cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

thinking about changing from a class A to a 5er

fatman71
Explorer
Explorer
i am thinking about going from a class A to a 5er with bunks. has anybody done this and can offer some advice. pros and cons

Thanks
2006 Ford f-350 King Ranch 6.0l Diesel Crew Cab 4 x 4
2013 Winnebago RAVEN 3350DB
1997 Fleetwood Bounder 38z

1 wife 1 daughter 1 cats, and life to go.
Live To Love And Love To Live
16 REPLIES 16

txdutt
Explorer
Explorer
Made the switch this past summer from a Itasca 38' gasser to our 5'er. They each have certain advantages over the other in different areas but I'm glad to have made the change with all things considered on how we've RV'd over the years...
2011 Ford F250 Lariat C/C 6.7 PSD w/Curt 20K Lb Hitch & rear Timbrens
2013 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2013 Infinity 3860MS 5'er/15.5K GVW/41'
U.S. Navy 1978-1986

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
We actually went from a Montana HC 36 ft. bunkhouse to a 40ft MH Bunkhouse. There is not much living room space in a fiver bunkhouse. I do miss the second bathroom but when you are on the road, sometimes 8 hours or more, you are not in the fiver. The MH, IMO, has a ton more space all around! I don't know what MHs you all got rid of to get a FW, but I have a lot more room in my MH with the living area being used the second we leave to the second we arrive to the second we get back home. And I can carry more passengers and sleep them all.....

food for thought.

Our last MH was a 40 Holiday Rambler Navigator and we loved it. Our present trailer is a 34 Carriage Cameo and we love it. Itโ€™s true when you are moving down the road you can get up and move around and all but the driver can use the restroom. When youโ€™re set up our fiver has more living space for the only reason the slides are bigger and extend out further than a MH. That is what I war referring to about more living space in a fiver.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Funny, I have noticed over the years that MH people come outside their rigs less than 5th wheelers when parked! Do not know why, but have seen it over and over!

Chris

motorhome people are anti social ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personal preference. We thought about a MH at one time, but it just didn't fit our style, but who knows, maybe down the road we'll go that way.
Overall upkeep is most likely a little less with a 5er as only one motor to worry about, but not sure about the initial investment. Very easy to approach $200K on a higher end 5er and new TV.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Leeblev wrote:
I have had both. I like the fact that there is more usable room in a 5er and you have a vehicle you can unhook and drive around easier than a toad. My major issue with a 5er is my wife. She invariably will tell me just after I pass the exit to a rest area, that she needs to go to the bathroom. now, in the MH, no issue-she just goes
!

No offense, but it looks like you have a slow learning curve there Lee, I NEVER pass a rest area without singing out for a pit stop:B - of course I can run five or six days without a fuel stop either.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
We actually went from a Montana HC 36 ft. bunkhouse to a 40ft MH Bunkhouse. There is not much living room space in a fiver bunkhouse. I do miss the second bathroom but when you are on the road, sometimes 8 hours or more, you are not in the fiver. The MH, IMO, has a ton more space all around! I don't know what MHs you all got rid of to get a FW, but I have a lot more room in my MH with the living area being used the second we leave to the second we arrive to the second we get back home. And I can carry more passengers and sleep them all.....

food for thought.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
One last thing, when you push the button and level your MH itโ€™s rock solid inside, but when you push the button and level your fiver there is moment when you walk around. Now you can add some supports, but itโ€™s and extra step and weโ€™ve just got used to it. Really not a big deal but a surprise from the MH at first.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve had 3 motor homes and are on our 2nd fiver in retirement. Both have advantages and disadvanges. We like the more living space in the fiver; we liked the more storage in MHโ€™s. I like driving the tow around for shopping and exploring compared to a big truck. I liked the ride better in the MH vs. the fiver. I liked backing up the MH vs. a fiver into a campsite. Itโ€™s easier to get repairs done on the truck vs. the MH. I think the setting up time for both are about the same, especially if you get the self-leveling system on a fiver. The big difference is price, a nice MH cost far more than a truck and nice fiver. Maybe that gives you some bragging rights.

One thing I miss from a MH is that MH driver will always wave at you when you meet them on the road, but rarely can I get a fiver to wave. ๐Ÿ™‚

The main thing is we love RVing and I really donโ€™t care what Iโ€™m using, just as long as Iโ€™m on the road.
2011 Cameo 34SB3

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Leeblev wrote:
I have had both. I like the fact that there is more usable room in a 5er and you have a vehicle you can unhook and drive around easier than a toad. My major issue with a 5er is my wife. She invariably will tell me just after I pass the exit to a rest area, that she needs to go to the bathroom. now, in the MH, no issue-she just goes
!

Our friend decided to go to the rear to pick up a dog toy. After she picked herself off the floor she has no use of her left shoulder because of the hit to the cabinet corner. shoulder had work done on it before and it never has worked for her.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
!
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny, I have noticed over the years that MH people come outside their rigs less than 5th wheelers when parked! Do not know why, but have seen it over and over!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Wiscampsin wrote:
^...and if you can deal with the stairs as the years go by.

Our motorhome actually had 5 steps to get to floor level, 2 on the outside and 3 inside. We have a 4 stepper on our fiver and I actually think it is easier, especially with the big, folding grab handle.

We made the switch a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Going down the road is not as good for the passenger but we spend a whole lot more time parked than we do driving. We also find our expenses for upkeep and maintenance to be exponentially less.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
^...and if you can deal with the stairs as the years go by.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process. Nothing wrong with wanting a better living space which fivers have. All a function of how many days you spend on the road and if you can deal with the truck vs toad.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold