you! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Raptor 428SP

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"We will be sure to waive when we drive by you jacking your rig up to fix a flat. "

Did you do that on purpose? ๐Ÿ™‚ Pretty funny, even if unintentional, in fact especially if unintentional. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:

2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:

I want and will always use ST tires on my toy hauler simply because I feel that what I read about tire design that the ST tires stiffer sidewalls are designed for the side loading or sliding sideways as you have to do with a tri-axle trailer making turns..

Wow. U have absolutely zero credibility with me based on statements like that. This doesn't even pass the common sense test.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was reading on another thread about a couple people putting Michelin XPS ribs on their 5th wheels with over 11,500 lbs. on two axles. Since the chances of both axles weighing exactly the same are miniscule, one or two of those tires are probably overloaded.

This may be part of the reason that tire dealers are loathe to change tire sizes/ranges: people think they know more than the tire manufacturers. If those tires were installed by a dealer, then I could see liability issues if someone got anal about it.

OTOH putting LT tires that are labeled with the capacity to safely carry the load on a 5th wheel is a no brainer, litigious lawyers or no.

By the by, I've handled LT tires and ST tires side by side, and in no way, shape, or form are ST tire sidewalls stiffer or stronger than LT tire sidewalls. You can take that to the bank.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer

2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Your entire post is based on pure speculation on your part with no basis in fact. Please, come back when you have facts and substance to support your argument.

Don't bury your head in the sand unless you like living in the dark. Nothing about his post is speculation. I wanted to put a specific set of tires on a Suburban about 10 years ago (I wanted LTs, they wouldn't put them on!). Sams Club refused citing that they were not the stock size/recommended replacement. My dad had a set of tire mounted on a 'Burb by Walmart last year. They were never right, truck always shimmied at 65 mph. Front end was tight, tires were rebalanced 3 times. He went to a tire shop and they told him those tires were not meant for a 'Burb. He went to a different Walmart and the service manager apologized up and down that they were never supposed to sell him those tires. They upgraded him at very little cost. No trouble now, it drives perfectly. You don't have to take my word for it, after all you don't know me from Adam and I could be blowing smoke. Get the facts for yourself. Just call around and ask what their policies are.

big buford wrote:
I like to vacation on vacation. Not change tires. My rig chews up st's in two seasons.
As said, you can be sued for just about anything nowadays. I prefer to go with what works.

I think the point being made is that a lot of shops are shying away from doing what the customer wants as opposed to putting on what was stock. I've been hearing more of this kind of thing lately and have experienced it myself. Places like WalMart, Sams Club and the national tire chains are getting funny about this. I know Tires Plus is also picky about this issue.

If you need to deviate find a tire shop that specializes in custom wheels. Putting non-stock sizes on vehicles is their core business. And places that don't stock a given type/brand of tire will work with you to either order or have you bring them in yourself.

fly-boy wrote:

In no way would a person be in trouble for replacing cheap ST tires with better quality LT tires.

That's just it though, its not "getting in trouble". It's personal liability. Of course you can do what you want. We all can. But sadly we live in a highly litigious society. Lets say you blow an LT and a piece flies off and causes someone in a nearby car to get seriously hurt. Your trailer came with STs. One savvy lawyer is all it takes to file a civil lawsuit that you deviated from manufacturer specs and you'll have a tough time getting a personal liability rider after its all settled. And I guarantee you that no how much documentation you provide to show that LTs are better, all the plaintiffs lawyer needs is a statement from the manufacturer stating they didn't design the trailer for LT tires. I'm not saying that's right, it just is. Its the world we live in today.

Campfire, you probably explained better than I did but what you said is what I was trying to convey...of course there are always people that will disagree, that's life but as you said a savvy attorney could probably get the job done whether its right or wrong...just saying I don't wish to take the chance.
2018 Raptor 428SP

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:
captainjohn2008 wrote:
I just replaced tires on my truck. First shop I visited would only replace with the factory stock tire size, stating liability issues. The next shop I visited and bought tires from put on the size I wanted, no questions asked. I was only going up one tire size, one load range up as well. Far as I can tell I put on a better tire, so what "Liability" issue would there be. First time I encountered this, I'm always changing to a slightly larger tire on my rides. JMHO.

I am not a lawyer, but I have meet some very sharp ones in my time - and those can convince Eskimos to buy refrigerators.

This would be all about following procedure. As an expert on the subject, I can make a very convincing argument - and I can argue the opposite. The lawyer's job is to convince a jury (or a judge) that doing something non-standard causes issues. Not hard to do.

Does going up a load range increase the tire pressure? Are your rims rated for that? ...

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
The guy has to be a troll- No one could possibly be that obtuse.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
My Discount tire said "man, these are beefy tires". LT Michelin XPS Ribs on my trailer.

Exactly right lincster...

JFYI, tinner12002, the national Michelin warranty department recommend the Michelin XPS ribs 235/85 16E to me when the BFG Comp TA was recalled. And they are not the same exact size as the ST tire that came on TH. And they authorized Discount Tire to install them free of charge.

So if arguably one of the biggest, and the best, tire manufacturer national office(probably over run with attorneys)doesn't see any problem recommending LT tires to trailer owners, then, tinner12002, your argument is null and void imo... lmao

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
My Discount tire said "man, these are beefy tires". LT Michelin XPS Ribs on my trailer.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail