cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Urgent pull rite hitch help needed

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Our pull rite 20k hitch won"t release. It looks like the lock lever is bent up by the hitch pin. We can"t unhitch. We would like to level the trailer, but can"t figure out if we will make it better or worse. Does anyone know how to help? I do have a pix to email or text, but don't know how to post it to the forum. Stress!!! Thanks
42 REPLIES 42

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We did try that to no avail...

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm...guess I would try carefully raising, or lowering, the jacks to see if that affects it. If you do get it loipse be careful when pulling tv out as there may be downward pressure which would cause it to spring up.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The jaws are open. The lever had been pulled before we found that we had a problem. The lock lever is wedged tight against the kingpin. We can't pull forward and get the hitch to release because it is wedged.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
I had a Pullrite on my previous truck. Often I had a heck of a time pulling the handle to unhitch. Until I finally figured out that I just needed to put the truck in reverse and let it ease back into the hitch to relieve the pressure on the wrap around jaw. Then it would pull easily.

What he said. Works every time for me.

Likewise - also a slight incline either forward or back may change the procedure from putting the truck in reverse -or- putting it in drive to free up the jaws.

~

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
I had a Pullrite on my previous truck. Often I had a heck of a time pulling the handle to unhitch. Until I finally figured out that I just needed to put the truck in reverse and let it ease back into the hitch to relieve the pressure on the wrap around jaw. Then it would pull easily.
What he said. Works every time for me.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with putting the truck in neutral. By doing so you will eliminate the load whether it's forward or rear loaded. IOW, it will equalize itself. Also suggest you put your truck back in park after doing so.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
oldelmer wrote:
If you Pull Rite is like mine, you can pull the 2 pins that hold the head on the hitch. This way the camper will lift the head up and off the rest of the hitch. Then just put the head back on.

this will work as a last resort by pulling the pins on the side of the hitch, but to do it correctly you will need to find the resting place of the hitch and it will release
I get it so I see light between the hitch and the trailers pin plate. if it does not release then put in neutral and try to take tension off between the two. If that does not work get some help to try to pull release lever while you move truck slightly back and forth.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

igor2brvn
Explorer
Explorer
4huskers wrote:
If putting the truck in neutral doesn't do it try putting it in drive and then in reverse. Then apply the emergency brake. You want to get tension off the hitch. Is the truck lined up pretty straight with the trailer? Too much do an angle can does problems too.

X2. I have DW put truck in drive then reverse while I pull the release lever. Almost every unhitch requires this maneuver.
From the peak of good living
Eager to be RVing
2011 Cedar Creek Custom 36RE
2008 Ford F-350 CC Lariat DRW 6.4L Diesel
"Ford makes it, International shakes it!"

oldelmer
Explorer
Explorer
If you Pull Rite is like mine, you can pull the 2 pins that hold the head on the hitch. This way the camper will lift the head up and off the rest of the hitch. Then just put the head back on.
2010 Montana 3150RL
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 DRW, 4x4,6.7 CTD, Auto, 3.73, CC/LB
Line-X Spray in Lining
KSH Tool Box/Fuel Tank Combo

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
If putting the truck in neutral doesn't do it try putting it in drive and then in reverse. Then apply the emergency brake. You want to get tension off the hitch. Is the truck lined up pretty straight with the trailer? Too much do an angle can does problems too.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah you have to get the pressure off the jaw. We had a bent pin, took the head to our local Pullrite dealer and Pullrite paid for the repair.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Dought its bent try putting the truck in neutral and taking the pressure off the jaw it should open