cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trailer not fitting site

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had a problem with a 35' trailer not fitting campgrounds you would like to visit.
I know some state parks are tight but has this been an issue?
Any issues in places like Glacier National Park or Yellowstone?

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We too are upgrading from a 26 foot tt to a 31 foot fw. will actually have about a foot less behind the truck. Won't be able to go to a couple places any more but will still be able to go just about everywhere we like. tight corners etc will or may be a challenge and if we can't get into the campground we will move on and park outside and do day trips in and around form our base camp. But like the others say, I believe most parks and national parks will be able to accommodate us. We have been in about 20 of our National parks and saw lots of large units. Just Do It ! ! !

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to worry about driving up to the Glacier's :W I think the name of the road is something like " highway to the sun ". It's pretty steep and they will stop you if by some chance you missed one of the signs.
I usually camp outside of both these parks and take day trips into them with just the TV.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
we have a 40' fiver and have found that almost every campground has a site long enough to accommodate us. We have found that not all sites are as they say they are. We can fit into some 35' sites others we can not. Most National Park and Forest Service Campgrounds leave ~10-20% of their sites as first come basis, but from experience we can only fit in a few of those sites so its best to reserve a site. If we are ever in the vicinity of a campground we think we may visit at some point, we try to scope out sites and mark the ones we can fit in for future use.

We have scoped out Apgar Campground in Glacier and they have sites large enough to fit our toyhauler, so they should be able to accommodate you. I just don't recall what those site numbers are.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think for getting into most parks we are at about the max with 32' and a 01 Ram Quad cab long bed. We are happy with this unit and it has enough space for us.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bgum wrote:
The longer it is the less spots available.
In a nut shell for state and federal park's. There is usually a commercial campground in the vicinity that can accommodate a larger rig.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there will be some restrictions...when making reservations or talking to a C.G this is what we say.... We are a 5th wheel 40 feet long with 4 slides and 13 feet 3 inches high. You will find one nearby were you want to go. been doing that for 9 years..
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 35' fiver. I stayed outside Devil's Tower NM but drove thru their campground (after I got set up) to see if I would fit. I'm pretty sure I would not. I did see one smaller 5er there but it seemed to be jammed into a site.

I'm just outside Yosemite NP right now. I just looked and they have 13 campgrounds, with 4 being able to take a trailer no longer then 35 ft. The other CGs max out at 30 ft or much less.

Sometimes the problem is just getting to the park. I just came from Sequoia NP. The drive to and inside the park is really twisty and windy with many really tight turns where it would be next to impossible not to cross the double yellow line pulling anything. I had no fun just driving my CC dually. I would not like to pull anything on that road unless it was a really short trailer. There were many signs on the road stating max trailer lengths.

The other times that this question has been asked, most folks seem to respond that 35 ft is about the max for most NPs.

I suggest you make some phone calls to the parks you want to visit and ask them.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have been in some state and COE parks that had a limited number of longer sites. Have not had a problem yet, but a visit at a crowded time and you possibly could find none of the longer sites available.

Ours is 35'.

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer
you're correct that we are not planning on full timing at this point but the problem is we are deciding to purchase now for retirement. That leaves some time to use the new trailer weekends and some longer trips but we still have to go to work on Monday.

I have now problem pulling almost any trailer with my truck so that not an issue. Problem comes in if I get a larger trailer now will I have trouble fitting in where we like to go. So far I don't see too much of an issue for a 35 ft trailer. I have gone to Yellowstone and like to camp inside the park. We stayed at Grants Village and would like to go back. Seems like there may be some limitations.
Not knowing for sure even with our smaller trailer we are staying outside Glacier. Would have like to stay at Apgar but not without reservations because of the uncertainty.

So back to original issue, if I get a bigger trailer now will I be disappointed where I can go.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, in reading some of your previous posts it sounds like you are not going FT, but probably half time so do not worry about a longer size. Get the biggest one your truck can handle as you are no longer a weekend camper. Sure longer is harder, but on Monday I always find a site big enough for my 42' usually in USFS CGs that do not take reservations. Forget it on Friday as a 22' camper will be in a 40' site even though the CG info says 32' max. With a FW you are higher than me so those rocks at the end of the site will be less of a problem for you making that 32' site big enough for a 37'.
The sites for volunteers are bigger and further apart than what the rest of us get to choose from if you decide to do this. In Yellowstone my 42' becomes a 40' as that's the max for some CGs. The best deal in W Yellowstone is Baker's Hole USFS a couple miles north of town. With the old farts pass sites with electric are less than $20 and make the landscaping in town look sorry. Google those in town and then Baker's Hole. My favorite USFS CG in the Tetons says 24' max BUT there is one site big enough for my rig and the car. I like this site for Public CGs as you can zoom in and look plus you can turn on the topo feature to see the elevation and how cool it will be so no need for AC.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at Grizzly outside of Yellowstone; no space problem and one of the best landscaped parks we have ever stayed at.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Not all CG have spots long enough. Some CG will have some or a few long enough. And some CG will have all spots long enough.
Best thing to do is Google the CG's you want to visit and see what length sites are available.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The longer it is the less spots available.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have 34' FW
I have gotten it in some pretty tight spots and length as been an issue

BUT the biggest issue has been height.lots of older cgs have very mature trees with lots of lower hanging branches.
They are more of a limitation then site length

AND CG tree lined roads...........windy road thru CG to sites with trees right at edge of road....makes for some fun maneuvering

Glacier and Yellowstone........we used CGs outside and drove in/thru with truck
Also did Red Bus Tour in Glacier (I didn't have to drive and got to LOOOOOOK!)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31