cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ST to LT

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I know for sure this has been asked and answered hundreds of times, but have you ever searched "tires" or various derivations in the fifth wheel forum? Either no matches or 244 pages! To the point...I've gotten decent service from my mic Marathons, but time for new tires, and you LT guys have convinced me. What are some good replacements for 235 80 16, lr e? My fiver runs 11 to 11.5 k usually. I do know one option is the xps ribs, but I'm not a huge Michelin fan and man, they're spendy. Other suggestions? Should also mention I'm on a quick turnaround and not able to wait for special or back orders without canceling a trip or two. Thanks for helpful responses!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
46 REPLIES 46

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Oaklevel wrote:
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf maybe someone can do a clicky some good GoodYear Info

cr

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
What are the implications of putting on tires (245/75 16s) that say "approved" rim size 6.5" - 8"? My rims are 6". Maybe warranty? Will it degrade the tire performance?

The tires will tend to bow on the tread face slightly more than the tire designers want and wear the center faster with the narrower rim that pulls the beads closer together. This is probably a moot point for most of us since we typically replace 5th wheel tires based on age rather than wear (they age out before they wear out.) Quite a few people I'm aware of have used the LT245/75R16E Michelin XPS Rib on 6" wide rims without any performance problems whatsoever.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
What are the implications of putting on tires (245/75 16s) that say "approved" rim size 6.5" - 8"? My rims are 6". Maybe warranty? Will it degrade the tire performance?

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Wingnut647 wrote:
What about heavier 5rs?? Ours has a GVWR of almost 17000 with 2 7K axles. We want to upgrade our tires but not sure if LT's would have a high enough load rating for what we need for our toyhauler 5th.

Currently have 235/80/16's ST's.

Sorry to jump on the post...didn't want to start a new post to ask a similar question.

Thanks

Your axles have most likely been de-rated to 6750#. Your best replacement will be one of the 16" LRG tires.

FastEagle

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
gmw photos wrote:
Sadly, I have found that tire store owners, service writers, and tire shop personnel to be on average, a rather poor source of information about the technical aspects of the products they sell. Now then, having said that, for sure there are "some" who are well informed and can intelligently discuss the construction and best choices of the tires, but I've not encountered many. Most just go by what the company catalog recommends, and more specifically, they try to sell what they have in stock and/or can sell at the best markup. Many times, what they have in stock is what they got the best deal on from the wholesale supplier.

As a consumer, it pays for us to know as much as possible about any product we are shopping for. A bit of research on our end, and we'll almost always know more about the product than the guy or gal selling it when we walk into the store.

Sorta like buying RV's in general, and having to listen to the salesman tell you that a 12k FW is 1/2 ton towable.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, I have found that tire store owners, service writers, and tire shop personnel to be on average, a rather poor source of information about the technical aspects of the products they sell. Now then, having said that, for sure there are "some" who are well informed and can intelligently discuss the construction and best choices of the tires, but I've not encountered many. Most just go by what the company catalog recommends, and more specifically, they try to sell what they have in stock and/or can sell at the best markup. Many times, what they have in stock is what they got the best deal on from the wholesale supplier.

As a consumer, it pays for us to know as much as possible about any product we are shopping for. A bit of research on our end, and we'll almost always know more about the product than the guy or gal selling it when we walk into the store.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Wingnut647 wrote:
What about heavier 5rs?? Ours has a GVWR of almost 17000 with 2 7K axles. We want to upgrade our tires but not sure if LT's would have a high enough load rating for what we need for our toyhauler 5th.

Currently have 235/80/16's ST's.

Sorry to jump on the post...didn't want to start a new post to ask a similar question.

Thanks

At that weight I would upgrade rims and tires to 17.5 rated at 4805 each. The 215/75R17.5 is the same diameter as ST235's. Most of the higher end units come this way now. GY G114, Michelin, Sumitomo and others.

At your weight you are pushing GY G614 to close to their limits. ST tires are a manufacturer's crime on a two axle Thunderbolt with a rig that heavy, with a 16581 GVWR.

Chris

GVWR on my 5er is 16,950#, with 7,000# rated axles, and GY G614 tires, filled to 110 psi. Last time weighed the 5er, it weighed in at 16,300# with a pin weight of 3460#.
16300# minus 3460 pin weight leaves 12,840# setting on two 7,000# axles with 4 tires that will handle 3750# each X4 =15000# covered by axles and tires....equates to a little over 21% pin weight....His 5er has a GVW of only 50# more than mine....

I would stay with G614's or go to the Sailun 637 tires

As far as putting LT tires on the 5er, a GY Wingfoot, as Chris alluded to, will put the G614's on, KNOWING they're a trailer tire, though LT's.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oaklevel wrote:
Around here the bigger reputable tire dealers will not put an LT tire om a trailer.........

Fine then, tell them you want an ST tire that meets the higher testing standards of LT and passenger tires and it not speed restricted to get its phony inflated weight rating.

Believe it or not, but there is a marketing effort in place to scare tire dealers into such crazy logic!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Liability issues..... & my rims say for trailer use only........

JFI...... trailer wheels have a zero off set which will whip out a trucks wheel bearing in a hurry when carrying loads.
And of course we know a trailer wheel is lug centered which will also not work on a truck. The lugs carry the load.
The trailer wheels center hole is extra large to clear any extrusion.

Modern truck wheels are hub centered for better centering the wheel..... and better suited to carry a heavy load.

Of course a trailer wheel may say 'for trailer use only'....but it has nothing to do with what type of tire is mounted on it.
The only thing/person that determines the type of replacement tire on a trailer is the owner.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Discount swap STs for LTs on our last 2 5ers and I couldn't be happier and less stressed after the luck I've had with STs in Az. The first ones were Dunlop Rover HTs... put a lot of trouble free miles on them before trading it. This one has Cooper HT3s... not very many miles but I have full confidence and Cooper recommended them. A friend had a freaky accident with his 5er that had a swivel tote on the back end. After that 5er rocked high enough to nearly flip on both side and came down hard enough to permanently reverse arch all 4 springs and buckle the frame, destroying the 5er, I wouldn't hesitate to buy those same Firestone LTs. Sorry, can't think of the name of that tire he had but there was NO detectable damage. I've had plenty of personal experience with extremely overloaded grain wagons, class 8s, and work service trucks when all there was available was 50-60s 2 ply car tires and the later P series and truck tires of the 50-70s era, before there were LTs and all the gov't regulations on everything imaginable. I now have 99% faith in any big name brand LT and 1% faith in any ST. I feel perfectly comfortable running LTs all the way up to their max weight rating and perfectly uncomfortable running an ST at 500 lbs under it's weight rating. Maybe it's just an Az. problem. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
My rig came from the factory with LT's. My rims don't say anything about ST's only. Maybe you have cheap rims.

If that's the choice of the engineers who designed it, then it works for me.

I've since twice replaced them with LT's.

Never a problem.

My previous trailer, however, had multiple tire issues. ST tires. Go figure.
Hans, Kร˜HB & Colleen, Kร˜CKB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy
Heartland Big Country camping trailer
3500HD Silverado Big Dooley LTZ Go-power by Max & Allie

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
To be honest, I've been surprised by the responses of service managers (3) and a tech who, when asked "what is your opinion for my fifth wheel; st or lt?", the responses have been without hesitation st. 4 out of 4. They'll mount anything I ask and pay them to, but they all recommend st for my application. National, regional, and local stores.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goodyear G614 tires are an LT not an ST tire. Does that mean a local Goodyear tire dealer won't install them on a trailer? Nonsense. I've had 2 sets of LT tires installed on my trailer at a Discount Tire store also. Trouble free I might add.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf maybe someone can do a clicky some good GoodYear Info