cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Heavy 5er with SRW Truck

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't as my unit is 11k dry. I see a lot of SRW diesel trucks (newer models which I know handle more than older ones) towing huge 5th wheels or toy haulers.

Any of you have a setup like this? I'm talking 14,000+lbs of dry weight. From what I see the newer 250/2500 trucks pull around 16,000-17,000 at their max.

I was curious to know how these things actually tow with that much weight. Do you feel in control? Tow weight and truck is always a huge topic on every forum. I know almost everyone says go dually but not many people do.
Travis - Houma, LA
2012 Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab FX4
Firestone Riderite Airbags
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide
155 REPLIES 155

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2008Wildcat wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

One minute you say everyone has their preference, which is 100% correct, then it appears you get a bit mad by stating, the DRW is the "best thing since sliced bread"..."reeked with sarcasm for sure:)

I could also tell you that 75% of all RV delivers that I see and read about on the cummins forum or the diesel place, use dually's to tow and deliver 5er's with.

Yes, everyone has their preference, just get sick of hearing how a dually is the only way to safely tow a fifth wheel. If you believe everything that is read on here, DRW trucks would be the best selling trucks every year. Not mad, not even sarcastic, just stating a fact. Again, I've had both, and in my experience, the dually is not needed for how I use it.

I see RV haulers every day, most tow with SRW trucks. The CDL required haulers that do haul the extremely heavy 5W's use duallys. The last Grand Design Momentum 385TH that we had delivered came on a SRW 3500 truck, and has an advertised pin weight of 3900lbs. Friver said it towed fine, but he knew it was back there, which, no doubt you would know it was there with DRW also..

If that SRW had the payload rating to tow a 3900# PW 5'er all is well if it didn't, Then the driver is exceeding the manufacturer's ratings.
Those ratings are important to some and mythical to others.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
2008Wildcat wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

One minute you say everyone has their preference, which is 100% correct, then it appears you get a bit mad by stating, the DRW is the "best thing since sliced bread"..."reeked with sarcasm for sure:)

I could also tell you that 75% of all RV delivers that I see and read about on the cummins forum or the diesel place, use dually's to tow and deliver 5er's with.

Yes, everyone has their preference, just get sick of hearing how a dually is the only way to safely tow a fifth wheel. If you believe everything that is read on here, DRW trucks would be the best selling trucks every year. Not mad, not even sarcastic, just stating a fact. Again, I've had both, and in my experience, the dually is not needed for how I use it.

I see RV haulers every day, most tow with SRW trucks. The CDL required haulers that do haul the extremely heavy 5W's use duallys. The last Grand Design Momentum 385TH that we had delivered came on a SRW 3500 truck, and has an advertised pin weight of 3900lbs. Friver said it towed fine, but he knew it was back there, which, no doubt you would know it was there with DRW also..

I towed my 5vr the first year with SRW. Pin weight was 3400 lbs. With added weight of in bed tool box, hitch, people, I was 600 lbs over my door label limit. The truck towed just fine, stopped fine, but I was over and chose to get the DRW which I am more comfortable with. Fact is, the SRW was overloaded, DRW is not. If your SRW is overloaded it's not enough truck for the payload. Will you get away with it? Probably, but doesn't change the fact. It's physics. Over is over. Over
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:

2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Yeah, guess a short bed would have worked, but I'd canned the slider hitch and ...well, you know, it's one excuse after the other.....figure I got about a 2' of my truck "subject to the elements":)....but I prefer the long bed....I guess you got your "pro's" and "con's" with just about everything:)

I looked at my last post and some of it confused me:).....the back end of my truck sticks out of my carport about 2' when I pull in..

Just pullin' ya leg NC.;)

Yeah, I know.. sure is a little harder trying to keep the back couple feet of that truck cleaner than the rest:)

On another post you made. I have a human goof like you did and must not have gotten it plugged in well the only difference I had run about 30 miles on very crooked and hilly 2 lane back roads coming home from a state park lake and then about another 30 miles on the interstate before mine come unplugged.:h I didn't realize it until I was coming up on an exit when I checked my brakes like I always do well before I needed them. I was running close to 70 when I realized no trailer brakes. I was able to slow down in plenty of time but I also don't run factory brake pads.

But here again really the only difference between a srw and a drw in the same model years is just 2 tires and maybe spring set up. The trans and EB is the same.

Just goes to show, we can still make mistakes when preparing to go camping, even after doing the same task hundreds of times...Glad everything was ok with your "adventure"...and you're right, the EB and tranny's are the same for 1 ton SRW and Dually's.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Yeah, guess a short bed would have worked, but I'd canned the slider hitch and ...well, you know, it's one excuse after the other.....figure I got about a 2' of my truck "subject to the elements":)....but I prefer the long bed....I guess you got your "pro's" and "con's" with just about everything:)

I looked at my last post and some of it confused me:).....the back end of my truck sticks out of my carport about 2' when I pull in..

Yeah, I know.. sure is a little harder trying to keep the back couple feet of that truck cleaner than the rest:)

On another post you made. I have a human goof like you did and must not have gotten it plugged in well the only difference I had run about 30 miles on very crooked and hilly 2 lane back roads coming home from a state park lake and then about another 30 miles on the interstate before mine come unplugged.:h I didn't realize it until I was coming up on an exit when I checked my brakes like I always do well before I needed them. I was running close to 70 when I realized no trailer brakes. I was able to slow down in plenty of time but I also don't run factory brake pads.

But here again really the only difference between a srw and a drw in the same model years is just 2 tires and maybe spring set up. The trans and EB is the same.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
psford wrote:
Me Again wrote:
psford wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
psford, actually I'm taking no medications whatsoever, zip, nil, nada.....but again, I thank you for being concerned about my health, and again, I can show you how to block me so that you don't have to put up with me:)

Why would I want to block you, you guys are my early morning entertainment. One question I do have for you Ram ( Fiat ) fan boys , I know what color koolaid the ford guys are drinking, but have never heard what color you guys drink :B

Cummins Red!

Now would that be strawberry ,cherry , or whatever 🙂

Flavor is called Fleetguard! Chris

Good to see you guys lighten up a little . Life is too short to get that serious about trucks. :B

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
psford wrote:
Me Again wrote:
psford wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
psford, actually I'm taking no medications whatsoever, zip, nil, nada.....but again, I thank you for being concerned about my health, and again, I can show you how to block me so that you don't have to put up with me:)

Why would I want to block you, you guys are my early morning entertainment. One question I do have for you Ram ( Fiat ) fan boys , I know what color koolaid the ford guys are drinking, but have never heard what color you guys drink :B

Cummins Red!

Now would that be strawberry ,cherry , or whatever 🙂

Flavor is called Fleetguard! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
BUT...what happens if the connection between the truck and 5er comes unplugged or malfunctions?? I agree with both of you about disk brakes on the RV, BUT, I'm talking about having enough truck towing a very heavy 5er and one loses the braking ability of the 5er...it doesn't matter what kind of brakes you have on the 5er "IF" you lose the ability to make the brakes on the 5er work....THAT's when the EB, the T/H mode using the tranny to help slow one down, THEN the brakes that are on the TV itself...That's what I was getting at. It happened to me, bad thing, it was on a 7% grade downhill.....

My truck and the dinky electric brakes work like a charm, have never had an issue, they work flawlessly........until the cable from the 5er to the truck became disconnected...now, no brakes on the 5er...doesn't matter if they're disk brakes or not....if no connection, your truck now has to stop all this weight..THAT is what I was talking about.....

Agree, one has to have enough truck to stop all that weight, just in case something happens to someone while towing.....like it did to me.

Same deal for us I hooked up in the dark leaving from Page az and checked the brakes as I always do. Going down 17 towards Phoenix with out a problem with the truck holding us back I noticed at the bottom the brake controller was not working. Same thing as yours it worked out because of my goof up.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
"Until one has towed in mountainous, curvy terrain, they may never know about braking for the entire combo....thank goodness I had the truck for the job."

Know that feeling...towed 17,600 lbs over the Bighorn Mountains! Had a C4500 with lower tow ratings than our current 2011 Chevy! Thank God it was a VERY heavy vehicle and darn near outweighed the trailer!

Wouldn't try anything like that again without an extremely capable TV...looking forward to it with our current rig sometime in the near future!!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Eleven pages??? Come on, guys, give it up.

You are not required to read this! :S :S :S

Chris

I have always wondered why that a couple of you guys think you can say whatever you like as the above post, but heaven forbid some of us add a little humor, and end up being a troll ,or bully or whatever you guys chose to say . :h

Like you, I didn't realize you were being humorous, how do you know we weren't, or at the very least, a bit sarcastic.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Did I miss something? Chris

Yeah, you missed some guy that I've ticked off so it's cyber bullying time for him I guess..

oh well, guess some of them have to have something to do.......

I have read several of your posts, but I am going to be polite here, but I never seen you miss a chance to post the above ,so careful who you think is bullying who.

As far as trolling, I guess, At this point my attempt at a little humor was not well received ( isn't blood pressure medication wonderful ) I will refrain from addressing anything that you reply. Sorry that it offended you, I will be more careful in the future .

Heck, if you're just having fun, then that's fine....didn't come off that way to me, but, hey, I've been wrong many a time in my life:)....guess I misread you, sorry on my end also.....We're good:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Hauler,

I'm sorry, but if your equipment is well maintained there is NO way your umbilical can come unplugged while in motion.

Cut? ... A faint chance.

Unplugged? ... NO!

With an attitude like that you will find out what it is like stopping the trailer with the TV only!
If you stick to Florida, you should be OK, hope it doesn't happen on a grade in the hills.

Yeah, got to admit, going down that 7% grade, initially I thought, "OH CRAP!!!", no brakes!!, but got slowed with EB, and truck in T/H and again, I was only having to slow down from about 55 mph...and the truck stopped the truck and the 16,000# 5er, but again, I did smell the brakes a little, so they did the job without fade..glad I wasn't running speed limit of 65 in that area:)..

Until one has towed in mountainous, curvy terrain, they may never know about braking for the entire combo....thank goodness I had the truck for the job.

I am pretty certain of my combo, I very seldom use the service brakes on downhill grades. If running in OD (5th) and gaining speed I drop to 4th.
There is NOTHING more reassuring than the rumble of my Pacbrake!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Eleven pages??? Come on, guys, give it up.

You are not required to read this! :S :S :S

Chris

I have always wondered why that a couple of you guys think you can say whatever you like as the above post, but heaven forbid some of us add a little humor, and end up being a troll ,or bully or whatever you guys chose to say . :h