cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WEIGHT QUESTION for GMC 2500

DBECHEN
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, We are considering moving up to a FW from our hybrid TT. We have a 2007 GMC 2500HD crew cab diesel with a 6' bed. we are looking at a Heartland Big Country 3950 FB (GVWR 15500). My question, will it be safe for us to tow with our current TV? Do we need to put air bags on the rear suspension? Will we be maxing out out TV and putting undue stress on it? We are trying to make a decision on the best FW option withthe hopes of going full time in the future. We would like to make one purchase and not have to buy another TV as our's is paid for already. Thanks for the help and input.
2016 Artic Fox 27-5l
2 Golden Retrievers
2007 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed LMM
Pull Right Super Slide 16k hitch
28 REPLIES 28

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have a '07 2500HD LTZ crew cab short bed 6.6 diesel etc. My 14,000 lbs. 5er has 20,000 miles on it and the truck has 105,000 miles with the original brakes.

IMHO I say your good to go
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smurf, how much over on the rear axles and GVWR?
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

smurf
Explorer
Explorer
Well guys we have been full timing for 10 years / We have an 04 364 Everest 4 slides . I also have a 50 gal tanking my bed. OO I for got we pull it with an 04 GMC 2500 HD /Allison Tran. !!! I have 150,000 miles . I have weighted it full of fuel ( 80 gal )loaded 5th wheel and was a 150# over on front axle . We travel over west of the Mississippi River CO. WA. OR. Mont. ID. Ca. NM. Minn. And all points in
between .:)
2004 GMC HD 4x4 Douramax with Allison transmission loaded.
20005 36ft. Everest W/ 4 slides loaded.
Full timing and having fun
No matter where you go there you are

Papa Smurf driver
Mama Smurf Professional Passenger

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
DBECHEN wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. We kind of thought the same thing but wanted to bounce it off people who have done it. The RV dealer said we would be just fine but they were looking to make a sale.

The GVWR of the 07' 2500 is 9200#, I did tow a Coachmen Somerset which had a GVW of 14,000# with an 03' 2500 short bed/extended cab D/A for a short time, 5er's pin weight was a little over 2700#. I tow in the mountains, and could "feel" on occasion I was probably pushing the envelope of what the truck could handle...Ended up at that time going to a 3500 dually, (only because I "figured" I might go heavier later on...and I did:), saved a little money in the long run).

As others have stated, believe you'd be pushing it trying to tow that 5er with the truck you have now...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Tinbangertom
Explorer
Explorer
Hello DBECHEN We are now proud owners of our first Fifth wheel Big country 3450ts and just went through the same cenario as yourself we have a 2008 2500hd diesel and was told by another dealer said should have no problems so I called gm manufacturer directly gave them vin # told the lady exactly our intentions and a day later gave me the specs ours is only good for 13600 so we are over weight with my wife under 3yrs to retirement I now have about 8months to look for a 3500 lol as we don't take possesion till spring hope this helps
:h Tom
:Z Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
DBECHEN wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. We kind of thought the same thing but wanted to bounce it off people who have done it. The RV dealer said we would be just fine but they were looking to make a sale.
The dealer I was at today said he wouldn't sell me the trailer, even though "Dry" I was ok. (I was going to wait for a 1500 diesel anyways.) I guess some dealers have some integrity.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
DBECHEN wrote:

If the salesman is so sure of his "facts", have him give you an unconditional warranty that if your truck's engine,transmission or brakes blow up then the dealership will pay to fix the truck. See then how confident he is with his sales spiel.

DBECHEN
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Artic Fox 27-5l
2 Golden Retrievers
2007 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed LMM
Pull Right Super Slide 16k hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Martyn wrote:
As others have said, that is too much trailer for your truck.

about X4,
Well over GVWR, and most likely over rear GAWR. Just not a good plan 13,000# dry, going to weigh an easy 14,500 wet.

I am over GVWR, but under axle ratings towing a 5er with a 9,820# dry weight and a 12,360# GVWR.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
As others have said, that is too much trailer for your truck.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
While a 3/4 ton truck can safely tow a 12,000 pound travel trailer with a 1,500 pound hitch weight rating, your truck is limited to only about 8,000 pound fifth wheel with a 2,000 pound pin weight. That is a mighty short fifth wheel. . ..

Your truck is probably rated around 2,200 - 2,500 pounds of total cargo. Assuming that the kids and wife ride in the truck, that leaves about 1,500 pounds for the hitch weight rating, and then you will reach the maximum GVWR of the truck.

With a 2,800 pound empty pin weight, and a 150 pound hitch, then you need to add what water weight might be, and anything in the forward closets to the empty weight of the trailer. You will end up with about 3,500 pounds in the bed of a dually truck with that trailer. On top of that 3,500 pounds, figure about 500 - 800 pounds of passengers and anything else you might want to add to the truck while camping (generator or bikes, ect). Your total cargo rating needed will be in the 4,000 pound range, perhaps a little higher.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I think that this will be too much trailer for your truck. We have a 2010 Chevy 2500 HD long bed, Duramax and the max pin weight is 3000 and max trailer weight is 13,300. Our 5th wheel weighs 12,280 loaded (no water) ready to roll and the pin weight is 2840. This setup pulls just fine, but I would not want to go any heavier.
You can find a FW that will fit within the tow limits of your GMC, but it takes some looking and you need to know your tow specs. Now I will get flamed as someone will post that they pull what you are proposing with their 2500 SRW and have no problems. Be that as it may, we prefer to stay within our limits. I'd like the truck to last us a long time.

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry but you are looking at too much trailer for that truck.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have 3000+ pounds of available payload?? The unloaded hitch weight comes in at 2825lbs. I think with passengers, hitch, and loaded up, you will easily be above 3500 lbs for payload. I think you are easily in 350/3500 territory. Just my opinion though, from someone who use to tow race car haulers.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized