cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sure glad I have a dually

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Experienced a flat rear tire yesterday on my truck while pulling a fifth wheel back from Upper Michigan. Wasn't a big deal because I was able to drive it to the nearest gas station/truck stop, unhook the rig and throw on the spare. No damage done anywhere because the other tire carried the load. I would have otherwise been immediately broke down in a ditch somewhere, along a stretch of highway, trying to change out that tire in no doubt less than desireable conditions.
38 REPLIES 38

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
My next truck will be a SWR.

Had the dually, didn't like it.. Don't like working out of it, only get the corners of the bed to read into the bed on. No fun at all.

BUT... I was not carrying 3500 lbs pin weight either.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrVan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MrVan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
lawrosa wrote:
What happens if you get a flat on the front? Whats a dually have to do with anything and going to do for you in that case???...

Just saying is all....:)

:B
IMO just another excuse some DRW owners come up with to justify their owning one.
My only wreck on the road pulling heavy GN trailers came with a DRW when the right front tire let go sending the truck into a steep sloped ditch totaling the truck and trailer.

Many times when one of the DRW rear tires goes flat the owner may not realize it for many miles and over loads the good tire. Tire mfg warns us about the affects of cumulative tire damage. Now the DRW owner may have two tire that need replacing instead of just one.

Yes I own a DRW truck in fact its #9 since my first DRW in '67.

Stir Stir Stir

If I had a dually I'd be carrying almost twice as much weight per tire on the two fronts than the 4 rear tires. Wouldn't then the risk be much higher for a front tire failure?

Loaded my front axle is 5,180# or 2,590# per tire

Loaded my rear axle is 8,870# or 2,195# per tire

No where twice the load.

Didn't say yours would be. I stated mine would be.

Just an example.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MrVan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
lawrosa wrote:
What happens if you get a flat on the front? Whats a dually have to do with anything and going to do for you in that case???...

IMO just another excuse some DRW owners come up with to justify their owning one.
My only wreck on the road pulling heavy GN trailers came with a DRW when the right front tire let go sending the truck into a steep sloped ditch totaling the truck and trailer.

Many times when one of the DRW rear tires goes flat the owner may not realize it for many miles and over loads the good tire. Tire mfg warns us about the affects of cumulative tire damage. Now the DRW owner may have two tire that need replacing instead of just one.

Stir Stir Stir

If I had a dually I'd be carrying almost twice as much weight per tire on the two fronts than the 4 rear tires. Wouldn't then the risk be much higher for a front tire failure?

No where twice the load.

Didn't say yours would be. I stated mine would be.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrVan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
lawrosa wrote:

Stir Stir Stir

No where twice the load.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
lawrosa wrote:

Stir Stir Stir

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of those single tires are solid run flat tires.(Quote)

It would appear you do not know what you are talking about. The reason the big trucks are turning to super singles ( this what they are called) is twofold. The biggest reason is for improvement in fuel mileage. Diesel fuel is the largest single cost of operating a tractor trailer.

The second is to increase payload capacity. The super single assembly weighs less than the 2 tires and rims commonly seen.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
Infinityrver wrote:

I have 19.5 tires on my '06 F-550. I have a 2011 F-350 SRW with 18" tires. I too, would like to place 19.5's on my F-350. How did you do that?

Check out Rickson Wheels

Rickson Wheels

OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We have a dually for one reason only. We needed it to be within the Carry capacity (pin weight) of our 5th wheel . Nothing else matters. I am not even a big fan of duallies. It was a matter of need not want. We did have a inside dual tire blow on I-77 in WVA and were able to get to a truck stop instead of being broke down along the road. That was a nice perk but not why we purchased the dully. Stability , don't know and makes no difference., Did not buy it for increased stability bought it for the Carry capacity.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Infinityrver
Explorer
Explorer
bigdon68 wrote:
Love my SRW. Just put 19.5" Michelins on ole blue. She does just fine.

Enjoy Rv'ing. We do.

Bigdon68

I have 19.5 tires on my '06 F-550. I have a 2011 F-350 SRW with 18" tires. I too, would like to place 19.5's on my F-350. How did you do that?
'12 Infinity 3850RL
'11 Ford F350 FX4 Diesel

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
hammer21661 wrote:
My dually is so tough when the front tire goes flat I just do a wheelie and steer with the brakes.

I do that when the front of my A comes off the ground while on the sled. 🙂

Lyle

Your weight distribution hitch is workin' nice Lyle :D:D

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
rodknocker wrote:
However, 18 wheelers are converting to 10 wheelers, going to the single tire instead of duals. Maybe they know something.............

"18 wheelers are converting to 10 wheelers" - :?.:@

Hmmmmmmmm - *some* fleets have converted their HDT Class 8 *tractors* from 10 wheels/tires to 6 wheels/tires by using Super Singles to replace the 2 wheels/tires on each end of the axles of the rear (tandem) axles with one wheel/tire per axle.
(Tandem reduced from 8 to 4 tires/wheels, plus two front steers = 6)

Some of the above have not been happy with the experiment and have gone back to the standard tandem set-up, of 8 rear wheels/tires.

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Glad all worked out good for you. I won't rain on your parade

-BC-
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
If I used my truck for anything other than towing maybe I'd want a little one like a 3500 SRW. I'd get a regular cab with a short bed too. Not.

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
Love my SRW. Just put 19.5" Michelins on ole blue. She does just fine.

Enjoy Rv'ing. We do.

Bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES