cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire and wheel experts???

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering new wheels on my 2010 Fuzion TE II, factory wheels are 7" wide, new wheels are 6". Would there be any issues I could expect running a 1" narrower wheel?
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS
19 REPLIES 19

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
jab764 wrote:
LT tires would not have the load capacity if he loads up close to GVWR. His best bet would be to go to a G rated 16" tire or upgrade to 17.5 inch wheel with H rated tires.
Sound like he's already blown the $$ on the smaller wheels. I suspect he has a world of trouble coming with that setup.

G614 tires would be best but they require 6.5" rims and 110psi.

I can't beleive I'm rising to your bait but I haven't had enough coffee yet: I'd trust 4 3100lb rated LT tires before I'd trust 4 3500lb rated ST. Oh gosh, a tire thread. Nevermind.

Its refreshing to see the TH RV community realizing this, and more and more silencing the ST Shills.

I'd trust the ST tire rating system LESS than I trust Weekend Warrior's tongue weights/gvw on the sticker or advertized, and if you know WW, thats saying a lot...!

Ever notice (why) the top American/European tire maker(s?) doesn't make any(?many?)low end ST tires...?
Never seen a Michelin ST tire, but do see how Michelin rates the LT Ribs as "trailer rated". I guess that means Michelin can't make a tire that passes the ST ruberband DOT ST tests,,,lmao.
Some other name brand(not made in China or somewhere in Asia) LT manufactures have done the same as Michelin..?
jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
jab764 wrote:
LT tires would not have the load capacity if he loads up close to GVWR. His best bet would be to go to a G rated 16" tire or upgrade to 17.5 inch wheel with H rated tires.
Sound like he's already blown the $$ on the smaller wheels. I suspect he has a world of trouble coming with that setup.

G614 tires would be best but they require 6.5" rims and 110psi.

I can't beleive I'm rising to your bait but I haven't had enough coffee yet: I'd trust 4 3100lb rated LT tires before I'd trust 4 3500lb rated ST. Oh gosh, a tire thread. Nevermind.

jab764
Explorer
Explorer
His Fuzion 322 probably has two 7000 pound axles. LT tires would not have the load capacity if he loads up close to GVWR. His best bet would be to go to a G rated 16" tire or upgrade to 17.5 inch wheel with H rated tires.
2011 Keystone Fuzion 302 TE III
2010 Dodge CC 3500 Dually Cummins 6.7L Auto
2013 HD Ultra Limited
2014 HD 1200T

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced 6 tires w/ BF Goodrich Commercial TA(made in USA)LT235/85R/16 Load Range E...paid about $160ea + mounting and balance $1120.00 in Oklahoma City - Discount Tires...drove to Mission Viejo, CA about 1400 miles with no problems...was about to buy either Carlisle, Maxxis or Marathon but were made in China...I will not buy Chinese tires, wouldn't take them if you gave them to me for free.
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife

Bamarickandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought 4 Michelin XPS Rib 235/85/16"s to go on my factory steel wheels .
Will see how they hold up.
Have not read nothing but good on them .
2006 R Vision BayHauler Toyhauler
2005 Dodge 4x4 Diesel Quad with Smarty Jr..

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
I used 235/85/16's on the factory wheels on my 2010 TEII. Great set up, no issues and reasonably priced . If you want to spend some money on your trailer, reinforce the bracing that holds up your water tank. Common failure here on the those trailers, including mine.

Agree on the water tank bracing, mine is deformed.

BigSkyTrailer_G
Explorer
Explorer
allcool ^^ nailed it. Start looking into LT tires for your rig; it'll take some research. But every ST (trailer only) tire is now made in China, even GY Marathons and Maxxis. Towmaster is gaining a great reputation for its blowouts - even on rear-mounted spares just hanging in back! forget the ST china-bombs and check out LTs by Yokohama, etc.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I used 235/85/16's on the factory wheels on my 2010 TEII. Great set up, no issues and reasonably priced . If you want to spend some money on your trailer, reinforce the bracing that holds up your water tank. Common failure here on the those trailers, including mine.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Stay with your current setup!!....Thats how i see it.

Strappy.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:
freewayrandy wrote:
I'm considering new wheels on my 2010 Fuzion TE II, factory wheels are 7" wide, new wheels are 6". Would there be any issues I could expect running a 1" narrower wheel?

freewayrandy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Why new wheels? What tire came on the trailer from the factory, and why do you feel you need to change sizes?

I like the new wheels better than the factory and I got a super deal on them brand new.

Might want to clean up those old 16 x 7" wheels and store them away, for when you see the LT light...

jmo

X2. Only a matter of time like lots have found out.... Most, the hard way.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
freewayrandy wrote:

freewayrandy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Why new wheels? What tire came on the trailer from the factory, and why do you feel you need to change sizes?

I like the new wheels better than the factory and I got a super deal on them brand new.

Might want to clean up those old 16 x 7" wheels and store them away, for when you see the LT light...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Make sure you get rims rated for 110psi in case you ever want to go to heavy duty tires.

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
face_down wrote:
Check the specs on the tires you have now...that will tell you what the rim width range is. For ex. a 235/80-16 Goodyear Marathon has approved rim widths from 6.0-7.5"

I'm running Maxxis 235/80-16 so guess I'll be good.

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote: