cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Replacement

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
I am contemplating replacing the tires on my 1999 Jayco. Yes they are the original tires and they are in great shape with lots of tread left and no weather cracking at all, it is a shame to through them away. These are not trailer tires, they are Goodyear LT235/85 R16's, I know actual trailer tire quality is really sketchy, but since these are light truck tires I have been letting them run.

Has anyone else ran LT tires for a long period of time? I am going to do some checking to see what it will cost to replace them and decide what I want to do.
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710
28 REPLIES 28

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
tegu69 wrote:
Since its a 1999 trailer, the tires are possibly from 1998. My opinion is that they don't owe you a thing. Apparently you don't put many miles on the rig or something, but I don't think I would sell them as someone suggested. A local tire store used to have a rack of old tires out front years ago. The manager told me that it was not worth the liability involved in selling them.

I bought the 5ver 4 years ago and the previous owner only pulled it to a seasonal site that was maybe 200 miles away. So it got pulled their in the spring and that back to be put inside for storage in the fall. We took it out to Yellow Stone a couple of years ago (live in Wisconsin). Other then that a few local places every year. So no it doesn't have a ton of miles on it. We are heading to Disney end of March, that is why I am contemplating new tires.
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Since its a 1999 trailer, the tires are possibly from 1998. My opinion is that they don't owe you a thing. Apparently you don't put many miles on the rig or something, but I don't think I would sell them as someone suggested. A local tire store used to have a rack of old tires out front years ago. The manager told me that it was not worth the liability involved in selling them.

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
That TS tires lasted 16 years proves that they are the good choice for you.
If you have all the right specifications of tires and 5thwh it will proove that the tires have enaugh maximum load for the GAWR's.
Sertainly dont swich to ST tires even if those give more maximum load at lower loadrating.
If in the proces you have to compare some tire choises , first look at next topic.

how to compare tires for aftermarket replacement

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
GY G rated 16" tire is the way to go for your rig. I would not hesitate running them 6 years.

1999? I would bet it has 6k axles, therefore he has lots of good choices.

XPS Ribs
R250s
R500s
Transforce
On and on.

Chris

I would suggest the same as you if E's fit his weights.. I was saying if he went to G's I would not hesitate running them 6 years and actually closer to 8.

I was looking at his pic, dually and a RV that "looks" heavy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
op says wrote:
It is an eight bolt rim. If I do tires I should probably paint the rims, they are starting to peel. Aluminum would be nice, but probably pricey.

Hmmm..... now that throws a different shadow on the picture.

Eight lug wheels and a big 37' heavy trailer may mean 7000 lb axles..... and your Goodyear LT235/85-16 tires on your trailer may be the Goodyear G614 tires at 3750 lb capacity.

If thats the case non of the LT E at 3042 lbs tires that were mentioned will have enough capacity.
The devil is always in the details so its pertinent we know the exact tires size and load range and the trailers axle rating along with the trailers GVWR. These are things the tire dealer will need to know for proper/safe fitment.

Anyhow....Its time to sell the old tire on craigslist and mount some new ones.

Also lots of folks have gone with the Sailun S637 LT235/85-16 G at 3750 lb capacity commercial grade all steel ply carcass.
These tires are much preferred on work truck/trailer forums over the Goodyear G614 tire.

I will have to go back and check on the load range, I quick grabbed the size and forgot to look at the load range.
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op says wrote:
It is an eight bolt rim. If I do tires I should probably paint the rims, they are starting to peel. Aluminum would be nice, but probably pricey.

Hmmm..... now that throws a different shadow on the picture.

Eight lug wheels and a big 37' heavy trailer may mean 7000 lb axles..... and your Goodyear LT235/85-16 tires on your trailer may be the Goodyear G614 tires at 3750 lb capacity.

If thats the case non of the LT E at 3042 lbs tires that were mentioned will have enough capacity.
The devil is always in the details so its pertinent we know the exact tires size and load range and the trailers axle rating along with the trailers GVWR. These are things the tire dealer will need to know for proper/safe fitment.

Anyhow....Its time to sell the old tire on craigslist and mount some new ones.

Also lots of folks have gone with the Sailun S637 LT235/85-16 G at 3750 lb capacity commercial grade all steel ply carcass.
These tires are much preferred on work truck/trailer forums over the Goodyear G614 tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
GY G rated 16" tire is the way to go for your rig. I would not hesitate running them 6 years.

XPS Ribs
R250s
R500s
Transforce
On and on.

Chris

1999 Jayco Designer 3710

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
Mile High wrote:
If you are nervous about running them on the trailer after 7 years of use, you can still sell them for truck use.

7 year? They are 16 years old.

hahaha - my bad! I was looking at the year of the truck!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

XPS Ribs
R250s
R500s
Transforce
On and on.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
Mile High wrote:
If you are nervous about running them on the trailer after 7 years of use, you can still sell them for truck use.

Yah, your due.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:

1999 Jayco Designer 3710

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Decent LT tires will last a good long time