rsbabson
Explorer
Explorer
80 REPLIES 80

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
So if the safety hitch system plus the trailer plus the truck that is no longer overloaded by stupid trailer design does not exceed the Holy GCWR then what?

Uhhh Go camping. That is the reason for the trailer, right???
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
So if the safety hitch system plus the trailer plus the truck that is no longer overloaded by stupid trailer design does not exceed the Holy GCWR then what?

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
It looks no one cares if the GCW is outside of the manufacturers spec, except for Ford, GM, Dodge and me. :h

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The idea of the tow dollie has been around for a long time. In the movie "The Long Long Trailer" from the 1950's there are a few scenes that clearly show the dolly. In the movie, when "Mickey" is talking to the guy where he buys the hitch, he clearly discusses the need for the dolly. I have the video and was able to capture the screen shots below. Remember ... this was back in the 1950's and used for towing a regular bumper-pull hitch trailer. It's not a new concept at all:

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
neal10a wrote:
The trailer suspension is the weak part for RV fifth wheel trailers. Most manufacturers put the bare minimum suspension which in includes flimsy hangers, grade 3 half inch bolts, minimal springs, minimal wheel bearing and last but not least minimal brakes. This new towing product does not help with the trailer suspension, but helps for allowing the trailer to track the TV. The only disadvantage I can see with this product is it increase the gross combined weight and increase the total length. Also the cost is $10,000 so one needs to consider if the cost is worth the advantages. One still needs a 1 ton truck to tow a 16,000 GVW trailer because of the GCW. A F350 GCW would be out of specification with this additional towing device with a 16000 lb trailer.

Don't forget the junk tires. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

momanor
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
Wow, the number of armchair engineers and the amount of speculation never ceases to amaze me.....let alone the statements that are just flat out wrong....

Yeah Dude, and they vote...Just scared myself...
2005 Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4 S/B QC SLT 48re 3:73 Pullrite 16k Superglide
2003 HR Alumascape 26RK

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
The 2 biggest reasons that I'd consider this are:

a) adding a Cowtown Sleeper to my truck in order to carry an additional row of seats easily. I often times travel with my in-laws and the extra seating would be very convenient.

b) being able to carry a golf cart in the truck bed. I'm already kicking around ideas of fabbing up a roof-top rack for a golf cart. With my current setup, that would grossly overload my truck's payload (by about 700-1,000 pounds). With this ASH, I'd have to be more aware of gross-combined weight than the truck's weight rating.

The biggest cons for me are:
a) the price. $10k is a lot to spend on it.

b) the added length. I'm also just shy of 60' long. That looks like I'd end up closer to 70'. (best guess)

My big issue with the posts and reviews are all glowingly positive. Nothing is perfect and they always smell a little fishy. maybe it's all legit, but the times I've seen, they always seem like the poster ends up being friends with Joe (ASH owner) in some way. Maybe they're friends because they gave him $10k and are genuinely happy with the product or maybe they're giving glowing reviews because they were friends first. It's hard for me to discern.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Contact patch....weight over steerable wheels....much greater braking surfaces.....all adds up to a much better 5th wheel situation. Nine out of ten engineers would agree!... ๐Ÿ™‚
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
Well that proves that it's all about payload, NOT, "Can I pull it."

Keep in mind that a Toyota "pulled" the Space Shuttle with basically the same kind of hitching system.
Gee OP - downtheroad got you on that one. LOL!!!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Johnnyvans wrote:
As a Class A driver, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that there is a reason why 8 tires are underneath a trailer that weighs up to 25 tons...cause you have to have the proper base under that weight, a base that is the rear of the tow vehicle, with that weight on those driven wheels to hopefully safely control all of that combination vehicle, 80,000 pounds, in ANY driving circumstances. Even in doubles the lighter trailer is the second one.

Isn't the whole point of a fiver over a TT to have that big solid hitch squarely riding over the load bearing center of the TV?

The laws of physics in regards to mass and motion will not change if a person wants to haul more stuff in his SUV. God be with you Sir.

I admit my experience towing things does not yet include a fiver, but when that day comes (hopefully next year) a DRW diesel will be the only tow vehicle I will trust with my family.

The goal is to have the weight over the load bearing wheels. This minimizes the impact of sway acting on those wheels due to leverage. This product does that but the loaded wheels are not the drive wheels.

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer suspension is the weak part for RV fifth wheel trailers. Most manufacturers put the bare minimum suspension which in includes flimsy hangers, grade 3 half inch bolts, minimal springs, minimal wheel bearing and last but not least minimal brakes. This new towing product does not help with the trailer suspension, but helps for allowing the trailer to track the TV. The only disadvantage I can see with this product is it increase the gross combined weight and increase the total length. Also the cost is $10,000 so one needs to consider if the cost is worth the advantages. One still needs a 1 ton truck to tow a 16,000 GVW trailer because of the GCW. A F350 GCW would be out of specification with this additional towing device with a 16000 lb trailer.

Johnnyvans
Explorer
Explorer
As a Class A driver, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that there is a reason why 8 tires are underneath a trailer that weighs up to 25 tons...cause you have to have the proper base under that weight, a base that is the rear of the tow vehicle, with that weight on those driven wheels to hopefully safely control all of that combination vehicle, 80,000 pounds, in ANY driving circumstances. Even in doubles the lighter trailer is the second one.

Isn't the whole point of a fiver over a TT to have that big solid hitch squarely riding over the load bearing center of the TV?

The laws of physics in regards to mass and motion will not change if a person wants to haul more stuff in his SUV. God be with you Sir.

I admit my experience towing things does not yet include a fiver, but when that day comes (hopefully next year) a DRW diesel will be the only tow vehicle I will trust with my family.

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
For those interested, worth a read... Funny how the author notes the ignorance sometimes found in forums...

http://fifthwheelst.com/automated-safety-hitch-system.html
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
You just knew this was going to pop up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHmDxwZlXQ

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA