cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Normal A/C Operation?

mick2268
Explorer
Explorer
OK so wanted to bring all up to speed on my AC issue. So I called a local RV service guy, who came to my place and serviced my AC.

SO he says that units coming from factory with a "light charge" is not uncommon. It is also very easy to diagnose. He puts a multimeter on the compressor to measure amps. Mine should be pulling 13.3; it was pulling 9.

He used a line tap that resembled what we use to use to tap a water line to get water to an ice maker, only higher quality. Put some 410 in it, and it was blowing 54 degrees in no time. No cutting, no braising.

Warrantied for a year, $135 and $50 was him coming to me. He said dealers don't advertise this as an option, and many AC's get replaced when all they need is a bit more Freon.

Which brings me to ask the question: other than AC sales...why are RV systems sealed, and not serviceable like our cars and homes????
16 REPLIES 16

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been in the industrial refrigeration and air conditioning field since about 1968. Leaving a system with a saddle clamp valve is never a permanent repair. This is a temporary system access until you can solder in proper access ports. To properly charge the unit, you need access ports on the inlet and the outlet of the compressor.

I wish you luck, but it will not be a surprise that you have to have the system recharged in a year.

I just do not like to see sloppy work done and passed off as first class service.

Have a cool day or two.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
mick2268 wrote:
Sounds like you may be having a bad day Ken. But had you read my original post "Is this normal A/C operation?" You would know that #1 I have eliminated all other possibilities. ALL coils were very clean, then cleaned again. #2 Ductwork was all checked for proper air flow; All that's left is Freon. As I said before the unit has NEVER cooled the rig properly. The first year or so I thought it was just me trying to cool 29' with a single unit.

There might well be a leak; but it's a leak so small that after 4 years there was still enough freon present to run compressor, just not enough to get the air a good 20 degrees below intake air temp.

So what were my options Ken? Was I suppose to spend $1k to replace my 4 year old unit? He warrantied the repair for a year, so he must have some confidence in the tap method. It was blowing 68 degrees we he arrived, and 54 when he left. If I spend $135 every 3-4 years for cold air....I'm good!!

I was simply sharing my experience so that folks in similiar situations would know there was another option. Besides....why would he blow smoke on a repair when all he had to say was bad unit, and I would have replaced it??

Sounds to me like you couldn't have done better! Excellent report!

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
2014 wasn't the only Dometic bad run. Our 2013 15K gave up in 2015. Dometic replaced unit free with me paying for labor--that unit went out in 2016 (maybe the bad 2014 run) with a leaking evaporator. Both units were made in China--you judge. We replaced with an older unit made in Elkhart for a quick replacement. That unit is going strong 2 years later. When (if) it goes, we go to another brand.

mick2268
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you may be having a bad day Ken. But had you read my original post "Is this normal A/C operation?" You would know that #1 I have eliminated all other possibilities. ALL coils were very clean, then cleaned again. #2 Ductwork was all checked for proper air flow; All that's left is Freon. As I said before the unit has NEVER cooled the rig properly. The first year or so I thought it was just me trying to cool 29' with a single unit.

There might well be a leak; but it's a leak so small that after 4 years there was still enough freon present to run compressor, just not enough to get the air a good 20 degrees below intake air temp.

So what were my options Ken? Was I suppose to spend $1k to replace my 4 year old unit? He warrantied the repair for a year, so he must have some confidence in the tap method. It was blowing 68 degrees we he arrived, and 54 when he left. If I spend $135 every 3-4 years for cold air....I'm good!!

I was simply sharing my experience so that folks in similiar situations would know there was another option. Besides....why would he blow smoke on a repair when all he had to say was bad unit, and I would have replaced it??

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
way back when i was a couple decades younger, the street name for that clamp on thingy was "pierce valve." :h

And they were known to leak. "Jake-Legged" technicians left them that way.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
way back when i was a couple decades younger, the street name for that clamp on thingy was "pierce valve." :h

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The saddle tap clamp is nothing more than a patch. First he should have found the leak and repaired it. I have never hear of the factory unit having a "light charge". The tech was blowing smoke up your you know what.

The patch job was a waste of money. Did he even bother to check the evaporator coil being dirty. This will give you the same indication on the surface of low refrigerant charge.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
mick2268 wrote:
My unit is a 2014 Dometic 15K.

Good chance it's under the recall then. Give Dometic a call.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

mick2268
Explorer
Explorer
My unit is a 2014 Dometic 15K.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same on one of my previous trailers. It worked great for the next 7 years and was still working when I sold it.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
I considered having my AC serviced also. It is a 2015 Dometic model and has never really performed very well at all. I finally made up my mind and ordered a Atwood to replace it.

I might still have a AC tech come look at the old one. Will build a small frame for it with power and see if it can be fixed.

Your unit may be under recall. Dometic had a bad run in late 2014, most installed in 2015. Call Dometic with model number and serial number to check. They sent a mobile tech to replace my 15K on our 2015 Sierra in June of 2016, RV was out of warranty. They also gave me a 5 year extended warranty on our 13.5k as it was under the recall but still working great.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I considered having my AC serviced also. It is a 2015 Dometic model and has never really performed very well at all. I finally made up my mind and ordered a Atwood to replace it.

I might still have a AC tech come look at the old one. Will build a small frame for it with power and see if it can be fixed.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

oldretiredafguy
Explorer
Explorer
mick2268 wrote:
OK so wanted to bring all up to speed on my AC issue. So I called a local RV service guy, who came to my place and serviced my AC.

SO he says that units coming from factory with a "light charge" is not uncommon. It is also very easy to diagnose. He puts a multimeter on the compressor to measure amps. Mine should be pulling 13.3; it was pulling 9.

He used a line tap that resembled what we use to use to tap a water line to get water to an ice maker, only higher quality. Put some 410 in it, and it was blowing 54 degrees in no time. No cutting, no braising.

Warrantied for a year, $135 and $50 was him coming to me. He said dealers don't advertise this as an option, and many AC's get replaced when all they need is a bit more Freon.

Which brings me to ask the question: other than AC sales...why are RV systems sealed, and not serviceable like our cars and homes????

Curiosity killed the cat. What brand of AC is your unit?
Also 8.5K, 11K, 13.5K, 15K?
Mike

2000 Snowbird 26 RLBW
2002 Carriage LS RL3
2002 3500 QC HO-6spd 2WD, OEM Jake, Michelin XPS, B&W Turnover, V gate, Dee Zee 40 Gal Aux.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Home appliances like refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and window air conditioners usually have no charge ports. The light charge information is good to know, quality might be on par with the rest of the RV industry.