cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What 5 R's are Aluminum Framed

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
Doing some research on 5 rs. want aluminum framed. will be pre owned.

what manufacturers and years are aluminum framed? Know AF 06 and later and Alpenlite all years.

asked this same question when I got my camper 3 years ago, helped in my search.

Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

WoodedOne
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfstream Canyon Trail (which we have) and their identical Sedona are aluminum framed.

InTheMitten
Explorer
Explorer
Primetime Crusader and Sanibel are aluminum framing.
Scott & Loni
2015 Crusader 260RLD
2008 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Taka & Rosie (Shiba Inu)
Kodiak (Elkhound)1996-2011 RIP Happy Guy

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jayco Eagle is aluminum framed

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Sunnybrook has alum. framing and the entire units are very strong. Nobody has a stronger frame and that keeps the rest of the rv from flexing to pieces. Even our 2000 25'er had a 12" boxed frame. Our 98 31'er had 14" and our 08 31'8" has 16". Quality went down their last few years (about 2010 and later but our 08 is great. We had to go up to this nearly 32'er to get all the creature comforts we wanted. Big corner shower, bed slide, two recliners, more storage and huge basement. We also love the rear kitchen and the Morryde makes it ride awesome. We paid $25k from a friend who took great care of it and he added a bunch mfgr options and his own. Good stereo, speakers, solar, 2 - 6 volt, fantastic fans in all the vents, power monitor and on and on... Good luck! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally I am not be bothered by an aluminum framed wall, I just wish they could come up with something besides aluminum windows. They are the worst offender of heat/cold transfer.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
More to ponder on wood or metal framed sidewalls. This is a paste and copy from nuwaowners.org (HH II) website a few years back;
NUWA
Why doesn't NuWa use an all aluminum structure like popular Indiana manufacturers?

NuWa made the decision to begin the use of aluminum structure based on marketing and the fact that many people were concluding that an "aluminum caged" product was superior in construction technology, weight and strength. Our 40+ years of experience as a leader in 5th wheel design suggests that may be "flawed" information. We have proven that wood construction need be no heavier or less strong than aluminum construction, that is built properly. We now build both materials, and are comfortable doing either, however our opinion is still that wood construction provides a superior product, and today we use both in the construction of our trailers. The strength of the NuWa trailer is actually created by the superior and light weight Blue Dow foam lamination concept.

NuWa uses an aluminum substructure in the sidewalls and ends of the coach only. No aluminum in the floors or attics, where metal promotes conduction of cold and moisture resulting in condensation.

90% of the walls are Blue Dow Structural Foam, rather than wood or aluminum. This creates a superior insulation and the only product with a guaranteed sidewall R Factor. (Water absorption in standard white foam reduces R Factor over time, and the use of Blue Dow Structural Foam eliminates this problem.)

NuWa's aluminum substructure sidewall is actually a "hybrid" wall, as we core fill the aluminum with wood in those areas where additional strength is required, because aluminum will not hold a screw. Not so with the lower priced brands. With NuWa's combined use of wood and aluminum substructure, you get a superior product because of NuWa's unique Blue Dow foam vacu-bond process, which makes the sidewalls virtually resistant to water penetration.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Wow. It will take me some time to digest it all. Reply to some of what the comments:

Budget: thinking used, $20K to maybe $30k.

Wood being a good building material: I agree, am a structural engineer and do most of my projects with wood. But living in the Northwest where it is known to rain occasionally (200 plus overcast or rainy days a year). Arctic Foxes had wood roof trusses.

Thinking of about 30 feet max, would love longer but want something that fits state park sites easier.

Wife an I will retire end of Jan or mid Feb 2015. will do a 10 to 15 day road trip in our Lance 950S camper. that probably will get the 5 VR hunt in high gear.

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
mine also.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

redsb3
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
FYI
Its really about quality not materials. Many good rigs are built with Aluminum framing because it's easier to get consistent quality.
But some of the best, say like most (all?) New Horizon and Excel by Peterson are wood.

Don't walk away from an excellent rig simply because it's wood

New Horizons website says "full aluminum caged". I don't believe they've used wood for quite some time.
2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

raygreg
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
All NUWA HitchHiker II models have aluminum studs but use wood rafters
:B

Not all. My HHII 2005 has wood studs. Not sure what year they switched to aluminum.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
We had a Snowriver truck camper that was all wood. It was so solid it would put most fifth wheels to shame.

I would imagine the shorter, more compact something is, like a truck camper as opposed to a 40' 5th wheel, that the smaller unit would be compact, ie, more "solid"....No shame with my 5er, it to is VERY solid.:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a Snowriver truck camper that was all wood. It was so solid it would put most fifth wheels to shame.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I believe my 2011 Brookstone was completely aluminum framed.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine too
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD