cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT/TH recommendation for fam of 5 with two big dogs

CHD_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Posted this in family as well but we are really looking at TH's and are new at looking at them so wanted to post here. Mods please delete if this is against forum rules.

Hello all, we may be in the market for a new trailer and wanted to ask around before making the plunge. There are so many options out there it is crazy. I want to give as much info as possible to help everyone out...

Current TT - Forest River Surveyor SP295 - 32', triple bunks, outside kitchen, small slide. Very light - 6600# loaded across a CAT.

Current TV - 2015 Nissan NVP 3500 SL - V8. Tow rated at 9600#, need to check Gross weights, we did remove a lot of weight in seats to gain more room.

Family to camp - Me, wife, 3 boys (7, 5, 3) and two 80# dogs

We prefer State Parks. Camp around 4-5 times a year. Some are long trips (just got home from a 10 day trip) and some are 10+ hours away. We do everything from the mountains to Disney to the coastal beaches.

What we like in current TT - outside kitchen is super nice. Bunk room is nice. Light weight is nice.

What we dont like - no room. It is very cramped with the small slide. The light weight also means it is built cheap with thin materials. Bed is cramped for me (6'2") with no space at foot of bed. With the small slide it is hard to set up our one dogs crate every time we go out for a longer period of time.

Other possible issues - we are getting into more "toys". We already have 3 bikes and a bike buggy for the two small ones. One already wants us to bring his bike so that will be 4 and I would guess eventually 5 bikes with us. We also like to kayak and have one kids single and two 13' tandems.

We're considering something like a Toyhauler TT to carry all boats and bikes but are worried about high tongue weights and interior room. Most that are lighter dont have a slide so are quite narrow. I've never really looked into a TH but we were parked next to a huge Voltage (42', triple axle, 20K lbs!) and they gave us a tour. Loved the garage area with the electric bunks that came down. I could definitely see the kids back there and it would be easy to set up the dog crate and carry the toys. If we do get a TH I could also see us eventually getting a golf cart for some trips but that isnt necessary. Most are setup for big toys like quads, motorcycles, RZR's etc which we dont need, just need room for the bikes and boats right now.

We have found wider bunkhouses that give more room inside which we may end up with. We are open to pretty much anything though. If we go with a new BH or something else I would get a large rack for the Nissan to carry what I could up there. Right now all bikes go inside our TT which isnt ideal to say the least.

Locally we have a lot of Forest River dealers and two Jayco dealers. I think we have a Keystone dealer now as well.

So what say all?
2012 FR Surveyor Sport 295
2015 Nissan NVP 3500 SL 5.6L
Tekonsha P3 / "New" Blue Ox Sway Pro
11 REPLIES 11

CHD_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Update - seriously looking at the Forest River Hyper Lite 27HFS.

30', single slide
6404# on the yellow door sticker
We would add in the walk through dinette/bed in the back along with the stock electric bed.
I am thinking with propane, battery and extra be we'll be around 6650# as it rolls off the lot.

I really think this falls within my NV's specs. My one worry was the empty tongue weight but we'll add the bed plus all our "toys" will be in the garage so that should go down as in all TH.

Any thoughts? We can pick it up next week if we want it.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
CHD Dad wrote:
atwowheelguy - you would be correct. It is classified as a 1 Ton van so I had to think that some TH could work. It has a 9900 Gross weight rating as well.

Is that 9900 lbs GCWR or Gross trailer weight. Take a look at the GCWR; that would include all the tow vehicle weight, including occupants, dogs, toys etc. in the TV plus the weight of your fully loaded trailer, thus "GROSS COMBINED".

With 2 adults, 3 kids and two dogs it will add up very fast.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

CHD_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
atwowheelguy - you would be correct. It is classified as a 1 Ton van so I had to think that some TH could work. It has a 9900 Gross weight rating as well.

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
NV3500 V8 appears to be a quite capable tow vehicle. 3700-4000 lb. payload and 9500 lb. towing.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

Y-Guy
As you found out, should only post to one forum at a time with the same question. If you don't get replies ask a Mod of another forum after a couple days and they can consider a repost.

This forum is for any type of Toy Hauler so you are most welcome!

Before you get to deep know what your truck towing limits are. As you already noted all Toy Haulers have a higher tongue weight requirement so knowing that number will help you stay within your limits. I have no idea what that van/truck can haul, so you really need to do your homework. My gut says you're probably better off with a larger bunkhouse TT to stay within the weight specs.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Totally understand thinking about the TH route....those rear garages are so versatile.
You will most likely have to sacrifice the outside kitchen in the bumper pull TH.

Found this KZ that could work for you. The walk through bathroom is a bit weird, but just like most compromises, we quickly adapt. ๐Ÿ™‚

MXT319

There are other manufacturers building similar floorplans, but I think they are usually heavier.
I'm sure you will be able to find one that will suit your needs....just need to be wary of the weights.

Ok, found another one...FunFinder:

Stryker

Also, if you don't want the separate garage, there are numerous open plans with the drop down bunks. Check out Eclipse. These plans usually don't have 'huge' slides, but their open-ness might make up for it.
Cheers,

Mike

asullivan920
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know this is a toy hauler thread (5'er or bumper pull).

For your TV you are going to be very limited on a TH. They are built with heavy frames to carry heavy toys and to have those large water tanks. I bet there are a few that may work but I don't think you are going to find one with the garage that your TV can handle.

I would put a bike rack or a kayak rack on the TV and store the other in the trailer. I saw a TT with a large loading door in the back that allowed them to slide the kayaks in on the floor. Also I have seen people build bike racks to go over the dinette.

To keep weight down, costs, and get more room you might be better off with a TT that has a few slides.

I do see why you like the TH! Even if I didn't have my toys I think I would still have a TH.
2017 Ram 3500 Laramie crew cab shortbed 6.7 Cummins
2013 Rubicon 1905 toy hauler

CHD_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
So my other thread got locked - is this strictly 5'er Toy Haulers? If so please move! I wanted options on bumper pull TH's if any were out there that would work. I have a van! (Mod stated other thread was locked due to this being in the 5'er TH forum)

CHD_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Big truck isnt an option, just bought the NV and we need interior room with the kids and dogs. We did look at the Chevy Express and Ford E series Diesel's before the NVP but both rode and drove like barges. I have driven 1T trucks briefly and ridden in plenty of newer ones and they are great, just work for the family. There is no way we'd consider taking two vehicles for all the trips either even though we do see that often enough.

If we cant do it, we cant do it but wanted to ask.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to be VERY limited on any toy haulers with that current tow vehicle.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't care about a fuel station, built-in generator, and large water capacity, a TT with slides would be a better choice with your TV.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL