pops8gok
Explorer
Explorer
Would like info on 1/2 ton tundra 4x4 pulling 32' 9050gvw 5th wheeler
26 REPLIES 26

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I'm now old enough to have heard that 381 HP is not enough to tow a 9000 lb GVW trailer.

How did we ever manage 20 years ago. LOL

OP... I do agree that you will likely overload the tires and the axles. LT tires and airbags are a good option if you go with a fiver.

I Personally recommend a TT for a half ton though. Its a heck of a tow vehicle.. it's just got the typical 1500 lb limitation on payload. There are may large and lightweight TT's that put the tongue weight around 700 ish lbs.

Many tow fivers with a Tundra and nearly all of them are overloaded. The owner is either unaware or has made mods to deal with the overload situation.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with most everyone, payload is the problem, and you'll be way over your truck's payload capacity with that 5er. Tundras are lighter in the rear than the front (besides the obvious difference of motor location) due to using c-channel framing in the rear, as opposed to more solid framing in the front.

I had a 2007 Tundra Crewmax and pulled a 6500# unloaded weight travel trailer, it was anemic at best.

This statement surprises me. Our TT was 7500# loaded and the truck pulled it up mountains no problem. Sure, we weren't going uphill at 70, but downshift a couple times and it actually can accelerate on 6% grades or steeper.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
My x boss bought a 150 Ford years ago, big motor. Said it had more power than the other trucks around there. He started pulling loads with it instead of the others. 2 weeks later he was putting a new rear end in it.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
To add one more log on the fire:

In 2011 or 2012 Trailer Life had a short article explaining that Tundra frames were not rated for fifth wheel towing due to the way they were designed.

That may have changed in the last couple of years, but if it has there was not much mention of it in the automotive press.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Contrary to what some on Tundra forums say, it's not close to a 3/4 ton truck.
IMO look for a lighter 5th wheel or just get a travel trailer. You'll get more bang for the buck with a TT and you'll be within all weight limits on the Tundra.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the tow package and 5.7 power will not be an issue. You will have plenty of power for that weight. Its the payload thats the show stopper. If you want to keep the truck you might look at travel trailers. Much less hitch weight with wdh...
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
pops8gok wrote:
Would like info on 1/2 ton tundra 4x4 pulling 32' 9050gvw 5th wheeler
Don't even think about it!
With typical Tundra payload ratings you will probably have well under 1000# left for pin weight and hitch once you have loaded the truck ready for travel.
You could easily be north of 1000# overloaded.:E
That typically translates to a 5000# (or less) GVWR fiver.
Stick with a TT. Your Tundra can PULL a lot more than it can CARRY.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

GWDawg1
Explorer
Explorer
Max Payload for the Tundra is pretty low, around 1500#. You are way overloaded with that pin weight. I had a 2007 Tundra Crewmax and pulled a 6500# unloaded weight travel trailer, it was anemic at best. The gas tank is small and you have to stop frequently for gas.. I now have a Ford F-250 PS diesel with the same trailer and could not be happier. Pulls like a dream. Get a 3/4 ton diesel and save yourself some headache.
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty Power Strroke 6.7
2012 Winnebago One 26RK

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
Even if you are within the payload limits, the Tundra will be straining in any kind of mountains. IMHO, the Tundra is good for up to 7,500 lbs. at the most if you don't want to overwork the truck. If you want a fifth wheel, get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I love my Tundra, but it's not designed for pulling fifth wheels unless you are talking very small and lightweight ones.

x2 Love our Tundra, no problems towing hills or cross country with our TT but would not tow a fifth wheel. Get a bigger truck, more payload.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if you are within the payload limits, the Tundra will be straining in any kind of mountains. IMHO, the Tundra is good for up to 7,500 lbs. at the most if you don't want to overwork the truck. If you want a fifth wheel, get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I love my Tundra, but it's not designed for pulling fifth wheels unless you are talking very small and lightweight ones.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A 9050 5th wheel trailer may have a 20 percent pin weight at 1810 lbs. Now add a 200 lb hitch = 2010 lbs Now add 250 lbs for stuff in the truck = 2260 lbs.

A 1/2 ton truck may weigh 2500-2600 on the rear axles. Now add 2260 lbs = 4860 lbs ....approx weights.

The truck is severally over loaded on the trucks rear P tires/1/2 ton wheels and suspension.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a tundra for the last five years and I can tell you that the truck definitely has power. Unfortunately, I'm trading mine because it doesn't have enough payload capacity for my new fifthwheel. that will be the downfall. Check the trailers pin weight and see if it is within your trucks payload capacity.