cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Heater Noise

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Strange thing - We are parked in an RV park with full hook-ups so we are connected to outside water and elec (sewer too) so our 12 gal Suburban water heater is on electric and has been for almost a week. The water pump is off as is the "gas" switch for the heater.

Yesterday the water heater began to make a noise resembling water flowing through some kind of restriction, or friction. It only happens with the hot water and when I put my hand on the body of the heater, reachable inside the coach, I can feel a subtle vibration. This is not felt when I grasp any of the plastic plumbing to or from the heater. The sound is obviously coming from the heater itself. I have no leaks inside or out and the hot water flow has not changed.

Any ideas what to check or look at or what it might be?

Bob

P.S. We are in Terlingua, TX if any of you are in the area. Also why are we getting this long disclaimer at the end of each message we get?
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier
19 REPLIES 19

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
If it only happens when you are running water out of the hot water tap, it is the check valve located at the back of the water heater on the hot outlet.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would just try flushing the heater out first. Simple, won't cost anything, and it is probably loaded with junk in the bottom.

Johnadam
Explorer
Explorer
If popping noises persist, consult a plumbing contractor regarding replacement of the anode rod in the tank. Anode rods are designed to attract minerals and can deteriorate over time. Ineffective anode rods allow excessive buildup of minerals, leading to popping noises and other problems.Replace a deteriorated anode rod with a collapsible anode rod that allows installation in water heater closets without removing the tank.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this when heating the water?.......if so build up on electric element. Drain and power flush WH tank using a WH cleaning wand OR by turning on water supply with drain plug out. Depending on amount of build up you may have to remove element to clean (or replace).

If this is occurring when you are using hot water then the check valve in WH hot outlet is chattering......due to scale build up or because it is coming apart.
Check valve is internal of outlet nipple on WH tank. Replace it OR tear the internals out and install a valve on hot outlet line. Check valve is only needed when bypassing WH when winterizing.

You are in a very hard water part of the country.......so probably have both problems

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
It could be calcium built up on the electric element causing the noise.